1930 Essex Boat-Tail Speedster

A number of years ago (20 perhaps), I was given the opportunity to view the car collection of dear friend who was a member of the same AACA chapter as I was.<BR>Among the many cars there, one stood out as unique to me that I have wondered about since I first saw it. The car was a early 30's Essex Boat-tail with a rumble seat. Dispite being in need of a major restoration, it impressed me as a interesting/fun car - similar in scale to the 1931 Chevy I was working on at the time. If my memory serves me, I believe it had the "Ruxton?" headlights. These are the teardrop shaped lights with the lense being almost in the shape of a vertical slit rather than round shaped.<P>I would be interested in finding out more information about this model of car - perhaps from some of you that may own one. It is a car you do not see everyday. How well does it drive. Does it compare to the Hudsons. I would like to see pictures of restored examples also.<P>Just wanted to satisify a long standing curiosity! <BR>Thanks wink.gif" border="0

the lights you refer to are Woodlights. They were used on some Ruxtons, DuPonts, Cord L29, Packard, etc. They were claimed to be technically superior, but I have no experience with them and doubt the claim

• 3 weeks later...
Guest De Soto Frank

John,<P>I recall seeing a black&white photo of a "boat-tailed" Essex , lates '20s I think, in a car book once upon a time.<P>I do not know if these were "one-off" customs or a special model offered by the factory.<P>I have read a few articles in "Cars & Parts" about the history of Hudson, and a feature article about an early '30's Essex, which included a test drive.<P>Essex was a lower-priced "companion car" to Hudson, and was a little smaller & less expensive in most aspects than it's larger parent.<P>The Essex started out as a 4 cyl, then moved up to a small six (170 cid ?). To help off-set the small engine, Essex had a "stump-puller" rear-end for "power".(5.something to 1).<BR>They were nick-named "high-winders", and could be heard coming from several blocks because of the "busy engine" under the hood.<BR>They were a light & tractable car and their "off the line" performance was fairly brisk, but they "wound-out" before a comparable Chevy or Plymouth, in terms of top-speed.(the final-drive ratio thing).<BR>Other wise, they were fairly well-made cars and durable, if not "sped-to -death".<P>Around 1933 or '34, the Essex was re-named the Terraplane, and lasted until '38 or '39.<P>I'm paraphrasing the various articles I've read on the subject, so I hope that Hudson-Essex owners will forgive me for any blatant mis-statements and gently correct,where necessary.<P>In general, Essex are not too common, and any special bodies like a speedster would be especially rare.