Reproduction manuals - are they ok?

bepnewt

I have the service bulletins on order and now need to pick up a manual. I've seen the various reproduction manuals on eBay and also saw a CD that says it has PDFs of chassis and body manuals. Right now I'm interested in information on things like the power windows, window seals, electrical stuff, heater, etc.

Has anyone used these CDs before and can recommend or not recommend them from an information standpoint? Below is a link to an auction to the CD and then the text from the auction since people reading this in the future won't be able to see the auction.

1964 Buick CD-ROM Shop Manual Riviera, Wildcat, LeSabre - eBay (item 400167394691 end time Feb-22-11 16:51:27 PST)

Thanks,

-BEPNewt

The CD is a page for page reproduction of the bound manuals that Buick dealer mechanics would have used to service your vehicle. It offers the complete 841 page “1964 Buick 4400-4600-4700-4800 Chassis Service Manual,” the 643 page “1964 Buick 4000-4100-4300 Chassis Service Manual,” and the 405 page “1964 Buick Body Service Manual—All Series.” You will find service instructions for lubrication & bearing service, engine, fuel & exhaust systems, automatic transmission, clutch, s-m transmission, rear axle, propeller shaft, chassis suspension, steering gear & linkage, brakes, electrical systems, radio, heater, A/C, and frame. In the body portion, you will find out how to work on the convertible top, door locks, door handles, window cranks, power windows, trunk lid and lock, tail gate, manual seats, and power seats. Learn how to remove and install glass, vents, headlining, vinyl roofs, convertible top, weather-stripping, interior trim, door panels, arm rests, and exterior moldings. There are detailed troubleshooting guides, wiring diagrams, illustrations, and schematics to make repairs easier. You will also find special tool lists and comprehensive specifications for nearly every part on your Buick. The best part is you can print out the pages you need, dirty them in the shop, and then throw them away. Great if you have a hard copy that you want to keep clean. This CD covers all 1964 Buicks, including Special, Special Deluxe, Sport Wagon, Skylark, LeSabre, Wildcat, Electra 225, and Riviera. Buy now to own the best manuals on CD for your Buick. We also carry books on paper - see our other items.

Faxon is a major player in the auto literature market, and has been for many years. They are showing over 116,000 eBay sales with a very, very high satisfaction rate.

The CD has a GM Restoration logo on it.

I think that you should have high confidence that it is the real thing, and that you will be happy with it.

I have one of Faxon's CD for my 71, it has every page from the complete service manual and also the complete Fisher Body manual. You are getting two complete manuals for a very cheap price. I love using them.

If you are so concerned about them having the information you are looking for, why don't you either call them or email them?

Bob Bonto# 277 ROA

Technical Advisor 71-73:)

Thanks, guys; I ordered one.

My inquiry was partially to see if it had the right information while also giving anyone an opportunity to chime in with any negatives they my have from first-hand use of these. It sounds like you ( Bob ) are quite happy with them and that's good enough for me!

-BEPNewt

I have one of the cd's for my 65. It seems to have everything in it, I haven't seen a hard copy personally. Anything I need has been in there.

One good thing is if you know what your going to work on you can print those pages and use them and if you get them greasy or damaged just print another one. Could get costly if you get carried away.

But, also if your working on something and need to look it up ,unless you have your laptop right there ready to go,you have to go load the cd and search for it.

I'll probably get a hard copy in the future but, to study and learn the goings on of these cars it's great.

Personal preferance really.

My 2 cents worth.

Joey #12735

Another really great feature of having digital images of these manuals (I hand-scanned those manuals for my 1983 - it took many hours) is that you can use the viewing program to greatly magnify the images. That is terrific for small parts shown on crowded pages. Details that were not evident on the printed pages become quite clear when digitally magnified.