1989 Coupe

ptt

I went and looked at a red/tan 1989 Coupe today. It shows 139K miles. Front bumper has been dented slightly and lower grille under the bumper is gone. Top has spotty clearcoat issues. Normal wear on the dash buttons. Average tire wear. Female sales person had been driving it for a couple weeks and it started to overheat one day. Parked it. She says it "puked" a lot of antifreeze. Imagine that:eek:. Carpeting will need relplaced as something metal was left in back of the seats and rusted the carpeting. Didnt get to turn it on to do touch screen diagnosis. What would be a good offer on this car? I know the overheating issue has ramifications but if it hasnt hurt the engine Id like to rescue this car from this ricer/tuner carlot! All thoughts appreciated!

Water pump? Thermostat? Blown head gasket? If water pump/ thermostat figure $50.00. Labor 2 hours $200.00. Bumper and grill about $250.00 or so. Rear carpeting may or may not be available, but can be redone using a dye. Paint job? Take it for an estimate. Then use the above pricing off the sticker price of car and that is were you start.

There may be some nice ones for sale here on this site as well as on Ronnies site.

The price of $2150 was tossed out there during our conversation. I need to get a test drive and system diagnosis at the very least. Dont want to throw down a couple grand then find out the Teves system is kacking out or other things. I did crawl under it as far as I could and the underside looked like it has been a garage queen most of its life. Cradle bolts/rubber felt good. Generally, it looked like it hadnt seen any salty winter roads:eek:. Need to do more looking at it for sure.

Take it to a mechanic that you trust and have him check it out. He will charge you $50 or so for the service. But then you can go into the negotiation with your eyes open.

If the front glass is broken, start talking parts car pricing. It is $1500 for new front glass.

And yes, the lower grill is the same 88-91.

Guest 88atta

Based on what you have stated to date (condition, price, etc.), my advice to you is... run .....do not walk away from this ride...and keep running...don't even look back. There are still a lot of nice Reattas out there for that kind of money without those types of starting up costs and extra work involved. Do your home work and keep looking (my opinion only). Good luck!!

Edited by 88atta (see edit history)

First go into the status screen and see if the VIN displayed matches the car. Does the a/c work ? Need to run for at least a minute to see if any warning screens show up. Need to pull codes as well and make sure all warning lights are working and go off properly.

Also assumes all glass is good, none is cheap.

If take to a mechanic, make sure he understands that Reattae are "different"

At first I read $1250 for the car and that sounded about right for that condition.

I'm agreeing with Padgett on the $1250 price. I would buy this as a parts car, and go from there. If it turns out that it's easily salvage able, or you just wanna go crazy with it (like a S/C engine swap, Camaro exhaust, 17" rims, maybe change the int. color and just have fun with it [this is what I would do] ). Your choice. But I would not pay more than $1300 for this car.

I wish it was only $1250 but no such luck. All the glass is good no cracks or scratches. No 16-way seats. Not getting to start or drive the car hampered any further idea of its mechanical condition. Needs paint. I didnt see any obvious rust. Ive come across another 1989 Coupe. Its black w/camel interior. Was at one time entered in the Reatta show in Ames Iowa. Dont know if it won, placed or showed! Looks great on the computer screen. Has real wire wheels. Asking $4000. I think it was a 108K mile car. Twice the money but ten times the car!

I'm not sure what you are asking us (if anything) or are to trying to tell us.

You tell us about the first car that you have not started or driven, you have not provided any photos of it, and the seller provided no history or records on the car. You want us to tell you what it's worth but it would be impossible to give you even a ballpark figure without more information. NCReatta gave you the same answer that I would have given. Assume it is a parts car unless you drive it and know what it will cost to correct all the problems. All the body work would kill the deal for me at any price. You would be better off finding a Reatta ready to drive unless you can do the body work yourself $$$$$.

Car number two sounds a little better but just the fact it was entered into a car show and looks good on a computer screen tells you nothing about the value or condition of the car. The wire wheels on the car tells me the seller is not serious about showing the car because those wheels would be deductions on a judges scorecard. Reattas did not have wire wheels as an option from the factory. They might add to the resale value of the car for certain buyers who happen to like them. If the seller does not have the original wheels that would be a negative for me.

Sounds like you are getting Reatta fever. Don't let that fever get so hot that you get burned when you make a purchase.

From the replies Ive gotten from everyone I think I have come away with a lot of good old common sense and deductive reasoning. I have a few pics of my '88 Coupe but havent figured out how to post them. I work for the RR and have sporatic free time to pursue my passion....rescuing Convertibles. I rescued the '88 Coupe from a 19 year old who was going to put a wing on the trunk deck and stripes down the middle of the trunk/top.hood. My problem with that car is its 40 miles away on a friends farm in Holt, MO. Im finally getting my two car garage ready to start restoration on the Reatta and a '94 Lebaron GTC. Yeah, Ive got Reatta fever but not to the degree Im buying blind. The Black Reatta with the wires is not my prefference if only because I know how hard is is to keep a black care looking its best. at one time I had a separate Convertible for everuday oif the week but have long since regained my senses and reduced the herd to two. Ill try to get pics up of the '88. Thanks all for your thoughts.

Prolly something else forgotten but the idea of a racing stripe used to be to know where the corners of the car were. Before slant nosed cars it was hard to tell where the corner of the car was and the idea was to be able to take a sight line to the edge of the stripe and there would be the corner. Important to know when close to other cars & sans bumpers.

Go under the Message: block and click on "Go Advanced". DOwn about a page you will find "Attach Files" and click on "Manage Attachments". Select "Browse" and find the picture(s) to attach and click on "upload" and when it comes back, "close". Then "submit reply".

Anything else requires a web server and HTML.

Still trying to add pic to sig.....:(
Want to add a picture to your signature line? Here is how to do that.

--------------------

1. Click "User CP" in the menu at the top of this page and scroll down to "Edit Signature".

2. Scroll down to the section that says "Signature Picture".

3. Click on the "Browse" button and select a picture on your hard drive.

4. Click on "Upload" button.

(You should now see your signature picture below where it says "Your Current Signature Picture".)

5. On the right side of the picture click "Insert Signature Picture".

6. Click the "Save Signature" button at the bottom of the page.

Your signature picture should now show up in your signature line.