What did you do to your classic today?

Guest Guest

Hi all,

I spent the day cleaning up the old truck. Just getting that done took the better part of the day.

Anyone else want to share what they did with their classic today? :D

Guest bofusmosby

I just started up the old Pontiac to warm her up. Nothing else. I was too buisy rebuilding a shed. Didn't get much done with that either.:D

I did absolutely nothing with any of my Classics. 3 more inches of that white powdery stuff here last night. A big pile of snow is in front of the 1915 Buick's garage. Still more winter here. Dandy Dave!

The crocuses are in full bloom, daffodils and opening and the tulips are coming up. My peach and apple trees are starting to bud. Yesterday after being out for a 90 mile drive I changed the oil in my Pontiac for the 133rd time (I change it every 3000 miles). Checked the antifreeze, transmission and differential and did not have to add anything. Next year I will have to change all three. I do that on even years so it is easier to remember. Next year will be the 26th time.

Guest quadfins

Not today, but yesterday I drove the '66 Mustang fastback to Starbucks, where I sipped a coffee and read Hardy Boys to my daughter. We then drove it to the animal shelter, where we spent the next several hours cleaning cages and feeding the animals.

After driving the Mustang home, I pulled the '61 Cadillac out of the garage and took some photos for a restoration article that I am writing.

I would have driven the Cadillac today, but my daughter wanted to go to Sonic for lunch, and we have a "No Eating in the Classic Cars" rule.

Rain and nastiness are in the fore4cast, so the Cad will have to wait a few more days for her turn on the road.

Jim

ANOTHER PERFECT WEEKEND !!!

Saturday - Drove the 1937 Roadmaster convertible Phaeton in a neighborhood Mardi Gras Parade, transporting the Past-King and Queen -- chamber of commerce weather - temp was 75 - sky was sunny

Sunday, same weather - but this time took the 1930 Packard Phaeton - took Sunday School Class kids into New Orleans to meet with 2 other congregations for Story Telleing -- back to suburbs -- with another dad, his son and my grandson - out to the boatlaunch at Lake Pontchartrain to the refreshment stand - kids scarffed hotdogs, nachos, pickles, icecream, Barq's Rootbeer --

Later picked up wife - boogie with her and grandson to local seafood spot for fresh oysters on the halfshell, grilled shrimp, froglegs, hushpuppies -- drove grandson home - put the Packard to bed -- I'm next ....

This week our highs will be in the mid-70s, and lows in the low 60s -- Mostly Sunny, like our disposition.

It sure is great to be able to drive our toys all year-round.

Y'all need to share some of our fine weather, food, and hospitality....

post-54863-143138458699_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138458701_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Ya got us beat, Marty, for sure....Sunday was a pretty good car day for me. Spent part of it watching my Cord go down the road on a roll back, going to a restoration shop to finish wiring harness installation. I started it, but found out I don't bend like I used to, and getting under the dash was a challenge, so will spend a few bucks to get it installed.

Then, a call from a fellow Pierce enthusiast, trying to figure out how his rear seat should be configured, as in the early 30's the Pierce rear seat backrest were hinged at bottom, so you could undo three knobs at the top, tilt forward, and stow the side curtains behind the seat. Talked him through it, he's missing all these parts, took some pictures, so he's good to go to replicate the stuff.

Then, my engine-rebuilding buddy Mitch came over with his father and a truck load of 1929 Buick coupe interior, we discussed fabrics and methodology of upholstery. He and his father are learning to do the upholstery themselves, I'm giving tips, they've already installed the vinyl top on the coupe and it looks darn good......

So, a good old car day, even if I didn't drive a Buick or a Packard!!!

I sent the '60 Electra rear end home with my nephew. New U-joints, powder coating the rear drums and backing plates. Sand blasting the torque tube and arms, fresh black paint to all. Sand blasting the wheels, epoxy primer and black finish, new tires all around.

Getting ready for Danvers, Ma. in July.

003.JPG

I continued my new clutch, rebuild transmission and differential, replace bellhousing/crankshaft seal, find out the starter's about ready to go out, replace all engine/transmission mounts ordeal on my Corvair. Still freezing out, but the salamander takes the chill off...

