How do these rims / wheels work?

bepnewt

I've been on the hunt for wire rims for about a month now for my '64. I keep seeing rims like the ones in the pic below that have a universal adapter, the wheel, a cap / knockoff, and either a hammer or a wrench for installation.

I assume the adapter bolts onto the hub and wheel goes on the adapter (threaded?). How do the wheels stay on the adapter? What is the hammer for?

Followup question - are these kinds of wheels something I should stay away from for some reason?

-BEPNewt

post-72864-143138451235_thumb.jpg

Brian,

I had a '57 Austin Healey some time ago that came from the factory with true "knock off" wire wheels. All I can tell you from my experience from owning that car is that if you ever have a flat tire the splines on the hub and in the wheel seem to "weld" themselves together as you get the crippled car off the road. I had two flats over a period of 4 years and they were a real head ache to change, especially along the side of the highway. You'll need a much bigger hammer than the one pictured to get them off and back on again. :D

Ed

On the european cars with spoked wheels that had steel splined hubs and wheels, it was absolutely necessary to coat the splines with lubriplate, or an anti-sieze compound, if you ever intended to remove them, since they would weld themselves together from rust and corrosion as Ed stated.

They looked beautiful with the wire spokes and knock of centre caps, but they could be a P.I.T.A., if not maintained properly !! :)