When is it an antique

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

Does anyone know when Florida says a car is a collectible, antique, etc.? I have seen some 1980s Chevy 1500s that were rusted out work trucks with antique tags. What are the benifits of such tags? Please don't tell me to call the Fl. DMV. or go to their web site. I would prefer root canal.

Richard

Guest Mc_Reatta

Has to be at least 30 years old. (1981 or earlier)

Plate is over $30.00 cheaper per year than a standard plate. ($10.25 vs. 44.00 for a 3500 lb vehicle.)

Benefit of antique tag is that it's cheaper or, in some states, permanent. Some states don't charge personal property tax on registered antique vehicles (Virginia is one such).

Downside is that most states view antique tagged vehicles as parade, show use only, and they are not to be used for every day transportation. I've not seen that enforced, as here too see older trucks being used every day with antique tags.

Guest Doc_Reatta

In AZ, there are Historic Plates:

To qualify, your vehicle must have an original manufacture model date that's at least 25 years old. The Antique Plate application allows you to utilize the original plates from your classic or historical car, assuming they are in good condition, legible, and still painted the original colors. Cost is $25

and...

Classic Car Plates

To qualify, your vehicle must be on the list of classic cars filed with the Motor Vehicle Division by the Classic Car Club of America. Cost $25

If you live in Florida and own a Reatta, it looks like you will need to wait.

I info I found online show several options but it appears the car must be 30 years old.

Florida has (not counting regular and vanity plates) Antique, Ancient, and Authenticated.

One source I found the document was not dated but it said Antique was 30 years old.

It also implied that if the car was older than 1946, you would use the Ancient plates and they are permanent. I think this document is several years old and the 1946 is a floating date that would equal 31 years from the present date.

Authenticated plates are where you are allowed to use the "year of manufacture" plates

(must be Florida tags for the year the car was made)

Looks like you will need to wait another 10 years for a Reatta

In Texas they are changing the law on the "year of manufacturer" tags. Apparantly the state computer cannot handle the same numbers on a tag from different years. So come Sept of this year, we will not be able to register a new "year of manufacture" tag.... if you have one already in place it will be honored, but if you fail to have the car/tag continiously registered you will not be allowed to use it.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

Just checked NC DMV, and it only gets worst.

"Antique Plates

To apply for antique plates, your vehicle must be at least 35 years old. Apply for the plates at your local DMV office. The plates cost $38.

To view antique and other specialized license plates, the DMV offers this website. "

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Search / View Specialized Plates

CATEGORY: SPECIAL INTERESTS

Antique Vehicle

Yearly Fee(s) in addition to regular fees:

Special: $10.00

Plate Requirements:

Prefix/Suffix: No

Issued to Whom: Issued to a vehicle that is more than 35 years old

Personalize:

Personalized: No

Plate Renewal:

Staggered - renewed by sticker; expires end of month; valid 15 days of next month

Minnesota:

Minnesota divides this category into four plates: Pioneer, Classic, Collector, and Street Rod. Each one can be applied for by completing an Application for Special Plates.

Pioneer Plates

Any vehicle manufactured before 1936 and retained as a collector's item can display these plates.

Classic Plates

These plates can be displayed on any vehicle manufactured from 1925 to 1948 that's deemed a classic car by the registrar of motor vehicles. The criteria for this designation includes superior workmanship, design, elite engineering standards, and proof the vehicle is only used as a collector's item.

Collector Plates

Any vehicle that's at least 20 model years old and manufactured after 1935 can display these plates, providing you, the owner, also have at least one other vehicle registered in Minnesota.

Street Rod Plates

You qualify for these plates if your vehicle was manufactured before 1949 or was recreated to resemble a vehicle manufactured before 1949. You must also have at least one other vehicle registered in Minnesota.

In California, it is 25 years and 'of historic interest'. So some Reattas are getting very close to that point. But as with other states, you are then only supposed to drive the car in parades, historical club events and exhibitions.

Interestingly, there is also a 'horseless carriage' class. It includes vehicles manufactured before 1922, and also cars with 16 or more cylinders manufactured before 1965. Same driving restrictions as historical plates.

Guest ReattaFan1

Barney is correct. I asked the clerk at the tag office when I was getting a tag for my Reatta. They said 30 yrs here in Florida. I was glad because I didn't want that ugly blue and white antique plate. Are they forced to give us antique tags if the car is that old? Or do we have the choice?

Edited by ReattaFan1 (see edit history)

Guest Richard D

I would think we have a choice here in Florida, but since it will be 8 to 10 years before our Reattas are eligible who knows what the rules will be then. I was hoping I could qualify for a COLLECTIBLE tag. Oh well.

THANK'S TO ALL WHO HELPED ME OUT!

