Need car ID for genealogical data

Guest Korndorb

Guest Korndorb

Please tell me what year and model car is shown in this image. If the identity of the little boy is correct, he was born Feb. 5, 1930. So this picture was taken close to April, 1931. I would appreciate any help - thanks.

post-73879-143138464589_thumb.jpg

Guest Korndorb

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I am very naive about old cars. Will you please suggest where i might learn more about that particular Dodge model - pictures perhaps. Or will I do just as well asking Dr. Google?

Thanks again.

Bob K

Erndog - Buick did not build a car that small.

Korndorb - yes Dr Google will probably tell you all you want to know. The DD Dodge was introduced in January 1930 and continued in production to mid 1931, although I think due to the depression the last of them were not sold until early 1932. This car has the later style hood louvres so would have been built after mid-1930. Total production of the sedans was about 33,000. The engine was a 190 cubic inch version of the Chrysler side valve six. It was not a heavy car - about 2600lb - so even though it had only 60hp it would go all right by the standards of the time. These caras had, what the factory called, a V & V (vision and ventilation) windshield. My 1929 Plymouth has the same setup. There is a small crank handle in the panel above the windshield which winds the glass up a few inches and lets air into the footwell area. It is very effective on a hot day.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Guest Korndorb

Those are VERY interesting facts, Nzcarnerd, and they will be worked into the book I am writing (genealogy). I will have to start attending some of the antique auto shows in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. How likely might I be to see a 1930 Dodge DD?

The DD Dodge is not really a highly desirable collector car so there are probably not very many around. I am at on the other side of the Pacific Ocean so have no idea of the situation in your area. I suggest you try to contact old car clubs in your area and ask the secretary or registrar if they know of an example. The contemporary Chrysler Model CJ and DeSoto Model K are essentially the same car, as is the Plymouth but that has a four cylinder engine. I know of one DD Dodge here in NZ (RHD of course) but I am sure there are others.

Guest Korndorb

Commodore (really?) - Thanks for the lead. I checked the sites out and found some good pictures! There seem to be more two doors than 4 doors. Maybe that's the favorite of today's collectors. Thanks again.

Bob K.