1940 Buick ?

Guest Doubleclutch

Guest Doubleclutch

Hi All, I'm new and just bought a 40Buick 5 window coupe. Just have one quick question --- the rear side windows have a chrome slider at the bottom of the glass. My windows appear to be fixed? What does the slider do? Or do I have a non-original modification? Thanks

Chuck

Guest Doubleclutch

No Luck--thats what they are for but mine are non-functional. Who knows, maybe they came that way as there's very little room for the windows to slide with the coupe body. The waist curve of the body would only allow a slide of 3-4 inches. Chuck

Guest Grant Magrath

Does it have rear seats? I'm not sure about 1940, but the business coupes with no seats in the rear didn't have sliding rear windows. If that helps!

Cheers

Grant

Guest Doubleclutch

My car is a 5 widow coupe. I'm guessing as to Buick models but other models had a 3 window coupe for the businessmans special that had a sizable shelf area behind the front seats. The 5 window coupe is larger but still has limited rear area and likely had corner jump seats where a third passenger could sit crossways. Mine has been converted to a full rear seat but its not original. There is very limited legroom.

I'm guessing that my car came originally with sealed windows and may have received the window trim mouldings from another car somewhere in its past that had the sliders and thats how I received the knobs.

I'll be back in contact with a more extensive list of questions after I drive it around awhile.

Thanks for all--Chuck

No. They are all have 5 windows. As Grant's post above if it has jump seat (from new) the side windows should slide all the way back

Look at PreWarBuick - The Largest Vintage Buick gallery on the web

If you list the detail fron the firewall plate or post a photo you will get more answers

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)