Do we have any Corvair owners on this forum?

Guest corsa1948

• 4 weeks later...
Guest CorvairJim

Wow. Where to begin? One day in November of 1980, my daily driver '65 Chevy II 100-Series 4-door sedan succombed to terminal "Palsy of the linkages" on the way home from work. I lost the shift linkage (three-on-the-tree, hung up in 2nd gear), clutch linkage, and throttle linkage, in that order. I had had enough of that car so that night I went through the used car ads in the paper. I was primarily looking for something smallish with a manual transmission... and a bowtie - I'm a dedicated Chevy guy. I found an ad where someone was selling a pair of Corvairs: a 1965 and a 1966, both Monza coupes, both 110 h.p., both 4-speed transaxle. Until that point, I hadn't considered a Corvair but, being an avowed individualist, I decided to check them out. I looked both of the cars over and decided that I liked the look and overall condition of the dark green 101K-mile '65 better than the light green 115K-mile '66. One test drive and I was hooked! 20 minutes and $300 later, I was the proud new owner of a Corvair. I actually came out ahead in the deal, because I managed to sell the Chevy II to an acquaintance for $350 to be turned into a drag car.

That '65 Monza coupe became the first in a series of Corvairs that I've had over the past three decades. My last one was a 1966 Monza coupe with a much-modded 4-carb (140 h.p.-rated from the factory) engine, guaranteed by the Corvair-specialty shop that built it for the previouis owner to make "at least 220 h.p. at the wheels or we'll rebuild it again until it does" and a 4-speed. The car had urethane bushings all around as well as stiffer, slightly shorter springs, and gas shocks, so it handled like a go-cart. I found the car on eBay in suburban Denver and had a fellow CORSA member in that area check it out for me. He told me, "If you don't buy this car, I will!" My wife and I flew to Denver from Philly International and drove it home, a relaxing 4-day drive with 3:89 gears and low restriction mufflers! LOTS of premium gas (we only got about 22 mpg on the trip) was burned over the course of those 1,750 miles!

018.jpg

The car was my daily driver for about three years until I decided that I just didn't want to subject the clean, Colorado sheetmetal to yet another winter of Pennsylvania road salt. I bought a brand-new 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS to take over the day-to-day duties and semi-retired the 'Vair to pleasure driving. And driving it was a pleasure every time I got behind the wheel. Not that I'd EVER do anything as illegal and unsafe as street racing, but if I had, that car and I would have been 13-0 against 5.0 Mustangs. In fact, the car's vanity plate read "CORVA1R" to let those folks know just what it was that had just blown their doors off ("CORVAIR" was already taken). I once had a BMW Z-3 come up behind me hard and fast on a twisty Pocono mountain back road, so I decided to have a little fun with him. Left him in the dust.

Unfortunately I'm currently "Vairless" due to this miserable economy we're in. We don't have a garage (heck, we don't even have a driveway - it's on-street parking for us!) so collector's insurance was out of the question. We just couldn't justify the expense of a hobby car when the mortgage was 2 months behind. I sold the car to a friend who had a standing offer on it, obtaining right of first refusal should he ever decide to sell it.

Here's the list of the Corvairs I've owned over the years, to the best of my recollection:

1965 Monza Sport Coupe, dark green, 110/4-speed

1966 Monza Sport Coupe, maroon, 110/automatic

1966 500 Sport Sedan, medium blue, 110/4-speed

1965 Corsa convertible, dark green, 140/4-speed

1961 Greenbrier Sport Wagon (window van), white, 110/4-speed

1965 Monza Sport Sedan, beige, 95/4-speed/AC

1961 Lakewood 700 wagon, light blue, 94/automatic

1963 Monza sedan, white over gold, 94/automatic

1964 Monza sedan, gold, 110/automatic

1967 500 Sport Sedan, 110/automatic

1965 Monza Sport Sedan, white over yellow, 140/automatic

1960 700 sedan, white over turquoise, 84/automatic

1966 Monza Sport Coupe, Lemonwood Yellow, 140/4-speed

One of these days, once the economy gets better, I'll have another Corvair... or two... or more. Of course there are plenty of other old cars I'm interested in, but the Corvair is my first automotive love.

• 4 years later...

If my memory is correct, I saw a Corvair Coupe with an Oldsmobile Toronado front drive V-8 stuffed in the back. This was at a CORSA event in Cambria, CA several years ago. Please tell me my memory hasn't left on the last bus!

I do have a stock 1964 Corvair Spyder Coupe (Turbocharged Monza Coupe) that I need to sell quickly. It's Black with Red bucket seats and a 4-speed. First $5000 drives it home. Clear Virginia title and antique plates.

006.JPG

1carriageHouse.jpg

009.JPG

1corvair-1964-monza-spyder-3 (1).jpeg

1corvair-1964-monza-spyder-10 (1).jpeg

1corvairspyder-1.jpg

1corvair-1964-monza-spyder.JPG

1corvair-1964-monza-spyder-6.jpeg

• Like 1

Ah, that is a Corvair! The first one. Early early early model.

