63 Riv' rear wndow exterior trim removal

Guest daidock

Guest daidock

Hi. Following on from another thread re leaking rear screens, can anyone give a good step by step guide on how to take off the exterior stainless trim mouldings please? I've looked it up in the book but must be having another(!) off day, as I don't understand it and obviously I want to avoid damaging the trim. I can't find any threads giving details either. Do the mouldings just 'pop' off? The book seems to say to start in the middle of one of the runs. How do you actually get under it? Help!

I use a window trim removal tool I picked up at the parts store and a stir stick beveled on one end. Use the stir stick to wedge under the trim. Then slide the tool across until you hit a clip. Pry it toward the center of the window opening. There is a nub on the outer side of each clip that the trim snaps into. Be gentle with every clip. All that being said. Monday morning call a glass shop and ask how much they charge. If they say $20. Pay them to do it.

Guest Kingoftheroad

I tried removing the stainless window trim on my classic, after messing with for a while, I just paid a glass guy a few bucks to remove it. I was just afraid of damaging the clips or trim or something.. However, the trim goes back on real easy providing nothing got broken during the removal process or some other complication...

Guest daidock

Thanks for the advice. I'll ask around here to see if there are any pros to do this job but I'm not hopeful, living in the wilds of Wales. I shall peer at the trims a little longer!

You need a tool that looks like this:

K-D Tools 2038 Window Moulding Remover - Toolfetch.com

You can make one out of a flat piece of metal. Slip it under the trim, slide it left or right to get up behind a clip, rock the tool to make the tip swing away from the body and the trim pops up.

It helps if you can see how the clip is in the car, how the trim clips into it.

I got lucky mine popped off with a screwdriver. Just a lil pressure and pop

Yes, sometimes they will, especially if the clips have been bent by previous owner.

Or you will bend the stainless trim.

Or break the clips.

Go for it.