1936 Buick Special Steering Lock

Buick36-49

Hello All,

Quick question…how do you remove the steering wheel lock from the column in 1936 Buick Series 40. The wheel is not locked. (Lost the keys when bought). The little nut that is supposed to have the twist off head is still there!! No drilling. The lock has a little hole that looks like you can put a paper clip in there.

OR BETTER YET. Can I take out the glove box lock and have a lock smith make me a key somehow…It would be easier and cheaper, plus I would have one key to do the doors, truck, ign and glove box. (just like my 49 buick)

Thanks

Robert

Edited by Buick36-49 (see edit history)

Hi Robert, you really do need a key for this and a locksmith shoud be able to do that fairly quickly using the glove box lock. When you have the key, then you use a paper clip in the hole and turn the whole lock cylinder out. Now I don't remember what comes next but I think it will be obvious once the cylinder is out. Seems like I recall a screw type plug on the outside of the casting that gives you access to remove a sliding bar that can now be pulled out as a result of removing the cylinder. As far as I know, all locks were keyed alike on the '36.

Oh, that sounds great than. Thanks for your reply Joel! I was able to get the glove box lock out last night, very simple. I am just hoping that the ignition lock is the same. When I bought the car, the guy said the keys were lost many many years ago... so when I looked up on how to change the lock, it shows that the special has a twist of head bolt that holds the lock and part of the steering colum to the bottom of the dash. So I looked, and noticed that the twist off head bolt STILL has the bolt head. Of course I did not touch this...so I am wondering if this was something that Buick factory back in the day did not complete till the car was dilivered to the dealer/owner?

Very weird. Because if somebody was to drill this out to change, i don't think they'd use a twist off head again similar to the factory.

Robert:confused: