F85 Rallye 350

I have a 1970 F85 Rallye 350 4 speed bench seat car. Could someone please help me with production numbers? I know they produced 1,020 F85 Rallyes, but out of that 1,020 how many 4 speed cars were built?

Rallye 350 was an insurance beater musclecar. Built 1970 only on Olds F85/Cutlass platform, RPO W45 (incidentally same RPO as the Hurst/Olds, which is what R350 concept originally was to be). Came with a 310 horse 350 engine and F41 suspension among other things, and were all painted Sebring Yellow including the Olds Super Stock II wheels and bumpers, with specific Rallye 350 decals and striping. Could be outfitted with all regular production Olds A-body options and most, not all, had the sports mirrors and rear wing spoiler. Check w/ Olds Rallye 350 Club for more info on 4-speed production breakouts, you can link to them at <A HREF="http://www.oldsclub.com" TARGET=_blank>www.oldsclub.com</A> or e-mail me privately and I'll furnish you an e-mail contact.

Contact the folks at <A HREF="http://www.oldsmobileheritage.com." TARGET=_blank>www.oldsmobileheritage.com.</A> For $25.00 they will send you a lot of very useful info about your car. They will need a tracing of your firewall plate. I worked for Olds back then and we affectionally called the cars "yellow bananas". Many Gm employees had to drive them as co. cars because they did not sell like hotcakes but are very desirebale today. excuse the typing but my arms in a cast!

The Olds dealer in Greensboro NC ordered a load of R350s after the 1970 dealer introduction meeting- seems the dealer network didn't know what to make of the yellow cars and were reluctant to commit to ordering any. Our esteemed dealer (who shall remain nameless) had had a bit much to drink and stood up in the meeting and announced that if everyone else were afraid to try to sell the yellow cars, his dealership would order and sell 75 of them.<P>The local ad campaign was a takeoff on an X-rated Swedish movie of the time, trying to sell "Curious Yellow" Oldsmobiles in a staid, conservative Southern city. And a bunch of R350 were sold in Greensboro. Toward years' end, there were still a dozen or so unsold, with no prospects. There are still a few Rallye 350s in Greensboro with different paint and chrome bumpers that were put on at the dealer to move them.<P>The ad section in my 1970 high school yearbook shows a Rallye 350 in the showroom of Smith Olds in South Boston VA, with a cheerleader behind the wheel and in the background there is a sign for the W-machines. Caption? "Admiring this sporty new Oldsmobile, ____ wishes she could take it home as her very own".

• 17 years later...
On 1/26/2002 at 2:04 PM, Guest said:

I have a 1970 F85 Rallye 350 4 speed bench seat car. Could someone please help me with production numbers? I know they produced 1,020 F85 Rallyes, but out of that 1,020 how many 4 speed cars were built?

I would like to know how to decipher them as well.I have one with bench seats,no air and no disc brakes.Has power brakes but are drum.No radio,no tach or clock.Supposedly all numbers matching.Would like to know for sure

6 hours ago, Larry Seals said:

I would like to know how to decipher them as well.I have one with bench seats,no air and no disc brakes.Has power brakes but are drum.No radio,no tach or clock.Supposedly all numbers matching.Would like to know for sure

This thread is almost twenty years old...

In any case, production records for Oldsmobile do not exist to that letter of detail. They were destroyed in the 1970s.  Just about any car can be made into a "one-of-one" if the criteria are restricted enough. Just enjoy the car.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, padgett said:

Always thought Olds had the best 350. Thought by '70 they were Culasses, memory is fading though. Weren't most Saturn Yellow ?

Too modern for some, my '70 Judge will be 50 next year.

I like the Pontiac 350 although it's really a 355. The H-O version of 1969 which gets the # 48 heads same as the RA3 400 and the 428 H-O with 2.11 intakes and 1.77 exhaust and makes a conservative 330HP was a real Road Runner killer/eater. And all the automatic's were T-400.

6 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

As a side note, virtually every "factory rep" working for Olds was driving the Rallye 350's as company cars.  The dealers then got them with a nice discount which made selling them a little but easier although it was still tough getting dealers to take them!  

And as you know, Steve, no one wanted them. The body colored bumpers were far too radical for the public in 1970. Many Rallye 350s got chrome bumpers installed just to help move them off the lots.