I'm being given a Maxwell project...help!

Guest TurnWalt

Guest TurnWalt

This was my wife's grandfather's project and he became ill and passed before it got completed. It has been sitting on blocks in a somewhat dilapidated workshop for about 10 years. I've checked on it a couple times a year and and it's in pretty good shape but needs some work. I've rebuilt old tractors but I've never restored one to parade quality...and that's where my wife expects me to take this.

Her grandmother doesn't know many details so if anyone can help me figure out where to start I'd appreciate it. I don't know the year or model so where can I find that info? I have no problem rooting out old parts, manuals, etc so if there are places you recommend to look (and places I don't want to look) please feel free to share. It's a really cool car and a fun project. I have the space and the tools and the time so I'm kinda looking forward to it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 2 months later...

Everything I see on the car in question points to the 1906 Model L. Body side panels, springs, little rack on the rear and slot in the side of the hood all match.

post-37352-143138535969_thumb.jpg

I just got a Maxwell L Tourabout like yours, though your car looks more complete than mine.

I suggest you join the Maxwell Briscoe Owners Group on Yahoo. Also, check the Maxwell Messenger. Also, I suggest you join the HCCA. There are a number of Maxwell owners in that group, and we intend to start a Maxwell group within that club. In addition, Vern Campbell publishes the Maxwell Register, which lists lots of Maxwell owners. Where are you located?

Phil

Guest muledeer

Another great source for info and parts is Merle Simonsma ( alias; Maxwell West), he lives in sacramento ,california ph number 916-682-2038 if you have an engine number on top of the little aluminum cover on top the engine that would help identify the year.....it looks like a 1906 gentleman's speedster as far as i can tell , possibly a 1907 model RS. great looking project.

Edited by muledeer (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
Guest TurnWalt

Thanks to all! I finally have gotten this little project home along with a lot of paperwork from the '70s-'80s that verify this is a 1906 Gentleman's Speedster. Unfortunately, there is nothing that tells me anything about how to even start this thing let alone repair it. Rumor was the gentleman whose project this was was one or two parts short of fully operational, but I wouldn't dare assume that's true nor which part(s) that may be.

I'm fairly mechanical and very comfortable with older vehicles, but this one has me stumped. Any ideas where I can find a manual to start from?

Guest TurnWalt

Oh, and he was intent on keeping this as original as possible. Anyone know where I can get this thing painted Brewster Green in North Central Texas?:o

You might try the Chrysler Historical Collection in Michigan...

Danielle Szostak-Viers

Chrysler LLC

Corporate Historical Collection

CIMS 410-11-21

12501 Chrysler Freeway

Detroit, Michigan 48288

They may have a copy of the instruction book.

Guest TurnWalt
You might try the Chrysler Historical Collection in Michigan...

Danielle Szostak-Viers

Chrysler LLC

Corporate Historical Collection

CIMS 410-11-21

12501 Chrysler Freeway

Detroit, Michigan 48288

They may have a copy of the instruction book.

I have an original parts book for this car and I've seen several letters to the Chrysler Historical Collection in the pile of papers that came with the car. I will contact them ASAP. Thanks very much!

Once you're signed onto Vern Campbell's Maxwell Register, you can find the nearest similar car and study it closely. Any body shop can paint your car. It's the prep work that takes the time, so you may want to do that yourself. Your car would have been Maxwell Green (a popular dark green color also known as Brewster Green, British Racing Green, etc.) and the running gear (chassis, wheels, springs, axles, etc.) red. Try to join a nearby HCCA and/or AACA chapter and the members there will suggest a good local paint shop.

Phil