Richard

Blue and White "Collectible" monstrocity in Florida used to be 20 years old, had one once on my 78 Sunbird about a decade ago. They are no longer issued but those who have them can keep renewing them.

Seems like the last should have been replaced by now but just saw one last week.

"Motor vehicles licensed under this section which have been issued a "Collectible" license plate prior to October 1, 1999, may retain that license plate until the next regularly scheduled replacement. "

The real issue is the availability of collector insurance policies and the cutoff is 20 years. Three of my cars - a 70, 86, and 90 are on my collector policy. The others are on Geico. Key here is that all are garaged.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Just checked NC DMV, and it only gets worst.

"Antique Plates

To apply for antique plates, your vehicle must be at least 35 years old. Apply for the plates at your local DMV office. The plates cost $38.

To view antique and other specialized license plates, the DMV offers this website. "

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Search / View Specialized Plates

CATEGORY: SPECIAL INTERESTS

Antique Vehicle

Yearly Fee(s) in addition to regular fees:

Special: $10.00

Plate Requirements:

Prefix/Suffix: No

Issued to Whom: Issued to a vehicle that is more than 35 years old

Personalize:

Personalized: No

Plate Renewal:

Staggered - renewed by sticker; expires end of month; valid 15 days of next month

I had never considered getting Antique plats for a Reatta... I thought all states were 35 years like NC.. I guess not! :eek:

Strange how many variations there are by state. Here in Missouri, classic (or historic if you prefer) plates are available at 25 years old+. I don't think there is a "classic" plate, all I've seen is one that says "historic vehicle" on it. Pretty sure they stipulate limits on use/mileage, don't know how stiff the enforcement is. On a regular registration past a certain age (10 years?), we no longer have to supply an odometer reading at renewal, so I don't know how they'd know you were over the mileage unless the historic plate does require odometer reporting upon renewal. Then again, I don't know what the renewal period is. For standard plates, it is 2 years.

I've not looked into this, as my 91 doesn't yet qualify and am not particularly interested as I don't want anything that draws unnecessary attention to the car. Unusual plates (among many other things one can do to a car, like window tint, wild rims and tail-lamp blackout jobs) seem to draw more scrutiny from the authorities.

I guess if the registration cost is a lot less than regular plates, and the usage stipulations aren't too imposing, it might be worth it. I could be mistaken, but I think MO does permit year of manufacture plates to be used with a vehicle having historic registration. This would work well on my car as in 1991, Missouri still had white on red plates. Now we have blue on white with some blue background shading. Doesn't look really bad, but I wish we still had the old white on red for standard issue, as it complements the car's color scheme better.

A bit OT, Missouri has a boat load of specialty plate themes (sports teams, universities, conservation, animal protection, child protection, veteran, breast cancer prevention, and the list goes oooooooon.) Of course, these are profit makers for the dept of revenue, as there is an up charge for any of these. Do most other states have this many? I don't know out exact number here, but it is now in the dozens as they are always adding new ones. I imagine this drives cops crazy as the color combinations are different for each, and so it has to be harder to determine in state vs. out of state plates from a distance.

KDirk

Check out the NC DOT plates.. anything you want.. from the Blue-ridge parkway to Jeff Gordon.. they've got a plate for it NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Search / View Specialized Plates

EDIT: 161 vanity plates to choose from. Not including the "Farm Vehicle", "Handicapped" 'Weighted" and other such tags.

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)

Guest ReattaFan1

This is the FL tag. My neighbor has this plateon his car

florida-antique-license-plate_120651218388.jpg

Yuck! Baby blue :P I think the only car this would look good on is a baby blue Duster.

Wi. has a "collector" plate for cars that are 20 years and older. No mileage restrictions.

Two rules;

You must have another car titled in your name

You must buy a temporary plate for the month of Feb. as the collector plate is a 11 month per year plate.

Cost is $85.00 with no renewal fees.

Additional benefit is that while Wi. is a two plate [front/rear] state, you do not need to display the front plate on cars 20 years old and older. I have both on as a precaution to not give the police a reason to pull me over.

Guest steveskyhawk

Dave mentions that Wisconsin is a 2 plate state. Funny thing; California is also a 2 plate state and most people including myself never put the front plate on. I remove the bracket completely. Some people put on a front plate that has the name of their favorite sports team etc. I have never been pulled over for not having a plate and don't know of anybody that has. I think the word BUICK on the back of a car makes it stealth. When a car is purchased new you are issued a sticker for the windshield by the dealer that indicates that DMV fees are paid. Plates will come in the mail at a later date. It is not uncommon for a car to go a year before the owner gets around to putting on ANY plate at all. I guess if it is legal to drive indefinitely without a rear plate then not having a front plate is minor.

