Would You Restore or Just Preserve This Car?

Guest CaptainGTX

Guest CaptainGTX

Thanks for the positive reinforcement, guys. Attached are some more photos taken last summer. I don't think any are repeats.

post-64478-14314172096_thumb.jpg

post-64478-143141720973_thumb.jpg

post-64478-143141720982_thumb.jpg

post-64478-143141720991_thumb.jpg

post-64478-143141721004_thumb.jpg

post-64478-143141721012_thumb.jpg

Guest Lincoln54Capri
find a top line upholstery shop that can replace the top, that will use up $5,000 and keep you dry. Bob

Put the top down and only drive it on nice days and save yourself the $5K. Replace the floors where it's rusted through and install the seat belts. Good luck....

Good choice to preserve! What a beautiful specimen to maintain! Most of us would have loved to had something like your car to start with as a base. Would have saved us many thousands of dollars, a lot of blood, sweat and downright unacceptable language. But, that's what this hobby is all about. Enjoying your car, how you would enjoy it! Matt

Glad to see that you are enjoying it in it's "working clothes." Many times it is a lot more fun to cruise in a car that you are not worried that a pebble on the roadway flung by the tires will chip a little piece of paint. Or a kid with an Icecream may drip a little on the bumper. Maybe even getting caught in the rain. Enjoy it, Drive it, Preserve it. And in that order. Also, know that the guys with the trailer Queens are not having as much fun as you being the worry warts that they are. I swear that a lot of them do not even know how to smile. :P.... :cool: Dandy Dave!

Guest CaptainGTX

I started this thread by noting that this is the only 53 Dodge convertible in the WPC's roster. They made fewer 54 convertibles, yet at last count I believe there were six of that year in the roster (probably due to the fact some of the 54's were Indianapolis 500 pace car replicas, hence were collectible from the start). Since my original post two years ago one more 53 has surfaced, although I understand it's basically a shell. So far as I know, mine's the earliest build surviving, so might still be the oldest Dodge hemi convertible existing.

Many here have acknowledged this is an uncommon car. Does anyone reading this know of any others? I'm aware of the ones that can be found doing an internet search. The easiest way to distinguish between 53's and 54's is that in 54 they flipped the side trim side to side, revised the grille to include a vertical post in the middle and added a small chrome fin to the top of each rear fender. And (more trivia)very early 53's had a different taillight lens and bezel that did not include two visable screws to hold the lenses in place.