Replacement steering wheel '63 Riv

Guest daidock

Guest daidock

Hi. The steering wheel on my '63 is badly split and generally in a bad way. I think my best option is to replace the wheel for something like a Grant wood rim. Does anyone know which Grant boss/adaptor I need to order to fit the Riv'? I emailed a company called J C Whitney in the US but they haven't replied. Any help much appreciated. Any UK Riviera owners out there? Dave (AKA Isolated of Wales!)

If you like the wheel you have, "google" steering wheel repair and see what you come up with. I've seen articles in restoration magazines and "hot rod" type magazines that show how to repair cracked steering wheels with epoxy resins.

Ed

Try Jegs or Summit Racing. Both are online and can handle both the wheel and adapter, and should be able to ship to the UK. The catalogs show a different installation adapter number for the 63 than for the 64. I ordered both when I changed my wheel, just to be sure I was covered. I am told there is no difference in the columns on a 63 and 64, and ended up using the adapter for the 64 on my 63. This is the wheel I went with. Installation kit is shown on the same page. Good luck.

Grant 1178 Grant Mahogany Collectors Edition Steering Wheels

Guest daidock

Thanks Ed & Steve. I'd wondered about trying to repair but it is truly bad! I think whoever owned it must have put severe strain on the poor thing! Shall probably go with a replacement but keep original for possible future use.

I had a 60 Starliner that had a Badly cracked steering wheel I used some epoxy resin and it worked great! Drove it for years never had it crack on me. I'd say try to fix it first nothing looks better then a restored stock wheel. IMO