1936 Buick Special Front Control Arm Pins

Buick36-49

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this whole form...Does anyone know or know anyone who is familiar with the 1936 Buick Special suspension. I need to remove and install the pivot pins in the lower control arms.

How do you remove them and then install new one?:confused:

THANKS

Robert<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Guest mclbuick2002

Robert

To remove pins you have to first remove front coil springs.The procedure in shop manual can be used except it is easier to first jack up front end and support on jack stands rather than blocking axle /brake drum assembly and then trying to jack frame up to take load off springs.Let me know if you don't have a manual and I will explain better.

Stan

Hello Stan,

Thanks for your reply! I don’t have the shop manual, but am familiar with the fact that you have to take pressure off of the springs. I was able to remove the “shock” (upper) pin easily by removing the locking bolt.

For the (lower) pin I removed the small locking pin that is pressed into the knuckle with a lot of heat. Now, I am trying to either pull out or push out the lower control arm pin. Do I still have to remove the springs? I have a small shop book that does not say much, but mentions an arbor press? Not sure where to go with this one.

Robert

Guest mclbuick2002

Robert

You have to take the springs out to take pressure off the lower control arms.

Jack front frame up and support on jack stands

1/disconnect tie rod ball stud

2/loosen either caster adjuster cap screw 1/2 turn. leave other locked tight to preserve caster adjustment

3/remove upper and lower caster adjuster nuts

4/remove brake assembly complete

5/jack under lower control arm until spring pressure off upper control arm

6/ push out upper control arm pin [you all ready have]

7/ SLOWLY release jack until coil spring falls out

8/ as you have tapered pin out the lower control arm pin should slide out

Stan

Hello Stan!

Thanks for detailing this out for me. I guess I will have to give it a shot when the 8 degree weather gets warmer up here!

It is really that easy? I guess once you complete the steps you provided, the bottom pin can be removed freely?

The pins on the passenger side are so warn, the guy would not pass it for inspection. As I drove the car too, the front wheels would start to wobble going about 45mph on a straight highway. Very dangerous, you almost have come to a stop…to make the wheels stop wobbling. I also noticed a bent rim, so that must have been triggering the wobble. Plus I have to fix the stabalizer bar again, links keep breaking. Prob from the wobble. The leaver shocks have nothing left either. :(

Robert

Edited by Buick36-49 (see edit history)

Guest mclbuick2002

Robert

It sounds as if you have more of a problem than warn pins.Get a shop manual and check front end before you have an accident.Some checks are

1/Are wheel bearings tight?

2/Replace bent rim,balance tires and check air pressure

3/check steering wheel backlash-should be less than 1 inch.

4/check play in tie rod ends, pitman arm etc.

5/are lever shock pins loose or shocks out of oil? They are the upper control arm. Repair

6/check toe-in

7/ Use radial tires as ride is much better and car won't wander with grooves in road-won't solve worn or damaged front end.

Stan

Hello Stan,

I tried again today to get the pivot pin as per your detail directions. I got the spring out and still can not get the pin out. I put a lot of heat on it and tried pulling it out with vice grips. It won’t budge. The pin is loose on the otter part where the bushings are worn, but It’s really tight in the knuckle. Locking pin is removed. Can’t figure this out. Thanks again!

Robert

P.S. Try to open the attachment here.

post-73380-143138457208_thumb.jpg

Guest mclbuick2002

Robert

Send me a personal message with your email address.

I sliced a spare lower control arm apart. The knuckle support pins are held in to the steering knuckle by a taper pin into a groove in the support pins. The pins are pressed into the lower control arms.Is the pin binding on the knuckle support or the bushings in the lower control arm?

Soak with rust check for a couple of days and try pressing out.

Stan

Yes, I am here...I gave up for the day.

The little tapper pin is out. Is that the same as the locking pin?

So I removed the grease fitting that was attached and found a bolt with the same thread pattern and screwed that into the pin, this way I have a way to get vice grips on it. So I put the flame on the bottom of the knuckle and tried pulling out the pin, there is no pressure on it from the spring or anything else. The pin is so tight in the knuckle that you can not even rotate it. But where the control arms are it is so warn and loose that there is a lot of play.

Should I rig something up with kerosene and soak the knuckle in there for a few days?

I also, sent this message to you in your email. Mine is Bobby791980@yahoo.com