Sign in to follow this  
deerhuntingal

37-1948 Pontiac Water Pump needed

Thanks! The Ebay one he wants to sell it to me for $100 total but I'm not so sure as

the warranty thing may be an issue even though Paypal backs you up on purchases.

Kanter has a core fee of $59 and our core is no good. Cracked and all!

What does everyone think on purchasing an old, reconditioned pump? Are the parts still viable after say 20 years?

Edited by deerhuntingal (see edit history)

Thats a good question. I know that before, I have seen water-pump rebuild kits for sale on Ebay as well. I believe that these were NORS kits, and of course, with them being old, there could always be some problems. I like the life-time warranty that Kanter gives, but I see your problem with having a bad core. As far as the one on Ebay, did you ask him (or her) if it was recently rebuilt, or done so many years ago? Also, the guy that is selling it on Ebay offer any kind of warranty wit it?

I'm asking him to agree to give all the $ back if it is not good. We will see if he agrees. He is a consignor-selling parts for other people.

The box pictured is old/labels faded so I can only assume it is a very old rebuild.

Yea, I know what you mean. Its bad to pay for parts that you can't even use. I've got a few parts that I know I'll never use. Maybe you could make a post on this site, asking if anyone has an old (bad) water pump you could buy cheap as a core with Kanter. Hey, its worth a try.

I just got a water pump rebuilt for my 37 from S&N Auto Electric - Sacramento, CA. He rebuilds all water pumps and does custom. Rebuild cost me $75.00 It's working great.

The ph # is 916-920-2233

:eek: I just pulled my water pump off my old 216 motor that's end of life, after reading this posting, I ran out and salvaged it off the motor as its going to the recyclers for some cash...

"whew" so I also took off the 6v starter, and some other misc parts..