Classic car insurance w/o garage

Guest skibum

Guest skibum

I'm looking for basic liability insurance on my 1960 Ford F100. It would add around $300/yr on my standard auto insurance policy. The classic car insurers would be less than $100/yr including comp/collision, but they all seem to want the car to be garaged. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brad

That's correct. If you're keeping the car outside, and/or using it for daily transportation, then it doesn't meet the standards for a "pampered" antique vehicle, which is what the specialty insurance companies want to cover.

You don't state that you're using it for transportation, but if you are and you have state antique plates on the truck, you're not within the guidelines of your state's DMV.

Sounds like you're better off just paying the $300, that's my suggestion.

I think the main reasons they want cars garaged is obviously an added deterant for thieves but also cars left outside tend to derestore as my friend calls it at a much accelerated rate over garaged cars. They are insuring your car on it's current condition. If garaged it generally will be in similar conditiion in 5-10 years unless you have a really crummy garage. One left out in the northeast that long with no grage will be a pile of rust in that same time. Effectively changing the value of the car they originally agreed to insure.

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

Guest billybird

Afew years ago, Haggerty's told me they would consider insuring a vehicle stored in an enclosed trailer, If it was locked and on your home property.

I've had collector car insurance on my two cars since 1999. Until I built my own garage last fall, they spent the winter months in a storage facility about 7 miles from my house and summers I kept them in a protected area of my back yard, outside, with car covers on them. Every year when I renewed my insurance policy, I had to fill out a small survey and one question dealt with how they were stored, etc. I was always honest about it and the insurance company never questioned me. However, I never had a claim so don't know how they would have reacted if something happened while they were in the yard.

Yes I am! My biggest fear is a fire burning down the house and me being unable to get my cars out in time! People think that a garage will automatically deter all ill will, in my mind you are one lock away (if you have that) from someone having the same access, most garages today have the motors, which can be easily tapped into, giving the thief access and access which is hidden. Just think if you are on a trip, a burglar gets into your garage, they can close the door, have access to everything and unlimited time to get into your cars without being seen. I am just saying! I prefer mine garaged but there are just as many minuses as leaving a car outside.

I have a detached garage which also serves as storage for 2 cars. I also have a small shed off property which stores one for the winter while I am working on one in my workshop/ shed. Finally I keep two on my enclosed trailer most of the time. I have to rotate them depending on what I am working on and what I am showing and or driving.

Back to the starting question... It seems that the answer as already stated is down to how much you drive the vehicle. If this is a daily driver, please be safe and insure it as such, if not and you do end up with a claim, there are ways to find out that you violated the terms of your policy. If it is a seldom used/ show vehicle, be truthful about your storage conditions to your insurance company. If you must come up with a way for indoor storage, a quick and easy way is to buy one of the canvas quickie sheds. Cost is only a couple hundred bucks and they are usually good for a couple years. Harbor freight, Northern Tool and many others have them.

The reason that you buy liability insurance is to project you from a very large lawsuit.

If an insurance company can find a way not to pay they will.

If your "classic car" is only a daily driver, one of your neighbors or a dear enemy will inform on you. Not to mention the beat cop that has had his eye on you for a while.

I knew ofan older car that was registered as an antique and he only used it for going to work daily. It was obvious as it was a rat, and not something that he is or will be working on.

I had thought many times to turn him in, but someone beat me to it.

Guest skibum

Thanks for the comments. I know the limitations on the classic car insurance and they fit my usage of the truck just fine. I just don't keep it in a garage. I only drive it once every month or two, so it seems like I should be able to insure it for a lot less than my daily driver. Are there any other insurance options I'm missing? :confused:

Thanks,

Brad

I guess it depends where you live, of course back east garages collapse under snow, there is just something about a car in a garage which isnt so safe either. What I do is unplug the motor when I am away and I do have a sprinkler system in the garage. If you do not have a garage you have to pay a little extra from what I recall...

Skibum, check with a few of them and have them check the endorsements for your particular state. Different states often have different requirements for insurance companies- and being in NC I'm sure you're aware of that state's "peculiar" insurance laws. A couple of collector insurance companies would not write business in NC because they couldn't/wouldn't comply with NC state car insurance regulations.

NC is one of the few states I'm aware of that if the insurance policy runs out, a State Trooper is on the scene shortly to remove and confiscate the car's license plates.

Guest austinsailor

I use Gulfway. They're a race car/collector truck insurance company.

They have 3 reasons I'm with them.

1. It doesn't have to be locked up.

2 I can pull trailers. I have found only one other collector insurance company who will, and they just started. Hagerty, Taylor and all the others will not cover you if you ever pull a trailer, not just while you're pulling.

3. It can be in most any condition. Mine looks just like it did when it came out of the barn after 30 years. Most want it painted and fixed up real nice.

I pay about $180 a year for full coverage, agreed value of $1500.

Give them a call, I think they can help you.

Gulfway Insurers - A Leader in the Specialty Insurance Industry

I was lucky yesterday as my garage that I keep my cars in was broken into at 1:15PM in broad daylight. They took a crowbar to the steel door and pryed the door open . My partner in the garage, just happened to drive by and saw the guy in front of the door. He pulled over and called me as I live 1 min. from the Garage. We found his partner in crime behind the building in their SUV. We called the cops and one of the guys took off before the cops got there. The one was arrested and the other has a warrant for his arrest. This garage has thousnds of cars passing it everyday. If a thief wants something he doesn't care if he is breaking the law. I'm VERY LUCKY that my partner just happened to pass by at that time or they would have cleaned our clock. I don't like to make insurance claims.

Guest dokks6t9

I just received my bill for the year for my classic cars. It came to just under $200 bucks. I do have to limit my driving to less than 2500 per year per car, and it can't be used as an everyday vehicle going to work, etc.

