The Periodic Table of Sports Cars

Blue90

I haven't been on the Forum for a long time but I wanted to share this with Reatta people. I was sitting in my favorite cafe, Beaterville Cafe, the home of the Beaterville Car Club (Portland, Oregon), waiting for my breakfast; I was reading the January 2011 edition of Car & Driver magazine and came upon this on page 25.

It's called The Periodic Table of Sports Cars. It can be accessed by going to CarandDriver.com and typing in The Periodic Table of Sports Cars in the search box in upper right.

They classify the Reatta as a poseur-oid. My dictionary defines poseur as a noun: an attitudinizer; person who adopts poses and affects opinions, etc, in order to impress others.

We're in some pretty interesting company.

Enjoy.

Stanley;)

I would interpret their description of the Reatta in a non-flattering way. Of course, I always [half] joke that guys with over the top sports cars (Maserati's, Lambo's and the like) are spending their money on such ostentatious displays of vehicular excess to compensate for, uh, other inadequacies.

I don't care if I can't smoke another car off the line in a Reatta. Let those goofs get their tickets for drag racing, and pay the outrageous taxes and insurance requisite with ownership of a "real" sports car. I can live without it.

KDirk

I'll just go post a link: The Periodic Table of Sports Cars - Feature - Car and Driver

I find it odd that they put the Studebaker Avanti in the same "poseur-oid" category as the Reatta. I've seen many an Avanti (with the right engine/transmission/driver combo) that could beat a Corvette to pieces. Even ones up to '98 I believe.

I also see that they put the Corvette in "Collectible metals".. Ironic because the Vette is fiberglass... :rolleyes:

I really pay little attention to the mass media. Really started when Motor Trend was soliciting reader votes for "Car of the Year" and at the same time they announced in Automotive News that it would be the Aspen/Volare and to get the contratulatory adverts in.

Amen Padgett....... rating of automobiles all depends on who sets the criteria and what they are measuring or rating.

Every month Motor Trend, Automobile, Road & Track and others test vehicles that most of us could not afford to pay the insurance, let alone keep it maintained.

I've always been a fan of C&D (and David E Davis stuff in general). They just seem to have the right 'attitude'.

Not sure how the Prowler made the list. It is more of a retro hot rod than a true blue sports car. How does it do in an autocross?

Also, I would have much rather seen the Fiat entry be a 124 Spider, rather than an X1/9 The 124 Spider was a better car, better value when new, much longer production, and even still has a fan base today. (Though since I drove a 124 Spider for a while back in the mid-1970s, I am biased...)

As for the Reatta being classified as 'poseur-oid'? Well, we all have our opinions on that one. Frankly, I'd much rather autocross my 944. But on a casual sunday afternoon with the top down? Reatta hands down. Same with long 'great American' road trips. And I think the Reatta is a much better looking car than the T-bird (new or old) or the Chrysler TC.

Guest Richard D

If we wanted to drive sports cars, thats what we would buy. I have had my share of sports cars(91 NSX=best) I wanted a Reatta, so that's what I bought.