Vintage sports car race Springfield Ma.

R Walling

It seems the VSCCA finally had enough of the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix guys, and are starting up a competing event. I've had a very serious history with those guys as well, and my sympathies are with the VSCCA. However the PVGP ( Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix Association ) is a very worthy charity event, and HUGE well beyond it's reputation.

I don't disagree with the VSCCA's motivations, but I think trying to compete with Pittsburgh for much of the same clientele with a start-up event is a mistake. The real disheartening part of this are the autistic kids in Pittsburgh who are going to pay the price.:(

Here's an entry from the Hemmings Blog on the 2 competing events:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2011/02/23/breaking-news-vintage-grand-prix-comes-to-springfield-mass/?refer=news

Edited by Dave@Moon
added link (see edit history)

The Springfield, Massachusetts , USA visitors center, near the Basketball Hall of Fame , has a non-flying, full scale fiberglass replica of the Gee Bee R-1 hanging in the atrium.

The race passes right by it on West Columbus Ave near the paddock

• 5 months later...

I know that this year's event in Springfield was canceled, and the hoped-for projected start-up date for the event is now 2012. Has anyone heard anything about any progress on this issue, and are they still going to try and compete directly with the Pittsburgh event?

========

BTW, since I last posted a link to the initial Hemmings.com blog on this event two comments from insiders that give light to the conflict between the two groups were posted that may be of interest to participants in either event.