Pass thru latch broke

DAVES89

The pass thru latch on my black is broke. I have picked up a good one to replace it. I do have the old latch out, but unfortunately I am not able to open the door. The drivers side is "loose" but the passenger side of the door is still latched.

Any ideas?

I read the manual and it says to remove the interior trim to get to the door. But all that just for the latch?

Any shortcuts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Guest Mc_Reatta

Dave, surprised you could get the latch out without the door being open as the 4 screws that hold it in are on the back.

There is a mechanical linkage that the key operates in the latch that works the locking mechanism. It probably needs to be lubricated to keep it from sticking as it has some rods and pivot points.

If you have the mechanism unlocked, try wiggling the top of the door to see if you can free up the side that is sticking.

If that doesn't work, open up the trunk and at the top corners of the pass thru will be a nut that holds the two locking pins in place. Unscrew the one on the passenger side and the pin will pull through the wall and let you open the door where you can work on the latch and mechanics.

Will have to play a little bit when you reinstall to make sure the pin lines up with the hole in the door and the latch works without sticking. Not too hard.

Richard,

From 89 FSM Page 10-6-4 , Rear Compartment Access Door, last two sentences: The handle is used only to open and close the the door. The door will not remain closed while the vehicle is in motion, unless locked with a key; I know you have a 90 but might/should apply.

Edited by 88atta (see edit history)

Contact Jim Finn at jfinn@cpinternet.com. He was a great help to me on a similar problem. He is in Mexico for a short time now tho.

Don, 3rd Reatta

I am not in Mexico yet but will be starting Tuesday. Currently I am in the cesspool of yellow and green, at my grandson's baptism.

This is my first typed out message on my new IPhone and now I see why all the kids spelling and punctuation is so bad.

I am not in Mexico yet but will be starting Tuesday. Currently I am in the cesspool of yellow and green, at my grandson's baptism.

This is my first typed out message on my new IPhone and now I see why all the kids spelling and punctuation is so bad.

it's not so much that as laziness, and need for speed... :P Not me of course... I try to sound like a civilized human being who can read and write the English language.

Some cesspool. That's the cesspool you wish your team was in.

The nut holding the lock pin in place is a stop nut. Working on doing that from yhat end. I think once I get that pin out I will open up the back of the door to see how the mechanism fits together.

Hopefully it is above freezing. Not to bad if it is just 35 degrees or warmer...

Guest Mc_Reatta

If you don't have an assistant, use a wedge to apply pressure on the door to force it towards opening which should help in keeping the pin from spinning while you loosen the nut. You can also try some small vice grips with some cushioning so you don't butcher the threads up.

I got the pin out using a needle nosed vice grips that my buddy lent me. The door is now opening. I also removed the other lock pin.

Rather then using the one remaining good lockset I have, I opted to use velcro to hold door in the closed position, and the old broken lockset

I just am reluctant to use something that the unlearned may break. I will keep it and install it when the day comes to sell the car.

I have plenty of the glovebox/storage bin locksets, but only one pass thru lockset. They are not made anymore and probably getting hard to find.

Guest Mc_Reatta

If you have lots of patience, you can convert the latch over to the pass thru type by exchanging the sliding bar from the broken pass thru latch over to one of your others.

Set the lock to the unlocked position, pull the latching pawl to the latched position, (up and to the front) and remove the lock cylinder.

This should free the sliding bar so that it can be moved all the way to the left (non cylinder side) without hitting anything till it stops.

You then push further and harder on the bar in that direction and it will go past an indent and come out the other side.

There will be a spring that will drop out that will need to be replaced when you put it back together. It won't try to jump away, but will probably fall so be forewarned.

Should be able to swap the two different bars and make the new latch a pass thru latch.

Pay attention to the orientation of how the bars come out of the latch and put them back the same way. You can put them back 180 deg out and wonder why it won't work. Take care to get the spring back in place when you reassemble too.

You can experiment on your broken latch until you get the hang of it.