Plastic Gauge Cluster overlay

Fox W.

I know, most would not be selling the smoked plastic front layer to the gauge cluster, but rather sell it all as one unit. I am hoping somewhere there is a bad cluster with a good front.

Basically mine had what looked like deep scratches, though may also be stress fractures, not sure.. I tried removing them, and it wasn't working, so I tired a method that was a bad idea.. In any case, I would like to replace it with one that is scratch/crack free. Very picky, not looking to get one that looks as bad/worse than mine did.. Name your price.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Does not seem like I am having any luck. I have since tried to fix it further, and again made it far worse. :) I found that the tint is something you can certainly sand through.

How about this, does anyone have for sale the entire gauge cluster, with a flawless front cover? I would be happy to buy it, and keep the electronics on hand in case I ever need it. Thanks.

Hi Steve, hope you've been well. I took a look, saw a couple things I'd be interested in, though did not see a 88-89 gauge cluster listed. As you know, I don't care much about the electronics in my case as much as just having a line-new face cover. (The main smoked plastic front.) If you have like that, please send me a quote. Thanks.

I have a junked one but the glass panel is all stress cracked. I also have two other units, but there are mars in the glass [no stress cracks though] and are not perfect. Don't know if that is good enough as you stated you wanted perfect...

I suggestion if I may.

Since most of the lens is covered by the snap on aluminum bezel, it may be possible to cut out the visible portion of the smoked lens and replace with an identically sized piece of similarly colored Lexan or acrylic.

Make the cut out (and replacement piece) larger than the inside dimension of the aluminum bezel so there is overlap to conceal the seam. Attach the new piece to the old with a suitable backer strip on all 4 edges and glue (do not use superglue as it will fog/discolor most plastics).

I know all this assumes you are handy with a dremel cutting tool or hot knife.

Actually, I have a 88/89 cluster in storage. A bit rough I think, but I will pull it out and see if my idea is feasible. If so, I may even be able to fabricate the piece of smoked acrylic needed since I think I still have a sheet from another project I did some time back.

Give me a day or two and will see if I can put something together.

KDirk

When you first posted someone sent you a PM so I assumed you got a lens.

I see you are still looking for one.

I am almost positive I have a nice one and would sell it for $ 10 plus shipping but will have to check tomorrow. It is 10PM Monday night right now.

Send me an email at jfinn@cpinternet.com

Include your zip code for shipping purposes.

Jim

Hm, surprising how many of these are in rough shape since it isn't something that really should be touched.. I also didn't know the stress fractures were common.

I have a junked one but the glass panel is all stress cracked. I also have two other units, but there are mars in the glass [no stress cracks though] and are not perfect. Don't know if that is good enough as you stated you wanted perfect...

It is not a bad idea if other options run dry. I though of making a replacement, but dismissed it since the design is not simple or flat.. though replacing just the visible potions wouldn't be so bad..

I suggestion if I may.

Since most of the lens is covered by the snap on aluminum bezel, it may be possible to cut out the visible portion of the smoked lens and replace with an identically sized piece of similarly colored Lexan or acrylic.

Make the cut out (and replacement piece) larger than the inside dimension of the aluminum bezel so there is overlap to conceal the seam. Attach the new piece to the old with a suitable backer strip on all 4 edges and glue (do not use superglue as it will fog/discolor most plastics).

I know all this assumes you are handy with a dremel cutting tool or hot knife.

Actually, I have a 88/89 cluster in storage. A bit rough I think, but I will pull it out and see if my idea is feasible. If so, I may even be able to fabricate the piece of smoked acrylic needed since I think I still have a sheet from another project I did some time back.

Give me a day or two and will see if I can put something together.

KDirk

Hi Jim, that would certainly be a big help and a more than fair price. I am happy to pay more for a truly nice lens, my standards have been known to be high, but it looking like that may not be as easy as I hoped. Let me know what you find. Thank you.

When you first posted someone sent you a PM so I assumed you got a lens.

I see you are still looking for one.

I am almost positive I have a nice one and would sell it for $ 10 plus shipping but will have to check tomorrow. It is 10PM Monday night right now.

Send me an email at jfinn@cpinternet.com

Include your zip code for shipping purposes.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...