'38 - 248 - exhaust manifold attachment

JoelsBuicks

In the picture below you'll see a box of sorts attached to my 38 exhaust manifold. It has a tube that attaches to the choke on the Carter WCD carburetor. I have a feeling that some of this, even perhaps the carburetor itself may be from a different year. In particular, I wonder about this attached box, which doesn't have any penetrations to the manifold but instead provides for a supply of quiescent warm air to the choke. Is this setup original or is it something that was regional? In a way, it looks like a professionally added component vs. an afterthought. This is the only one of these I've seen. I guess I'll keep it but is there anything to learn here?

Thanks,

post-55940-143138443724_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I will throw my two cents worth in but I don't know much about the Marvel carbs or 1938s. I really think I will confuse matters even worse so that maybe someone can correct me, so we all know what is correct.

To the best of my knowledge the 1937 Special came with either a Marvel CD-1 or the Stromberg AA-1. The 38 Special came with a Stromberg AAV-1, Marvel CD-1 or maybe a CD-2 depending on what book I look at. I didn't think Buick started using Carter as a supplier until 1939 but I'm not sure.

I parted out a 1938 Special with the choke assembly you have, so yours is not the only one out there. I also have a NOS choke assembly kit like the one in your picture. The box label says it is for a 1937 Buick, the package number is 195-11U. I'm not sure, but I half think it is some kind of aftermarket assembly. I know it doesn't go to the Stromberg AA-1. Hope someone out there can correct and clarify my post.

Carl

Guest Tishabet

My 38 Special came with a Marvel from the factory and now runs an AAV-1. My manifold does not have this "box" and I can't say I've ever seen one like it on a 38, neither of my carbs has anything for this "box" to attach to.

The carbs that came from the factory for the 37 and 38 model years were not very good (the Marvel was especially bad) so 39 and later carbs were often added, I believe the 39 Carter was offered by the dealerships themselves as an aftermarket product for 37 and 38 owners so perhaps this "box" is part of a legit dealer install.

Guest Tishabet
There is no box on mine either. However there is a flex cable from the choke to a thermocouple on exhaust manifold to open the choke when it warms up.

Yes, same situation with both my Marvel and my Stromberg.

Hi,

Here are a couple of pictures of the package and choke parts. I picked this kit up at Hershey 30 some years ago for my 1937 Buick assuming they were correct. At the time my car was fitted with a later Carter WDO and a manual choke and I didn't know what the choke for my car was supposed to look like. I know it doesn't attach to the Stromberg AA-1. Unfortunately as I recall the 1938 Special I parted out that had been equipped with this kit didn't have any carburetor on it. To be honest I don't know what this kit fits.

post-33892-14313844948_thumb.jpg

post-33892-143138449483_thumb.jpg

post-33892-143138449486_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1937-44
pictures didn't upload (see edit history)

Wow, that's pretty cool.

The '37s Marvel carb was a bit ordinary and the auto choke for that and the Stromberg was too. (If I recall, they also didn't have a high speed discharge economiser valve until '38 [could be wrong about that though])

A few years later Carter says fit one of our carbs with an integral starter switch and HEY-VOILÀ , here's a solution for the "But what about the auto choke?" question.

If you weren't paranoid about originality, I think it's a pretty good fix if you weren't happy with the original carb.

Danny

Ok, I woke up in the middle of the night and remembered where the carburetor was that came off the 38 Special. The carburetor that was on the 38 Special with the heat tube assembly we have been talking about was a Stromberg AAV-167. I believe the AAV-167 was from a 41-49 Buick.

I can only assume Buick retrofitted some of the 1937/1938's with this conversion because of complaints.

Can anyone confirm?

Carl

post-33892-143138449679_thumb.jpg

Guest Tishabet

Very interesting... so the thought is that the "tube" attached to the "box" on the manifold goes to the choke assembly, correct? If so, how does it work? Is the "tube" just a conductor for heat which will warm an element inside the choke or...?

1937-44, I own an AAV-167 which I purchased as a possible replacement for the AAV-1 currently on my 38, I had assumed the nipple on the choke was for a vacuum line but I guess not?

Hi Grant,

Yes. I believe you are correct in your assumption. It is a insulated copper tube that just conducts the heat from the manifold to the choke. Seems to me some of the older Carter carburetors used a similar set up. I believe there is a bimetal spring inside the choke that either expands or contracts which then opens the butterfly.

Carl

• 13 years later...
Posted (edited)
On 2/14/2011 at 9:54 PM, 1937-44 said:

Hi,

Here are a couple of pictures of the package and choke parts. I picked this kit up at Hershey 30 some years ago for my 1937 Buick assuming they were correct. At the time my car was fitted with a later Carter WDO and a manual choke and I didn't know what the choke for my car was supposed to look like. I know it doesn't attach to the Stromberg AA-1. Unfortunately as I recall the 1938 Special I parted out that had been equipped with this kit didn't have any carburetor on it. To be honest I don't know what this kit fits.

post-33892-14313844948_thumb.jpg

post-33892-143138449483_thumb.jpg

post-33892-143138449486_thumb.jpg

@1937-44 do you still have this kit?

Edited by BetoB (see edit history)

10 hours ago, BetoB said:

do you still have this kit?

Hi, 

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I'm confident I still have the kit. I've enjoyed looking at what I considered a scarce part on the shelf for years, but it got moved last year.  Although I've enjoyed looking at it for probably 40+ years, I'm older and need to downsize plus it would do more good on a car than my shelf and it isn't for my 1937.  I will locate it shortly and offer it up for sale.

Carl

7 minutes ago, 1937-44 said:

Hi, 

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I'm confident I still have the kit. I've enjoyed looking at what I considered a scarce part on the shelf for years, but it got moved last year.  Although I've enjoyed looking at it for probably 40+ years, I'm older and need to downsize plus it would do more good on a car than my shelf and it isn't for my 1937.  I will locate it shortly and offer it up for sale.

Carl

Carl, thank you for the reply. Is definitely a hard to find kit. I am unable to send personal messages yet on here but please shoot me an email if you find it/ready to sell...   betobailey@yahoo.com

• Like 1

I don't claim to be an expert on 38 Buicks, however during the past two years I have gained a lot of knowledge about the 248 engines while working on my '38.

I do know that the '38's have a different style of intake/exhaust manifold. The carb on mine was a Marval, that had a remote fuel peddle operated start system.

I removed the complete intake/exhaust manifold system from my car. it was in perfect condition, if you are interested in obtaining more information, pix, etc. let me know. Wm