Florida only has a rear plate though years ago I was stopped for having a Texas plate on the front and Florida on rear (& proper Florida registration). Was told not to do that. Many movies and TV shows set in the hills of Florida have cars with plates on the front.

BTW that blue plate is almost four years out of date.

ps Florida now has over 100 "specialty" plates plus "year of manufacture". Police must just be looking for the stickers.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Believe FL dropped the 20 year Collector plate when too many people where holding on to their old cars and were qualifying for them.

I'm also pretty sure that wonderful color choice for the Antique plate is not by accident either. Makes one think twice about how it will look vs the $30 savings. Bet there are a higher percentage of those plates on old work trucks and beater vehicles than on cherished collector cars that qualify.

Remember FL is a no income tax state.

Guest Richard D

Florida has pro-life, pro choice Challenger, The Arts and about 95 other "special' plates. I am keeping mine stock, it gives me a headache just by the number of tags plus the less noticable the better if you make a light that just turned red 3 nano seconds prior.

I'll echo Richards assessment on this. These vanity/special cause plates are just another way to draw attention of the type that isn't always wanted. As well, I am surprised that some states are offering plates with political overtones (the pro-life and choice plates cited for example) as the way things are these days, such an overt display of a taking a position on a touchy subject can get your tires slashed or your paint job keyed. Why take the risk, unless you have the type of personality that just enjoys pissing people off?

Besides, what doofus lines the states coffers with extra money just for the "privilege" of making a statement with their license plate? Good God, go get a 50 cent bumper sticker already if you really want to put your views in everybody's face. I just don't get it. The more benign plates like universities and sports teams I understand, though I still think it is a waste of money when you could put a sticker/team penant/stuffed mascot in the rear window for a lot less than the up-charge for a special plate every year or two.

Getting back to the two plate/one plate bit again, Missouri is officially a two plate state. I see many more cars each year with only a rear plate. Seems most new cars are not being supplied with a front plate bracket by dealers here, unless you request it. Since they are probably charging extra+labor to put it on for you, most people pass.

I have omitted front plates on both my cars and have not been hassled yet. By the number of cars lacking front plates, enforcement must be nearly non-existent. Of course, I'm not complaining about that, just find it interesting.

I also like to leave off the front plates so I have a spare. We had a rash of problems here in St. Louis for a while with stolen plates and even the year tag stickers being tin-snipped right off of the corner of the plates. While this never happened to me, I at least had an intact plate with sticker for each car "in reserve" if some idiot decided to steal or deface my plate for the renewal sticker. Plus, both cars (but especially the Reatta) look nicer without the front plates.

KDirk

Texas is also a two tag state, with some exceptions. When I registered my '39 Buick as a Classic, I was issued ONE Classic tag. When I questioned the need for two tags I was told the state (which wants two on everything else) only requires one tag.

Last fall Mrs Eaton was driving the 1991 coupe slightly over the speed limit and was stopped and ticketed for speeding with a warning for no front tag. The '91 came from PA and had never had a front tag and the Reatta front license bracket was not with the car. I hate to drill the holes needed to mount a front bracket (I do have a spare)

Recently on the Buick General discussion several 1950-60 Buick owners solved the front tag problem via various means.... cable ties which look crappy but can easily be removed/replaced if the car is in a show. One owner had come up with a magnetic mount for his front plate (tough to work on the front of the Reatta with all the plastic)

Anyone have some ideas for an alternate/removable front plate mount for the Reatta?

"Front" does not necessarily mean "middle" (check local laws). If I needed a front plate I'd look into replacing the driver's side "fog light" with a mount and the passenger side with something good and a 55w bulb.

My main concern is blocking airflow to the radiator.

MN also has scads of various plates...I'm sure law enforcement must just love it.

Here in Manitoba, there is / was an "antique" plate for vehicles that were at least 30 years old. However, the stipulations are so restrictive few people use them. The local car hobby has been working with the provincial insurer on a scheme which would allow multiple cars to use a single set of plates so long as you keep storage policies in place for all of them...it could be a cost savings, but a pain for households with multiple drivers.

Padgett,

If you were asking me if we get two stickers in Missouri, the answer is yes. Two plates are issued at initial registration, and two stickers each time they are renewed. They want both plates with valid stickers on the car. So far, I have escaped scrutiny with only rear plates on mine. I hope to keep it that way.

Another odd twist here in MO is that some large pickups and utility trucks (1 ton and greater I think) only a front plate is required. The weight class is not the only caveat though. This results in many large trucks having a decorative plate (i.e. John Deere, Harley Davidson, or a vehicle logo plate of some sort) at the rear. I don't understand this at all as a vehicle being pursued is usually from the rear. Thus, the front plate isn't much help to law enforcement in those situations.

The only rationale I can come up with is that they assume a trailer will be in use much of the time, thereby blocking visibility of the rear plate anyway.

KDirk