HOW BEST TO SHOW

DAVE A

Ok Judges, I have a couple of questions on how best (or what is proper) to show my car. I am planning on having my 1951 Crosley Farm O Road at Charlotte this Spring in Class 04-B small cars. For those that don't know, the Farm O Road was a dual purpose car to be used as a tractor on a small farm with dual rear wheels with tractor tires, and came stock with military lugged front tires. The duals could be removed at the end of the day and street tires be put on to go to town. It had an optional full canvas top with full side curtains (otherwise no doors) Also the hood was a fully removable one with no supports to hold it in place. So here's my questions.

1. The car has a single spare bracket on the side. I think it best to put a single street spare on that, however, I am afraid of the problems with judging of mismatched tires. I can have a second spare standing by to illustrate the street option, but I don't know how it will be received. I would put another military lugged tire on the spare if one could be found but they are unobtanium.

2. Since they are full side curtains, do I leave them on for judging or remove one so the interior judge can see inside?

3. Do I leave the hood off so the engine judge can see inside or leave it on until asked to open the hood?? If I leave it off, where should I put it for judging??

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Dear Dave:),I have never judged at an AACA show,that being said i will tell you how i would show your car.#1 IMHO the correct spare tire should be like the front,military lugged unobtainable tire,explain to the judges the situation.#2 I would leave the passenger side curtains in place and display the remaining in front of the vehicle on the ground.#3 Leave the hood on and remove when requested by the judges.Hope this helps.diz:)

Dave, you should consult the Crosley Auto Club FOR advisor :D

If you look at the factory literature/photos you will find examples with street tires on the front instead of military tread and you will also see examples with a street tire on as a spare with military tires on the front. I would make sure I had the appropriate photos to show the team captain in advance. I believe you could buy the FOR with either street or military tread.

If you really want to minimize point deductions you should leave all optional equipment at home, so I would show with out top and side curtains and have the option list that shows they were not standard. Also the rear bed was optional. You need to decide how perfect on the optional parts are since all they can do is cause deductions.

Knowing how crowded some show fields can be I would make a small fold up rack that you can sit either in front or behind the FOR with the hood on top of it. Make sure it is stable and tall enough that people will see it. As long as your going to be with the FOR I would wait till the judges show up to remove the hood. I would certainly not leave it on if you're not going to be there since 99% of judges and probably all of the captains will not know the proper way to remove correctly.

If you decide to show with the top and side curtains I think you can have the side curtains partially on snapped so they can still be judge and the interior can be judged also. Or just like a car with doors they can be opened when the judges are ready to judge the interior.

Jim;

I apologise for not asking you, I should have thought of it. I constantly forget that you are also a seasoned AACA judge as well as a Crosley collector. I found the pictures you refer to in the FOR brochure you wrote. Since they came from factory letters, I think they will suffice to show the judges the combination of tires I am going to use. As you know, I like to show with a top on so I will use your second suggestion and open them just like a door for the interior judge. I've noted your suggestion to show a "bare bones" vehicle, however, I guess I want to show people how nice a FOR can be and if I can win an award ok and if not, so be it. If I fail my way, maybe I'll try yours. Your suggestion on the hood is appreciated, I will do it that way. Don't want to do a number like one of our other FOR owners and lay it on the ground in front of the vehicle then drive over it after the show is over.

Dave,

With a quick glance, I think your questions are basically answered. I will suggest one additional note regarding Side Curtains. For AACA Judging the side curtains do not have to be installed on the vehicle. They just need to be displayed for the judges to see. Most people would display side curtains on the back seat of a vehicle or displayed on the ground behind the vehicle.

From the judging guidelines:

"3. Touring/Roadster/Convertible tops must be in the up position for material to be

judged, or the full deduction for the top will be made. Rear windows must be of

the correct type or the full deduction will be taken. Side curtains must be available

and/or displayed for viewing by the judges, but do not have to be in place. The curtains

must be displayed with all applicable irons, brackets and fasteners."

Restorer;

According to the brochure that Jim put together in 1979, which is a compilation of factory letters, darn near everything on the Farm O Road was an option. The bed in the back, the second windshield wiper, the top, the tires of different types, the dual rear wheels, the impliments,the hand throttle, the spring blocks, etc. Your idea is what Jim suggested which is to remove ALL the options and show the basic vehicle without them.

If you have documentation that anything is an option, you can choose to leave it off, or you can choose to have it judged. In judging, less is more. If it is not required to be there, and it is not there, you can't lose any points on it. If you choose to display an option, if the option has any condition issues, you could lose points by displaying the optional equipement.

If the optional equipment is in perfect condtion, display as many optional items as you wish. If condition is not a problem, I would display as many options as you think make the best display of how the vehicle would have normally appeared when new.