Here is an article about these cars:

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/news/hobby-news/legendary-1954-chevrolet-corvair-dream-car-recreated

• Like 1

Interesting, Victoria. You have a FORD part on that car.  :blink:  The Rotunda windshield washer bag has been adapted from some Ford, even down to the two hooks to hold it in place! It is very rare to see a Spyder with a single speed wiper, hence why someone added the windshield washer after it was built.

They are 64 seats, but they are the special convertible bucket seats, not Monza 2 door or 4 door sedan seats. I bet no one one here knows why there is a difference.

Real wire wheels to boot.;)

Looks like a very solid car to resurrect.!:D I need a thumbs up icon here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Interesting, Victoria. You have a FORD part on that car.  :blink:  The Rotunda windshield washer bag has been adapted from some Ford, even down to the two hooks to hold it in place! It is very rare to see a Spyder with a single speed wiper, hence why someone added the windshield washer after it was built.

They are 64 seats, but they are the special convertible bucket seats, not Monza 2 door or 4 door sedan seats. I bet no one one here knows why there is a difference.

Real wire wheels to boot.;)

Looks like a very solid car to resurrect.!:D I need a thumbs up icon here.

Frank my father was a big Ford guy. Looks like the same wiper bag as the 57 Skyliner. He has lots of spare Ford parts. Do you want a few flathead V8 engines? I’ve got 4 to spare. Lol

Can you tell me more about the single speed wiper and is there a way to determine if it came from the factory that way? 

I have have an extra set (4) in boxes of the KH wire wheels. They are like new. Don’t think they have ever been installed. Only two spinners though. Also some hubcaps. Still going through Corvairs parts. Have an extra engine also that looks modified. I assume from the parts car also. 

Please tell me more about the seats. He did have a 64 Spyder parts car so I’m thinking that’s where the seats came from. 

I appreciate the the info on this car. It is my next project to research and get running. 

Here are are pics of his 61 Rampy and 64 Greenbrier Deluxe that I sold last year. 

CCB6E527-B6CB-42F3-B297-FB1DF18F6AD7.jpeg

DBA0058A-B0E9-4C2F-A9A7-AC3CF6DEB029.jpeg

C5B72D28-EDB0-4D3A-B47D-E0A7D22998AB.jpeg

4015470A-5C55-4B1D-9CE3-71F80B0550DB.jpeg

7BD56A02-3EB3-448F-A172-795289511087.jpeg

BA5AE347-4F03-490F-8A01-9E8BB2CC64DE.jpeg

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 12:39 AM, Frank DuVal said:

Ah, that is a Corvair! The first one. Early early early model.

Here is an article about these cars:

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/news/hobby-news/legendary-1954-chevrolet-corvair-dream-car-recreated

Very interesting and thanks Frank ....... have not seen one until this thread.

This was my Dad's that he did body and paint way back.

5a15fc4299088_1966Corvair-March212015.thumb.jpg.608bb7bc9d42e0bff9412f8699f8cb29.jpg

Then he asked my son to help him fix the amature paint job he did and paint it fresh.

IMAG0677.thumb.jpg.2d0258fb58d1691da1305984da205d69.jpg

It still is an amature job but Dad was proud as punch of the end results.

5a15fd3d808bd_Dadwith1966Corvair-March212015.thumb.jpg.758befb8656ca1ff0100cb3d31abb439.jpg

We lost him last March of this year and he left it too my sister so it is still in the family.

Until she brings it down too her home I'm caretaker and keeping the battery up as needed. 

4 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Thanks. A friend brought it to Corvairs Underground and he said it was in the top 1% of any he’d ever seen. It wasn’t perfect but looked nice. 

It certainly is the nicest that I've seen ....... there were some at Maggie Valley NC this year and more in Helen, GA this past April. Your dad's goes beyond what I've seen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dei said:

This was my Dad's that he did body and paint way back.

5a15fc4299088_1966Corvair-March212015.thumb.jpg.608bb7bc9d42e0bff9412f8699f8cb29.jpg

Then he asked my son to help him fix the amature paint job he did and paint it fresh.

IMAG0677.thumb.jpg.2d0258fb58d1691da1305984da205d69.jpg

It still is an amature job but Dad was proud as punch of the end results.

5a15fd3d808bd_Dadwith1966Corvair-March212015.thumb.jpg.758befb8656ca1ff0100cb3d31abb439.jpg

We lost him last March of this year and he left it too my sister so it is still in the family.

Until she brings it down too her home I'm caretaker and keeping the battery up as needed. 

Sorry for your loss but glad this nice convert is staying in the family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, capngrog said:

Rogerrabbit;

Is that your car shown in your post #86?  Whether your car or not, can you tell us anything about it?

Cheers,

Grog

The Sea Foam green car is mine and I also have a dark red one.  The sea foam green car has a blue flame 6 with an 066 head and 53 block.  It has a lot of interesting characteristics including the trunk opening in reverse.  The red car is from car 198 of 54 and is a reproduction of the 1st Corvair.