63' GMC question

Guest giggem2008

Guest giggem2008

My husband and I just aquired a 1963 GMC pickup(305 v6). Well it needed a new throwout bearing, so we took the tranny out and got the clutch out...Come to find out it has an 11" clutch and we can't find that anywhere. Everyone is saying it should be 10.4",10.5", or 12". We have found 2 11" online for upwards of $400. My question, is this normal? can we fit a 10.5" on it? are we in for a long restore? TIA

Guest giggem2008
Does the clutch that you took out of the truck have GM stamped on it somewhere or is it maybe an aftermarket disk? If it is aftermarket I would take it to a good parts store like NAPA and compare the two and look at what it was called for.

It's aftermarket I believe, my grandpa changed it out 30 some odd years ago. I'm not that mechanically inclined but I was just wondering if it was supposed to have the 10.4,10.5, or 12 inch in it to begin with, if so would we be able to just get maybe the 10.5 as a replacement?

If the 10.5 has the correct spline, thickness,spring, etc. then I would not have any problems with putting it in instead of the 11 inch. When I was replacing clutches in the 60's I seem to rmember diameter variations. Just make sure the area/parts inside of the clutch material/ spline/spring etc area is the same.

Also what is the size of the pressure plate and flywheel? Just make sure the clutch is smaller than the available area on those two parts. Do not want part of the clutch hanging out over the edges.