Fall2010004-1.jpg

Guest Paul Christ
I swore at it, kicked it in the tire, asked it why it hated me, and started drinking heavily.................Bob

Ha ha ha! Except for the swearing, kicking, and hating, I did the same thing!

Damn weather.

Wow, great responses!

Today I managed to finish up the exhaust piping, but still haven't found the exhaust leak at the manifold.

Tomorrow is replace the brake line that gave out today. I can't even complain about the brake line, I've been trying to figure out where the brake leak was for a long time now. The leak was so slight, there wasn't even a drip. I had no idea where the fluid was going. I was really surprised to see that it was right there in the middle of the right rear line.

Guest Jim_Edwards
I swore at it, kicked it in the tire, asked it why it hated me, and started drinking heavily.................Bob

Did you sneak down to Texas and steal one of my cars? I have a couple that I'm sure hate me and I've never done anything but befriend them. Makes me wonder at times if they are haunted........:D

Jim

Last night I put wheels back onto the right side of the '70 Bug, and lowered it off the jackstands, in preparation for driving it outside and turning it around, so that I can start work on wheelwell cleaning + pan & reinforcement rail anti-rust coating (masterseries of course - http://www.masterseriesct.com/) & paint overcoating, like I have just finished on the passenger's side (yes, a little bit of masterseries silver still showing in that front wheelwell--I've since overcoated it with proper L620 Savannah Beige):

GarageScn13Feb1170VWbR.JPG

Also fooled around with some small side projects on the tail lights and exhaust. Hope to make some more incremental progress tonite...

Edited by stock_steve
couple additional photo description details (see edit history)

Saturday was a nice day, so we drove the 27 and 33 Franklins abit just to change the air in the cooling system!

You mean those Franklins still do not have the original air in the cooling system. :eek:...:rolleyes:.....:D. Dandy Dave!

I leave my 72 Olds Cutlass "S" in the garage all winter! I go out, uncover it and start it up at least once a month. I let it run for about 1/2 hour We have had snow on the ground for the past month and a half, with more to come! It's just as well that I keep it there! Since it snowed, we've been using the wife's car to get around, leaving my 89 Caprice Classic in the garage beside the Cutlass. It never fails though! I had Jury Duty the same day she had a doctor's appointment, so I had to take the Caprice out and guess what! I was driving down the expressway and the truck in front of me throws up a stone and chips the paint on the rear door in two spots! I never even park it remotely close to other cars, fearing I might get a door ding, and now this! At least it wasn't dented! With my luck, if I took the Cutlass out, I'd be creamed by a snowplow before I got out of the driveway!

Guest Skyking

Last night I finished up the top on my 54 convertible. Painted the header, all the bows, remounted the fabric, and put on all new weather-seals. Now when I do get around to restoring the car, the top will be done.

Today was a good day, moved the 74 dart under cover, got the CM Hall Headlights working after modifying a set of wiring connectors from a different style of CM Hall lights for the 27 Marmon Model L Collapsible coupe, repaired the mascot and drove the 27 Marmon Model l Hardtop Coupe, finished reinforcing the cedar box that will serve as carrying case for our 1921 Marmon Model 34 1/4 scale factory miniature and finished rebuilding three, yes three Stewart Warner vacuum fuel tanks. Plus sweeping, destroying the contents of several of pottstown PAs finest Black and Tan and lined up work for Saturday. A great day in the shop!!

Well today was take the diff apart day. What was found inside the diff wasn't good. Let me put it this way, anyone have a good pumpkin for a `65 1 ton laying around?

Guest Gary Hearn

I took a box off the top of my Studebaker Hawk and used it to mail a chain saw to Kansas. The car needs a new water pump and has not moved in 2 years...

Friends are visiting from the Rochester, NY area -- after specing out the route for our upcoming "Garage Tour" progressive meal (a 150 mile gastronomic experience of Cajun Country)---

we took the 1930 Packard out west on US 90 for a superb Italian dinner at a restaurant that is only 16 years younger than the Packard.

Temps were in the high 70s under clear skies -- what more can you ask for?

post-54863-143138464808_thumb.jpg