Doors Weatherstrip for 57 DeSoto Diplomat Deluxe (European Version of Plymouth Savoy)

Guest koss

Dear Forum Mates,

My name is Konstantin, I am from Russia, Moscow.

We are working on `57 DeSoto Diplomat Deluxe 4door sedan European Version of Plymouth Savoy restoration.

The issue we currently faced is the weatherstrip, I was searching for for it in a number of shops and on eBay but all the sets I found were one profile along the all length.

But after we try to attach it, we come to the understanding that weatherstrip should not keep same profile along the door perimeter.

I will appreciate if someone has experience with weatherstrips and can give me comment on weatherstrip profile, mounting advice (maybe with pics), and possible where to buy link.

attached the pics for weatherstrip I found but have doubt on their profile.

post-72990-143138465098_thumb.jpg

Edited by koss (see edit history)

Guest Fireflite60

Hello Konstantin,

Have you tried to place same question also for the Forward look Forum?

FL-Forum

The weatherstrip pictured looks identical to the one we used to my friends `57 Fireflite. I´m confident that this would fit but if you aim to 100% original then it`s better to double check with experts..

-jupe-

Guest martylum

Konstantin-Steele Rubber is the largest vendor of original style door rubbers. They have no listing for 1957 Plymouth rubber. When I need to make up a close to original style rubber I go to Metro Molded Rubber's catalog and buy different cross sections of rubber to match the cross sections of the original rubber. Their catalog shows the cross section of each piece of rubber offered in a full scale illustration in the catalog. Super glue will join these different sections to make a continuous rubber gasket.

Gary Goers makes some reproduction rubbers for parts of door sections on various 50s Chrysler cars.

I'm assuming you have the original rubber gasket to compare with when you are matching up.

Perhaps someone in the Plymouth has made new rubbers for your car. Best to join the club and see what various members offer.

Martin Lum

Hello Jupe,

Thank You for the advice, I posted the question to FL-Forum, and yes the one we have can feet, but we are targeting on 100% original.

Dear Martin,

Thank You for the interesting links, even they are not answering my question , they are for sure will be useful in my project. As for the Gery's web, I register and awaiting for feedback. And I will appreciate if you advice Plymouth club, as there are many in the web, and not all of thee, looks like alive.

Guest martylum

Konstantin-I checked out the Plymouth websites and did not see any good possibilities. Also checked last several issues of my WPC (Chrysler brands )club magazine. I see no ads for 50s door rubber gaskets. I think you will do best by ordering rubber sections from Metro which most closely match your original door gasket as I previously mentioned. If you don't have any original door gasket then you do have a problem. Gary Goers does show some partial door rubber for 57 Plymouth.

Martin Lum

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Martyn,

Can you specify which Garry Goers you are exactly talking? I found two of them:

garygoers.com (with strange web) and Gary Goers - Mopar Restoration.

I got email from Gary Goers [gary@garygoers.com] signed as

Gary Goers

37 Amdahl Lane

Kalispell,MT 59901

and in couple of days I completed money transfer but sine that time just silence form Mr. Gary. Do you know is this Gary really works or just collecting money? ))

Appreciate your help.

Guest martylum

Konstantin: Re: Gary Goers-they are the same. He's a small business so give him 3-4 weeks to respond. I don't think you'll have any problems based on my past experience.

Martin Lum