I need new Heater Hoses

bepnewt

I need heater hoses for my "new" '64. I read quite a few posts on the forums here about the subject so far and want to make sure I do the right thing.

The car currently doesn't have any, so I don't have an example to go by. It has 2 small pieces on the block that are folded and clamped.

I'm not set on getting NOS, I just want ones that work and work well. Based on what I read, I can get whatever lengths I want from my local auto store. I see where I believe the 2 hoses hook up to the block and I see where they hook up at the firewall.

Since the car doesn't currently have hoses, I need to know the following things:

1) I plan on buying 3/4" hose and using a stainless coil like Rhett did in this post: http://forums.aaca.org/f177/65-riv-heater-hose-255541.html . Is there a better way?

2) I'm getting a shop manual, but it won't be here before I do the hose work. If someone could shoot me a photocopy of the manual page with the example hose routing, I'd appreciate it.* My email address is my board name AT gmail.com

3) If for some reason the heater core has a problem, how will I know? Where will I see a leak, etc? Is there an easy way to inspect it beforehand?

4) Do I want 3/4" or 5/8" hose? The engine is a 401 nailhead. I assume the heater core is "original" but don't know for sure.

Thanks!

-BEPNewt

* If asking for this is a no-no, let me know and I'll remove it.

I'll bet you a dollar to a dime that the reason there are no heater hoses on the car now is that the heater core was leaking and bypassing it was easier than replacing it. :)

Not trying to deflate you, just looking at reason.

I also think that the two hoses are different diameters. One is 5/8" and the other is 3/4". It been a long time since I replaced any so my memory isn't clear on this. I just remember on one car that I restored that hoses were different diameters; it might not have been a Riviera.

Find Dave Gee's '65 GS restoration on face book and look at the hoses he's using. They have a built in wire that runs the length of the hose that helps the hose hold shape. Since there are not any molded hoses available for this application, these are the next best thing for staying where you want them.

Ed

I'll bet you a dollar to a dime that the reason there are no heater hoses on the car now is that the heater core was leaking and bypassing it was easier than replacing it. :)

Not trying to deflate you, just looking at reason.

That's the first thing that crossed my mind, but then I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt since the engine was just rebuilt. There's a chance he never got around to hooking it back up. I left him a voice mail asking him what the deal is.

I also think that the two hoses are different diameters. One is 5/8" and the other is 3/4". Find Dave Gee's '65 GS restoration on face book and look at the hoses he's using. They have a built in wire...

Will do, thanks Ed.

-BEPNewt

He's right on the hose diameters, I just bought 4ft rolls of it from the local Napa and routed it along the lines of the originals though the hold down clips on the intake and valve covers. The heat in the water will put a set to the hose shape after a short while and they'll look like they are supposed to be that way.

Do the heater core right, don't cut the firewall like the previous owner of mine did. It's a lot of work but not too bad. If you do take the console apart, I need pictures as I lost mine of where all the various bracings go under the console.

P.S. What's the interior colour combo like on yours? I have a white over white '64.

Do the heater core right, don't cut the firewall like the previous owner of mine did. It's a lot of work but not too bad. If you do take the console apart, I need pictures as I lost mine of where all the various bracings go under the console.

Thanks for the hose verification and length.

If it has to be done, there's a good chance I won't do it but I'll get pics whether I do it or someone else does.

P.S. What's the interior colour combo like on yours? I have a white over white '64.

CC / 608, so Arctic White with Black Vinyl was the original. Currently, it's White with Black Vinyl, but the car has been repainted about 10 years ago and the interior was also redone. He had a little fun with the upholstery, but it's still black. I'll get pics tomorrow of the interior and under the hood.

-BEPNewt

CTX is right. Do it properly. It's not really that hard, just time consuming. There are step by step instructions for both methods in the Tech Tips section of the ROA's website as well as a Dealer Service Bulletin covering the R&R..

I would however stock up on Neosporin and Band-Aids before you start. Or perhaps you can do what a friend of mine did. Find someone (me) who was willing to do it as a learning experience. Ha!

Don't even think about wearing the latex type gloves to keep your hands clean; you'll just shred them.

Ed