Inquire with Safeco Insurance. I don't think they require a locked garage. I have my 1993 ZR1 at $475/yr with a stated value of $30,000 (keep in mind I'm in Los Angeles). An allowance of 2,500 miles annually. All others are either with JC Taylor or Grundy.

Guest bofusmosby

I've got all my cars insured by State Farm. No questions were ever asked about a garage, and the total for the 37 Pontiac is in the $130.00's a year. Full coverage for $8,000. Before they would insure the car, I had to send them photos proving that it is factory stock, not a hot-rod. They even wanted a photo of the engine.

Guest austinsailor

Gulfway will do cars, but only if you have a truck insured with them first. He has a Ford 100, so it should work for him. If he had a car I wouldn't have mentioned it. I didn't find their car insurance to be as competitive. They specialize in trucks and race type stuff.

Edited by austinsailor (see edit history)

Guest Foggy norm

It seems in recent years, insurance co's are willing to give partial year policy's. If the regular cars are insured with them. I've always put PL/PD on the old one's. As long as there mechanically sound,I want to drive them whenever, when the weather is good. If there is an accident, I get it home and rebuild it, in this hobby that's where the passion is for me. What I really enjoy about being a shadetree mechanic. Also, you could say I'm a shadetree computer guy.

That would depend on the state's insurance regulations. In VA it wouldn't happen. In NC, if the car has a license tag, insurance is mandatory (see earlier comment about seizure of plates).

I know some Upper Midwest states do this. One of our Olds club families moved to Charlotte NC from WI where they had partial-year policies. They were a little surprised to find they had to have mandatory year-round coverage as long as the car had plates.

'Course y'all have that left-turn-on-red thing up there too, which surprised us as it would get a ticket and hefty fine here. We couldn't understand why we kept getting horn blasts, dirty looks and middle finger salutes when we visited Lansing in 1997.:confused:

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)

Insurance companies do illogical things! My 89 Caprice Classic is garaged right next to my 72 Cutlass Antique! Although it is a daily driver, I'm retired and It's seldom used! I had it completely repainted 2 years ago, and new side chrome installed! It has low mileage and is never driven in rain or snow. Still, my insurer refuses to issue an agreed value policy, even if I'll pay extra for it! So if the car is stolen, I'll get book value which can't be more than a few hundred for a car that I bought 7 years ago for $5,000 and had repainted for $3,500. According to them, it's betterment! Not better for me, only for them!

That would depend on the state's insurance regulations. In VA it wouldn't happen. In NC, if the car has a license tag, insurance is mandatory (see earlier comment about seizure of plates).

I know some Upper Midwest states do this. One of our Olds club families moved to Charlotte NC from WI where they had partial-year policies. They were a little surprised to find they had to have mandatory year-round coverage as long as the car had plates.

'Course y'all have that left-turn-on-red thing up there too, which surprised us as it would get a ticket and hefty fine here. We couldn't understand why we kept getting horn blasts, dirty looks and middle finger salutes when we visited Lansing in 1997.:confused:

Left turn on red??

Guest Foggy norm

Yes JOHN Maine, There are two type's of intersections you can turn left on red. This should be familiar, flashing red arrow or flashing red light, of course when traffic clear's! The other is old tight intersections (difficult to see light above you), with posted sign stating, when traffic clears to complete left turn on red. Scared yet!

i assume its a 4 door? I have issue with my 94 SHO, no winters , barely any rain. It sets between my 66 mustang and my 68 300 in my barn and only has basic liability.

Insurance companies do illogical things! My 89 Caprice Classic is garaged right next to my 72 Cutlass Antique! Although it is a daily driver, I'm retired and It's seldom used! I had it completely repainted 2 years ago, and new side chrome installed! It has low mileage and is never driven in rain or snow. Still, my insurer refuses to issue an agreed value policy, even if I'll pay extra for it! So if the car is stolen, I'll get book value which can't be more than a few hundred for a car that I bought 7 years ago for $5,000 and had repainted for $3,500. According to them, it's betterment! Not better for me, only for them!

I was lucky yesterday as my garage that I keep my cars in was broken into at 1:15PM in broad daylight. They took a crowbar to the steel door and pryed the door open . My partner in the garage, just happened to drive by and saw the guy in front of the door. He pulled over and called me as I live 1 min. from the Garage. We found his partner in crime behind the building in their SUV. We called the cops and one of the guys took off before the cops got there. The one was arrested and the other has a warrant for his arrest. This garage has thousnds of cars passing it everyday. If a thief wants something he doesn't care if he is breaking the law. I'm VERY LUCKY that my partner just happened to pass by at that time or they would have cleaned our clock. I don't like to make insurance claims.

Proves my point!

Yes JOHN Maine, There are two type's of intersections you can turn left on red. This should be familiar, flashing red arrow or flashing red light, of course when traffic clear's! The other is old tight intersections (difficult to see light above you), with posted sign stating, when traffic clears to complete left turn on red. Scared yet!

I have never seen a flashing red arrow or flashing red light for a left turn on red here in Maine or New England. I've also never seen a sign stating that it is okay to complete a left turn on red when traffic clears. Our intersections have a red light at which you stop until you get a green arrow or a plain green light. A green arrow means traffic coming the other way has a red light; a green light means that you can turn left when traffic coming the other way has cleared.

Maybe a flashing red is a southern thing?

Maybe a flashing red is a southern thing?

John, He is from Michigan.... so it is not a "southern thing". A flashing red light in NC means the same thing as a stop sign. I have never heard of a left turn on red here, but at a flashing red light, after stopping and making sure it is safe to proceed, you can go.