1957 Ford Fairlane Clock lens

A local watchmaker is rehabbing my clock, I wonder-does anyone know if a reproduction lens is available? I have new speedo and PRNDL lenses and bezels and would like a new clock lens. Buying one that matches (yes transparent things can be mis-matched:) ) will be lots easier than making one.

Guest Jim_Edwards

There is a professionally refurbished '57 Ford clock on ebay now you might want to look at. ebay item 150568623656

Jim

Guest Jim_Edwards
Thanks Jim.

You're welcome. However, I would like to point out the idea of dash lenses even in the late 1950's having the exact same appearance may be a somewhat hopeless quest as it was a time of a mixture of glass and plastics of differing types all on the same dash. Not even a new car in the day enjoyed all instrument lenses being of exactly the same materials.

Jim

Guest Julian

"Not even a new car in the day enjoyed all instrument lenses being of exactly the same materials. "

JUST goes to show that the "goal" of the auto maker was to get the car out the door and in your driveway and sell you another one in 2 to 3 years. These things were not meant to still be around.

Guest Jim_Edwards
"Not even a new car in the day enjoyed all instrument lenses being of exactly the same materials. "

JUST goes to show that the "goal" of the auto maker was to get the car out the door and in your driveway and sell you another one in 2 to 3 years. These things were not meant to still be around.

Exactly! A great part of the car buying public would buy a new car every two or three years and vehicle warranties were 6 months or 12 to 15 thousand miles, whichever came first. It's nothing short of a miracle that so many cars from the '50s and '60s are still around given it was a slap 'em together, get 'um out the door world in those days.

Jim

Exactly! A great part of the car buying public would buy a new car every two or three years and vehicle warranties were 6 months or 12 to 15 thousand miles, whichever came first. It's nothing short of a miracle that so many cars from the '50s and '60s are still around given it was a slap 'em together, get 'um out the door world in those days.

Jim

It was the fantastic styling that was their saving grace. Today's cars, while technologically superior, have all the style of any other appliance. Therefore when they are used up they go to scrap just like my old stove and fridge.

Guest Jim_Edwards
It was the fantastic styling that was their saving grace. Today's cars, while technologically superior, have all the style of any other appliance. Therefore when they are used up they go to scrap just like my old stove and fridge.

Can we say styling along with attractive interiors and the opportunity for buyers to make choices regarding the interiors and paint schemes. And just how much technologically advance are today's car verses those cars of the '50s and '60s? Well we do have better brake systems, maybe better transmissions, and typically longer engine life, which may in part be from non engine design factors. What really hasn't happened is significant improvement in fuel use when one compares weight of vehicles and gearing on an leveled comparison field. We've probably milked that for just about all there is with the nature of presently available fuels.