Just Bought a 1925 Touring!

MikeC5

• 1 month later...

Congatulations Mike. It is making fine progress. I agree about the shift pattern but I suppose it is something you will get used to. The shift pattern on my Austin is different again from the Dodge but at least both just have three gears - the modern I have just bought has SIX and I keep forgetting which one I am in!

I hasten to add that this is my wife's new car; my own modern is an automatic so no problems!

Ray

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Thanks Guys, I haven't refinished the steering wheel yet (thus the gloves). I'm thinking I might make up a little magnet thing to put on the dash to remind me of the shift pattern.. I drive a stick as a daily driver so muscle memory works against me here.

And as for the pink '56 T-Bird, I can't think of any other car that would look as good in pink! It was good seeing you too Bill. Maybe you can post an update on the tanker?

Mike, VERY, VERY nice! What color are you planning to give the old girl? Could you please tell me what make tires you're running? Are your disc wheels 21"'s? I've still got the 21" rims with the wood wheels, but have a complete set of disc wheel set up that came with car, including the drums, different spare tire mount with the bronze "DB" center medallion. It looks like you're really having a blast tooling around in the Dodge! I wish I was as close as you to getting a running car, but I'm working on it. Best regards, Pete.

Thank you Gentlemen... I'm leaning towards some shade of blue on the body with black fenders/aprons. I know it was originally all black but I just have to have a little color. The wheels are 20" Pete. Tires are Firestone 'deluxe champion', 6.0 x 20. My spare tire/wheel holder isn't on there yet but it sounds like what you describe. It's fun alright but I'm sure the whole neighborhood heard me grinding gears!

Since 47 ? Wow, that's inspirational to say the least.

Nice job Mike. Oh by the way, tell the new neighbor (if you have any) you'll be passing out ear plugs soon so if he needs them just stop over and grab a pair then watch the look on his face :eek:. That'll break em in right ;). Just kidding, gotta respect the neighbors for sure.

Again, very inspiring.

Thank you Gentlemen... I'm leaning towards some shade of blue on the body with black fenders/aprons. I know it was originally all black but I just have to have a little color. The wheels are 20" Pete. Tires are Firestone 'deluxe champion', 6.0 x 20. My spare tire/wheel holder isn't on there yet but it sounds like what you describe. It's fun alright but I'm sure the whole neighborhood heard me grinding gears!

Forgot about that chip, still want it ?

Great, thanks Jason. I've attached a photo of a steering damper-type device that came with the car. I'm guessing it was an aftermarket accessory, or is it a DB part? Would this reduce tendency to shimmy? The springs continue along the axle for at least a foot in each direction. It appears the friction of these springs against the axle acts as a friction damper.

post-74074-143139055398_thumb.jpg

Guest john69

The engine serial number bears no resemblance to the car number nor the year model; my '25 was actually built in '24; you need to use the car number, which is on a plate on the toe board, or the same number is stamped on the frame on the passenger's side, just aft of the front fender's joint with the splash apron on the outside of the frame. My '25 is a "special touring" has the disc wheels and plated radiator shell; I can't see if yours has or had cowl lights, but that seems to be another prerequisite. I think most all the open cars during this period had all steel bodies; if you need some pictures of the backseat area, let me know what specifically you need and I can take some. Contact me at york@napanet.net John

Great, thanks Jason. I've attached a photo of a steering damper-type device that came with the car. I'm guessing it was an aftermarket accessory, or is it a DB part? Would this reduce tendency to shimmy? The springs continue along the axle for at least a foot in each direction. It appears the friction of these springs against the axle acts as a friction damper.

Its aftermarket, I have never seen that type but I would keep it on the car as long as it has not become fragile

Guest john69
Here's a photo of the 1925 touring car rear compartment showing the rear seat cushion out, and the rusty steel inner base, from mice-- luckily, only surface damage, but there is no extra parts to support the seat cushion, whereas it sits in the steel recess supported by it's own perimeter seat spring edge. The heel part of rear floor has two riveted tabs able to turn them, to hold or release the rear floor board. Any trace of original matting, rubber or fabric is gone, I'm holding up a replacement ribbed floor mat put in years ago. There are many "punch tabs" in lower front seat metal frame, rear, that held some kind of a panel, long gone. It would have gone about 1/3rd up the back from rear floor. The second photo is the driver's side floor-to-cowl welting, I believe it to be original. The pass. side welting is gone.

The tabs on the front seat back are crimped over a fiber tack strip, that is used to fasten carpet to the lower part of the seat back. There is nothing between the seat springs and the base of the body (the sheet metaqo) theupholstery is crimped into the sheet metal perimeter of the spring frame, which is formed sheet metal

Guest john69
Yes, this is an anti shimmy device; my car does not have this type, but it does have anti shimmy springs out on the tie rod ends, much the same as model T Fords did as an acessory. My old Dodge from high school had none and did not shimmy; I'm tempted to take them off and see if this was a "solution in search of a problem"

Hi Mike, I notice that John 69 rightly points out that the Model T had anti shimmy offered as an accessory where Dodge Brothers did not need them. I may be wrong and I welcome correction, but your Dodge was better engineered. The T had tranverse springs and I believe the front axle was not directly located which led to shimmy (and wander). As you say correctly set up, you should not have a problem with what is a good design. As I say, I welcome correction if I'm wrong.

Ray

Guest john69

I quite agree with R. White as to the (lack of) need for anti shimmy devices on Dodges; the one I had back in the '60s sure did not have any tendency to shimmy, and I noted that my present '25 does have similar devices on the tie rod ends, why, I do not know; I guess if the tie rod pins and bushings were worn, perhaps some shimmy might present itself, but this car shows little wear and tear; one of these days I will remove the devices and see if there is any need for them. As I said previously, these devices may be " a cure in search of a problem", so far as Dodges are concerned. John

I'll eventually do some with and without comparisons... As for aftermarket accessories, is it fair to say there were salesmen who would push things that people didn't necessarily need? A radical thought I realize...

I have quite a few Jim Handy salesmans strips, you would not believe how similar the sales tactics were in 1929/1930 to todays hussle.

Guest Killerbunny
......except everything was in black and white back then.....:rolleyes:

Sad but true..<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>;)

• 1 month later...

That does look good Mike, may I offer a bit of advice......Get the unit cut in however you want it with whatever paint you are using and put it on the car to paint it, I have found these front aprons to have quite a bit of flex and wiggle room and if you paint it and then put it on the car it will most likely have a tendency to spread out a bit and will in some cases cause your nice new paint job to crack and flake where it has flexed.

That pan looks like the one that was owned by the fellow that has posted here in the past that owns all the military vehicles, he has the Dodge he was inquiring about for sale on E-bay now but I did not think to look and see if the front pan was missing. Is this off the same car?

That is no doubt a sound piece of advice Jason and I will take it. There is indeed a lot of flexing going on to get that thing on there. It wasn't the military vehicle guy who gave it to me. I will let him identify himself (or herself) if they wish.

• 1 month later...