lead additive in my Buick?

Guest john300

Guest john300

Ok I know I got alot of questions but, What kind of gas

are most of you guys runnung in your old buicks?

Is unleaded ok? You running Lead additives? Straight methanol?

Jet fuel? :D

I use regular grade gas in the 56 without lead additives with out any problems. Hi test 93 octane in the GS which will stillping on a hard aceleration. The 56 is 9.25 to one compression ratio and the GS is 10.5 to one.

Buick valve seats already have a higher concentration of nickle in them so you do not need lead additives, however, I do mix stabil and some marvel mystery oil in the gas. Recently I have heard that there is a good antidote for Ethanol in a product called Star Tron. Havent tried it yet.

Guest Dan Cook

I started using Star Tron Solution last year in everything. I started with it for my small engines, lawn mower and such and figured it would be good for the old big engines. Seems to work alright.

Dan

Guest 53Nailhead

As JD already stated, I have also been burning regular with no problems.

This question comes up from time to time & is like asking what oil to use....if 100 people reply you could get 100 different answers :D......10w-40 with top lube. Right or wrong this works for me & the 'ol Buick runs strong.

May have derailed this thread but always interested to hear what others are running & may change my mind/ formula accordingly. Now I have to go google star tron....

Edited by 53Nailhead (see edit history)

I too add Star Tron to my fuel with each fill up. I am using this product at the strong suggestion of the local marina operator who adds it in bulk to their underground fuel tank. There have been no ill effects and if it eliminates ethanol related problems,which I believe are much more to be feared than the lack of lead,then it is of significant value.

Guest pfloro
Does it remove the ethanol or just keep it from pitting your parts.

I don't think anything exists (for the consumer) to 'remove' ethanol from gasoline. Star Tron claims to keep the water (which ethanol easily absorbs) in suspension so 'phase separation' doesn't occur.

I have been using a product from Bell Performance called MIX-I-GO for almost 15 years and 140,000 miles in my '84 Olds Toronado (still my daily driver). I was beginning to have pinging issues and a slightly rough idle @ about 60,000 miles. Rather than switch to higher octane fuel (have always used 87 octane), I found out about MIX-I-GO. OK..., it had a funny name but the company had been around for a century. Within 5000 miles, it completely eliminated the pinging and also made the idle incredibly smooth. Carbon deposits within the combustion chamber were causing the pinging and intake valve deposits were causing the rough idle. MIX-I-GO removed these deposits. Among other things, it also 'removes' water in the fuel.

I continue to use this product (1 oz per 10 gallons of fuel / $.60 per oz) and am totally amazed how well my 27 year old engine with 195,000 miles continues to run. Annual emissions testing still yields numbers well below the limits.

I highly recommend MIX-I-GO. It may help us through the Ethanol age.

Bell Performance, Inc.

Paul

PS: IMHO: A lead additive is NOT needed in an engine which is not continually placed under heavy load. Just be sure it doesn't ping in light to moderate acceleration.

Edited by pfloro (see edit history)

Guest 53Nailhead
Star Tron Solution-----95% Naphtha, 0.5% "Proprietary ingredient"....looks like expensive kerosene. There are very few 'miracle-in-a-bottle' products out there and this is not one of them.

Any suggestions or input? I'm interested what members are doing.....:)

Guest pfloro

MIX-I-GO from Bell Performance, Inc. Detailed above...

Maybe not a miracle but will certainly keep Ethanol absorbed water and combustion chamber deposits at bay.

Paul

Edited by pfloro (see edit history)

I run unleaded in an original engine, never been taken down. I don't drive it alot so I figure when its time I will deal with any issues. I have to run unleaded premium as its the high performance 300. Tried the racing gas, ran good but real pricey, also tried additive but when all was said and done I found the car ran basically the same on all.

Guest gunjeep444

The guy I buy my gas from is also a wholesale distributor, he has Aviation Gas, I put a few gallons of it in with a tankful. Some places sell high octane racing fuel also.

Seafoam is absolutely fantastic in small engines. Of course, a lot of guys use it for cleaning up carbs to prepare for storage. I have used it in cars as well to help stabilize gasoline, but like Adam, can't honestly say it has a definitive impact.