1/4 window adjustment

Rosiesdad

Hi again. I pulled the quarter windows out of my '50 super convertible to see how they adjust. I need to close up the "V" gap between it and the front door glass. It appears the hydraulic lift assy is not pushing window frame all the way up. I don't have a "Body" manual and see no provision to extend the length of the push rod. I dropped the pivot bolt all the way down already. Is there some way to increase the "Lift" of window. I dont see a way to raise the cylinder so am considering removing the glass and drilling out the rivets on window frame bottom so I can put some shims in there to raise the height. I only need a 1/4" I figure. Am I missing something here?????

Thanks again!

Phil

post-71590-143138445076_thumb.jpg

Phil,

I am not sure, but on a 1957 they have 2 manuals - one for chassis, and one for body. I don't know if that is the same for the 1950, but I would guess. The body manual addresses all the items pertaining to body, including glass installation and adjustment. Like Bob said, maybe you need to get that manual, if is out there. That may help with the problem you are having. Just a suggestion..

Regards,

Well Bob, I have a service manual. It doesn't address the problem I am speaking of.

I misread your post to mean you have no manuals at all. Sorry, but it's kind of a pet peeve of mine when someone owns an old car, doesn't make the effort to get a manual, and expects others to research his problem. My mistake there.

Without knowing your car I would say that there is most likely something worn, broken, loose or all three. Modifying the mechanism is sort of a band aid

approach to the problem. Have you exposed the mechanisms on both the good and bad sides and had someone raise and lower the windows while you watched closely for differences? .....................Bob

Yes Bob. I know what you mean. I try and search the forum's first too. Actually Both sides have the same problem. I can't see how the bottom of the lift cylinder is located and was hoping to NOT have to disconnect it and take it out (With all the mess involved) to find there is no adjustment there! I don't see any obvious wear problems and one of the lift cylinders was recently replaced by the p/owner. If the end of the cylinder rod was threaded it would solve the problem but doesn't appear to be the case. :(

All the 1/4 windows I've seen have stops and adjustments for under/over travel. As for pulling the cylinder sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I image you've made sure you have enough fluid in system. I wouldn't think any adjustment would be on the cylinder bottom and I hate to say it but i've seen rust do it's thing on cylinder floor mount brackets and floor pans. They live in a bad place...........Bob