Attaching window sweepers

Rosiesdad

Guest Rob McDonald

PHIL, my '57 had those sweepers stapled-in also. I trimmed the new ones to size, then clamped them and drilled through the moulding and the door edge, to install small flat head stainless steel screws. This location is often wet, so you don't want to use carbon steel fasteners. For the same reason, touch up the holes with paint - any colour, it's hidden - before driving the screws in. The heads sit tight to the plastic/composite moulding into which the "mouse hairs" are bonded, so they won't contact the glass or the surrounding chrome, if the windows are adjusted properly.

Another approach is to melt deep, round, flat spots in the fuzz with a red hot 3/16" rod. Drill and attach with SS pop rivets. The rivet head will be pulled way down into the fuzz and won't rub on the glass. Touch up the rivet head with flat black paint and it will never be seen. Quick and easy. If it's not rivet acessable still melt the recess in the fuzz to assure the fastener will be well below glass contact.........Bob

Not familiar with the 50s cars but the late 60s Rivs had them riveted on. I'm assuming your strips have a metal back. An option to screws is JB weld. I always use it to install the fuzzies and have never had a problem. It won't fail if applied properly and there is never any chance of a screw scratching the window.