'90 headlight switch on eBuy

NCReatta

well, it's cheap, it's never been opened before, and worst case scenario, you send it to Jim to rebuild.

just my 2-cents.

Well, if all you want is one that is cheap, with no promise that it will work, just to send to Jim, you might as well keep the one you have and send it to Jim to begin with. Just my 2¢.

Well, if all you want is one that is cheap, with no promise that it will work, just to send to Jim, you might as well keep the one you have and send it to Jim to begin with. Just my 2¢.

Well, what if you wanted to have a spare on hand to use in your car while your original was getting fixed by Jim?

Well, what if you wanted to have a spare on hand to use in your car while your original was getting fixed by Jim?
If that's the case, wouldn't it make more sense to order a rebuilt from Jim instead of buying a pig in a poke from this eBay seller? At least you know you can trust Jim to make it right if it doesn't work correctly. This eBay seller guarantees nothing.

If that's the case, wouldn't it make more sense to order a rebuilt from Jim instead of buying a pig in a poke from this eBay seller? At least you know you can trust Jim to make it right if it doesn't work correctly. This eBay seller guarantees nothing.

True.. Well, the price is pretty cheap.. if someone wants to pick it up, then great. If they don't then great.

Whatever floats your goat!

Guest Richard D

The switch in the picture does not look a bit like the switch in my 1990 coupe. Same shape is all. I saw a 1967 Pontiac goat and it was NOT floating after a hurricane.

Edited by Richard D (see edit history)

Jim requires an exchange when he sells a 90 headlight switch, so in order for Marck or any one to have a spare switch on hand, an extra switch would have to be purchased.....

These ebay sellers can list "no returns accepted" all day long if they like, but if the item that is sold is not worthy it is covered under Ebays Protection Program which amounts to the items price and one shipping charge that can be recovered - takes about a month but it works......

I have a question please folks .... how in the heck do some folks destroy the headlight switch main "push pad" or whatever it is called (the plastic piece that is pushed or keyed to cut the lights on). Like in the picture for this for sale switch - the push pad looks as if some one was using an ice pick to cut it on and off??????

Edited by nic walker (see edit history)

...I have a question please folks .... how in the heck do some folks destroy the headlight switch main "push pad" or whatever it is called (the plastic piece that is pushed or keyed to cut the lights on). Like in the picture for this for sale switch - the push pad looks as if some one was using an ice pick to cut it on and off??????

The black overlay coating simply wears through with use and the white plastic base shows through. I have accumulated three spare headlight switches (one w/fog light, one w/Twilight, one with neither) and all three show signs of wear on the button tops. Unfortunately, the Reatta switch is the worst of the three... Fortunately it is 100% cosmetic and has no bearing on how the switch works.

The wear probably has a lot to do with the particular driver. For example, if someone chain smokes and eats a lot of greasy food with their fingers. After 20 years the accumulated crud that builds up is fairly nasty. Anyone who frequents Pick N Pull yards knows exactly what I am talking about. OTOH, the radio knob on my Rendezvous has worn the same way. We bought it new and no smoking or greasy foods have ever been involved. Maybe women who keep their fingernails longer than us guys do?

Golly.. Up to $127.50..

Who would pay that much for a switch in that condition? my '90 red coupe has a nicer switch than that one.. and it's got just under 200k on it... :confused:

I guess a person who has a goat to float:
Originally Posted by NCReatta viewpost.gif

It did fetch an amazing price Marck - don't tell Jim Finn what it brought :). I think this was just an unusual case (as in the buyer HAD to have one now and was having little luck in finding one) as the switch appears to be Well used and with damage to the top switch pad...

From my post above I had the following question:

I have a question please folks .... how in the heck do some folks destroy the headlight switch main "push pad" or whatever it is called (the plastic piece that is pushed or keyed to cut the lights on). Like in the picture for this for sale switch - the push pad looks as if some one was using an ice pick to cut it on and off??????

Is it possible that a female makes the "claw" or gouge marks on the top switch pad please?

Thanks,

Nic

Guest steveskyhawk

Acrylic fingernails. And the auction isn't over. My guess is it will actually sell for around $200. There is no supply and the demand is high. Micro Economics 101

That switch can be made to look quite nice. The big plus is it hasn't been tampered with. The seller was aware of this switch's value in spite of it not being pretty. If you need it you need it or drive during the daylight hours only.

It appears that there were only 3 bidders on the switch, and one of the bidders bowed out at $125.00 which is probably the average going price (I think that is what Jim sells them for). Then there was two bidders that just didn't seem to care about money matters verses having the switch. Amazing that the switch sold for the high of a price, but this happens occasionally when you have two people that want something (the same thing) bad enough. I had a left (yes - Left) outside rear view mirror that I advertised as "with repaired crack in housing and refinished in satin black" . The mirror had about the same number of bidders and sold for just under 175.00....this was amazing as well - again had two bidders that didn't care about the economics of the situation and just wanted the part.....and it never happened again that I know of.

I was in a local salvage yard for some parts [Yes there are some parts I won't dig through snow for] for our church's upcoming car repair day. This place [not a u pick] charged me $45.00 each. I bought them just because of that eBay auction.

$202.00 minus $45.00 gives me a whole lot of wiggle room...

Dave,

Good answer.

I deleted my other post about a lady looking for a switch to purchase outright as I found one for her at a reasonable price and sent the information on to her.

Jim

eBay has a real problem. People who misrepresent the products they sell and then buyers who cheat the honest sellers.

There was a guy on the Buick general discussion that had done to him exactly what you are advocating. Sold a rare intake w/dual quad carbs and the buyer "swapped" the parts he needed and sent it back as "bad" and asked for a full refund. To keep his own integrityreputation intact he sent the refund and came on the forum and asked for an opinion if sending the refund was the right thing to do.

I pull what I need for my cars and on occaision try to help others, but prefer being a supplier to Jim Finn or Kingsley Baker so they can deal with "issues" such as what you are promoting...

Have run into something similar but was a long time ago. Person needed a special and rare Grand Prix tach for a show. I agreed to send him one in return for his. One he sent was a common garden variety Tempest/GTO tach and when I told him it was the wrong one he refused to return my original.

Learning experience.