ID This Car

Guest garygreen187

Guest garygreen187

Here is my great grandmother's sister and her husband. Interesting seating arrangement. I believe the picture was taken around 1915, give or take a few years but I don't know the make or model of the car. Anyone care to take a guess?

post-74022-143138470248_thumb.jpg

Your photo of the 1906 Cadillac in front of the Antiques shop is a Model M light touring. The Model K and M were one cylinder "Tulip" bodied autos. The Model H Cadillacs had four cylinder, 30 HP engines and a longer hood. There is apossibility that it could also be a Model L, which had a 40 HP, four cylinder engine. Check out all of Cadillacs models.

Good luck!

I would not rule out the Chatham. It was a very limited production car, and one that I have not seen in person. The ad is very close. The Cadillac was sold without lights, and I have seen many different brands of lights on the early models until they became standard issue. When trying to I.D. early models quite a few look alike. I don't know if body or coach-builders may have supplied bodies to multiple manufacturers during the early 1900's. There were hundreds of manufacturers early on, and I doubt if they all had their own exclusive supplier of bodies. Just an opinion.

Guest garygreen187

Thanks, I think we're getting closer. Both the Chatham and Cadillac G and H show similarities to the car in my picture however there are some differences. The Chatham levers and front fenders match but the rear seat box is longer in the Chatham. The tool box, rear seat box length and trim sweep near the rear door match the Cadillac. The pictures of both the Cadillac and Chatham I have been able to find on the internet are of poor quality so it's difficult to do good comparisons. Particularly, the hood and radiator top contour in my car doesn't seem to match either.

I agree with you concerning the radiator. It appears that the radiator shell has some kind of pattern or ribbed surface to it. The 1906 Model L cadillac has a braking mechanism on the rear wheel is identical to your photo. After closer comparison, the rear door handle on the Cadillacs are lower than those pictured. Close but different height. Will keep looking. Good luck!

Unless the mystery car photo was taken in Canada it is very unlikely that it is a Chatham. Notice in the Chatham picture that the tool box is in a different place.

The reason for the difference in the height of the door handle is that this car is a 1907 model and most pictures are of 1906 cars. In the Crestline Cadillac history book are several pictures of that era and it appears that all 1907 models have their door handles mounted a little higher.

The model H was on a 102" wheelbase and used a 4 3/8" x 5" (300 c i) engine making 30hp. The Model L used a bigger 5" x 5" (392 c i ) engine making 40hp and was on a 110" wheelbase. The pictures I have seen show the Model L as having a sculptured top to the door where the Model H door is straght across the top.

The Standard Catalog (mine is a second edition 1989) lists the Model L touring car as being a 7 passenger model. The car in our picture does not look to be a 7 passenger so I reckon it is a 1907 Model H.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Perhaps the 1907 Cadillac. - RICK

The model G introduced in January 1907, was the first Cadillac to use a conventional sliding gear transmission - all the other models used planetary gears. Notice the cross shaft for the shift and brake levers is further to the rear on the Model G. It was a smaller car on a 100" wheelbase.

From December 1908 all of the previous single and four cylinder models were dropped and production centred on the new Model Thirty.

• 5 years later...
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2011 at 6:00 AM, garygreen187 said:

Here is my great grandmother's sister and her husband. Interesting seating arrangement. I believe the picture was taken around 1915, give or take a few years but I don't know the make or model of the car. Anyone care to take a guess?

IMG_2608.JPG

Gary Green

Do you know where the photo was taken?