THE ROYAL TOUR BUICK - CANADA'S MOST HISTORIC AUTOMOBILE (IMHO)

Guest Rob McDonald

Guest Rob McDonald

In 1939, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (later lovingly known worldwide as the Queen Mum) toured Canada, from Quebec City to the west coast. It was the first-ever overseas tour by any reigning British monarch. For many Canadians who experienced it, this was the most happily memorable public experience of their lives.

Fittingly for such a momentous cross-country spectacle, the Government of Canada commissioned four special parade cars. They were all long-wheelbase open tourers: two Buick model 90s (badged as McLaughlin-Buicks to promote GM of Canada), a Lincoln Model K and a Chrysler Imperial. As the Royal Couple made their way across Canada by train, the parade cars would be shuttled on ahead to their next destination. One would be waiting at each railway station when they arrived.

For actual 1939 tour footage from Vancouver, see www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/exhibits/jubilee/mpegs/medium/aaaa2597.mpg

(Note the huge MG model SA tourer that carried the military types ahead of the Royals' car.)

There is an embarrassing error in the captioning of this video clip and accompanying photo: the car shown is not a Buick! It was clearly the Lincoln, which was also used for the Edmonton stopover - see attached photo. Also attached are photos of the Chrysler on Winnipeg's Main Street and of the Queen exiting one of the Buicks in Ottawa.

After the month-long journey ended, these four special cars were turned back to the Dominion Government, to be used as fleet vehicles. In the early 1940s, one of the two Buicks was sold to a wealthy unmarried woman from Victoria, British Columbia. She drove it over 200,000 miles, covering most of North America, and kept it right up until the early 1980's.

The story of that car was masterfully told in the Buick Bugle by its current owner, Vern Bethel. Unfortunately, the link to his article on PreWarBuick - The Largest Vintage Buick gallery on the web - PreWarBuick.com has been lost. If anyone knows how to restore it, please do so. If Vern is active in the AACA forums, send him on over here to say hi.

Some terrific photos of this car can be seen at Royal Buick McLaughlin 1939 Hand Built For British Monarch and Royal Visits Vancouver 21

The whereabouts of other Buick is unknown. One of the other Royal Tour cars was displayed in Murray Gammon's Classic Car Museum in Victoria during the 1970's. Disturbingly, I can't remember whether it was the Lincoln or the Chrysler. I'm inclined to say the Chrysler because I didn't like it that much.

If there is ever an award proclaimed for the most historic car in Canada, this McLaughlin-Buick will be it. Its initial connection to royalty is charming but its adventures with its second owner and its subsequent reacquaintance with the British Royal Family - twice! - are truly legendary. But I'll let Vern tell you the good parts.

post-59990-143138444735_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143138444738_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143138444788_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

HEY, I was at the same Buick National Meet and also met Vern there. Orlando in August - the unique experience (for a Canadian) of hot rain. Buckets of it.

I hope Vern chimes in here because I'm getting the feeling that both Royal Tour Buicks still exist. Searching for photos, I found one with Ontario license plates and I don't know if Vern's car has ever been out of British Columbia, except when the old girl had it.

Both still exist. The BC 39 was up for sale some years ago at $250K.

Still there

1939 - 1940 PreWar Buick Gallery - PreWarBuick.com

I submitted a lot of the 39 images on PreWarBuick - The Largest Vintage Buick gallery on the web - PreWarBuick.com, (including the 1939 Holden Buick shell) but some images are now gone

A lot of us were at Flint in 2003. Will never be another like in my lifetime

Guest Rob McDonald

1939_buick, thanks, the pictures are still on the site, including the ad by GM of Canada, celebrating the Royal Tour. However, I can't find a live link to Vern's informative article.

CORRECTION: so it seems that there's a black parade Buick in Ottawa, that was used when the current Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip opened the Commonwealth Games in Victoria, BC, in 1994. The maroon car, latterly if not presently owned by Vern Bethel, now seems to be in the BC Museum of Transportation in Vancouver. Vern loaned it back to the Government of Canada, when Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana attended Expo '86 in Vancouver.

post-59990-143138446244_thumb.jpg

Guys: The Royal Touring at Flint 2003 was the Ottawa one. Back in 1975 Larry Norton was the owner and had it out at the McLaughlin Buick Club Homecoming at Col Sam's Parkwood Estate. Fellow BCA member Dan Myers and I journeyed there in Dan's 58 Limited and had the privilege of riding in this car during the driving tour of the Meet. Definitely the highlight of my years in this hobby. I believe this car was acquired by the Canadian National Museum after Larry's ownership. The car was looking tired at the Flint Meet. Sure hope someone gives it the attention it deserves.

Vern Bethel wrote a very detailed article of his acquistion of the BC car in a 1972 issue of the MBCC Accelerator. I believe he had one in the Bugle as well. I met Vern at Flint 76(?). First class guy. Hope he finds this post.

More here on the Vern Bethel BC car

Royal Buick McLaughlin 1939 Hand Built For British Monarch and Royal Visits Vancouver 21

Today, the Buick McLaughlin S/N 1 is still in active service in BC while the one resides in an Ottawa museum. Earlier this year, Vanoc requested the Buick McLaughlin for service for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games but later changed its mind. No reasons were given but for one thing, no members of the British Royal Families visited during the 2010 Games.

• 11 years later...