Finally got my 65 Riv Gran Sport home. Pics inside.

Guest Rob J

Guest Rob J

Well folks, here it is finally. It took a while to get here due to the super slow shipper, but it is finally here, along with the parts car. I've just started cleaning it out, and making an inventory of the parts. Here are some pics I snapped of it today.

Let the fun begin. Once I get the parts organized, ect... I plan to first pull out the motor, and give it a really good inspection to see what I am dealing with. The motor was rebuilt back in the early 80's. I have the documentation and blueprint sheet from when the engine was rebuilt. The owner claims he only put around 3k miles on the car, and then he started a full restoration in the late 80's. Being that he aquired Cancer, went through a divorce, ect...., the car has been sitting since then.

I'm hoping things on the engine check out, and it does not need a complete rebuild. If clearances check out, at the very least, I will replace gaskets, oil pump, water pump, ect...

I am sure I will have tons of questions as it goes along.

Rob.

87GNand65Riv037.jpg

87GNand65Riv038.jpg

87GNand65Riv040.jpg

87GNand65Riv048.jpg

87GNand65Riv046.jpg

87GNand65Riv042.jpg

87GNand65Riv045.jpg

87GNand65Riv041.jpg

87GNand65Riv061.jpg

OK Rob: I think that your parts car might have possibilities for many reasons.........

1 It's a 65 Riv

2 It doesn't look all that bad in the picture

3 If you are going to do a number on the primered car the gold car doesn't really seem that far gone. A set of aired up clean whitewall tires and hubcaps would be a radical improvement of it's appearance.

Could you post some pictures of the gold car. I'm very curious as to it's condition. Actually I hate to see any 65 Riv with potential get pieced out, but that's me. Thanks, Mitch

Guest Rob J
OK Rob: I think that your parts car might have possibilities for many reasons.........

1 It's a 65 Riv

2 It doesn't look all that bad in the picture

3 If you are going to do a number on the primered car the gold car doesn't really seem that far gone. A set of aired up clean whitewall tires and hubcaps would be a radical improvement of it's appearance.

Could you post some pictures of the gold car. I'm very curious as to it's condition. Actually I hate to see any 65 Riv with potential get pieced out, but that's me. Thanks, Mitch

Trust me, the parts car is trash. It has lots of rust on it, and it is missing it's engine and transmission (well actually missing the block) The rest of the engine's parts are in the trunk)

The Sahara Mist car is getting a Body off Restoration, as it is a GS with an LX block. It too, will be lots of work, but it's not near as far gone as the parts car is.

I'm sure your neighbors were "thrilled" to see those two cars show up in your driveway! Ha! :D

I was thinking the same thing!:D Looks like a plush neighborhood for old junkers to be sitting around. :D:D

Congratulations Rob on getting it home. Exciting huh.

Its a good thing I live out in the sticks. I've brought home some really ugly ones almost so bad I couldn't bear to look at them myself.

Guest Rob J
I was thinking the same thing!:D Looks like a plush neighborhood for old junkers to be sitting around. :D:D

Congratulations Rob on getting it home. Exciting huh.

Its a good thing I live out in the sticks. I've brought home some really ugly ones almost so bad I couldn't bear to look at them myself.

Yep, this is the first time my neighbors have experienced the, "junkers". I figured that I would of heard something from them already. They are only parked in front of my house temporarily. I am going to store the 87 GN at a family members house, so I can have room in the garage to work on the GS. I will be moving the parts car soon as well, as yes it is pretty FUGLY.

My house looks like Sanford and Son now for the moment. LOL.

I'm sure the neighbors are talking behind my back already. :)