1890's A.O. Bettes Auto Polish Can?

Guest onegroovydude

Guest onegroovydude

Hi. I'm new to the forums. I thought this might be the place to find the answer I need. I have a large collection of old gas, oil, and auto related cans. About 500 to be exact. The earlist I really have goes back to the 20's. Not too long ago I came across a full auto polish can manufactured by A.O. Bettes. It is a cone top can, with a paper label. It shows a picture of an extremely early automobile, and if you hold the can just right you can see that it says: Registered Trademark - April 11, 1893. I've never seen any polish cans that old, but I'm assuming it's gotta be one of the first ever. Anyone ever seen, or heard of this, know the car, or know what something this rare might be worth? Thanks

DSC08854640x480.jpg

DSC08855640x480.jpg

DSC08856640x480.jpg

DSC08857640x480.jpg

DSC08859640x480.jpg

Edited by onegroovydude (see edit history)

Guest onegroovydude

I guess it's hard to tell exactly because it's not a crystal clear picture on the can, but it really looks almost just like it. Thanks for the quick reply.

Guest onegroovydude

I thought that very thing. Whats inside is def. a mystery. I have seen other various auto polish cans that are old, and they are all specifically marketed as multi use. They will say on them "Auto & Piano", or "Auto & Stove". To me, it seems like the marketing behind the label is more towards strictly automobiles. It does say that it cleans anything metal, but it doesn't use any other key words on the can anywhere, except "Automobiles", or "Auto"

Every other can I've ever seen, also shows no pictures on them at all, especially of a car... that old. I'm really thinking that with the type of can, the age of the paper label, the registered trademark of 1893, the picture of the extremely old car, and the fact that it was marketed almost exclusively (it seems like) towards automobiles, with no mention of any other specific uses, at least dates it to the turn of the century. I'm not positive, as there is no current way to reference it exactly, but I'm trying to use my best CSI tactics, and take what clues the can, info, and picture have left behind.

Guest onegroovydude

Hey Dave. I know this is a little off subject, but what's that deal you got about Jackie Wilson. I love Jackie Wilson. I have every album, including his rare live final performance (the concert before he suffered his stroke on the Dick Clark Traveling Road Show). It's crazy what he says as he brings down the house for his final number (My Way) before he goes on to the next show, just to suffer a stroke almost instantly into it, that renders him utterly usless for almost a decade before he finally slips away. I've lived by this quote ever since I heard him say it:

"You know ladies, and gentleman, it's a pleaure to be back like I said. And God knows, I hope to back in the near future, very soon. Thank you very much. In the meanwhile, may I say, whatever goes up, has a tendency, most time to come down. Now we all know that. We also know that what goes around, eventually, comes around. But I'd like to say that nobody, but nobody, does anything, wrong, unless, they want to do it. By the same token, no one does anything right, unless, they want to do it. Think about me, and I'll be damned, if I won't, think about you. Listen here"

I've spent years locating all (but few) videos of him. He has been one of my idols, and main inspirations through the good, and bad times of my life. He absolutely kills at the Copa! I was just on another forum that I belong to, complaining about how extremely terrible the performances of the Super Bowl was. Quote:

"I was embarrassed for the whole country. Christina totally ruined the national anthem, then fergie sounded like she was yelling through mud. She couldnt win a karaoke contest at the Down Syndrome clinic. The black eyed peas? Give me a break (and not off of a kit kat bar). I guess I'm just used to people that can actually sing, and have talent. I'm afraid the days of crooners like Elvis, and Jackie Wilson are long gone."

Judging from the car on the label, I'd say it dates to the mid oughts (around 1905-1907). There were no such cars in 1893. The 1893 probably refers to the date that the name "Ideal Cream Polish" was registered. Remember that there was brass to clean prior to automobiles making their appearance.

Then, as cars became popular, they added the picture of a generic car, to suggest another use for the "cream polish", but again, the 1893 had nothing to do with when the can was made.

Neat item for sure, great condition....

Guest onegroovydude

Well I did a search on Google, and found 2 hits. One was a post card that's in the Kansas City Museum, and the only other one was an envelope for sale with an advert for A.O. Bettes. The postcard was dated between 1880-1900. The envelope was dated 1901. It had a picture of ideal cream polish, but it was a different can, non auto related. I called the museum to see if they could provide me with any information on Bettes since they were from KC, and the only thing they could find was registry information ending just past the turn of the century. I'm assuming they were not around for very long. From the information I've gathered, I don't see this thing being past 1910.

Judging from the car on the label, I'd say it dates to the mid oughts (around 1905-1907). There were no such cars in 1893. The 1893 probably refers to the date that the name "Ideal Cream Polish" was registered. Remember that there was brass to clean prior to automobiles making their appearance.

Then, as cars became popular, they added the picture of a generic car, to suggest another use for the "cream polish", but again, the 1893 had nothing to do with when the can was made.

Neat item for sure, great condition....

You are correct, Trimacar!

Cool can! Like David suggested, it's a company that obviously had been around a while making polish for everything, then as autos gained popularity, they probably found out you could use it for that also. Putting a pic of the car on the label was done to help sell the polish. The car actually looks more like an early Rambler than a Thomas (Radiator shape) but it's probably generic. Looks to be around 07-09 era to me. Hard to put a value on it - illustrated cans in nice shape can be in the $100s to the right collector. The fact that its a paper label rather than litho tin diminishes it somewhat, but It's in nice condition, rare, and I wouldnt be surprised to see it make a couple hundred bucks in an auction. I've got some time this weekend so will try and post a couple of pics from my own collection.

Terry

Terry

No offense meant (especially since you aren't posting to sell this can). But, the excellent, unrusted condition of the metal can doesn't quite sync with the condition of the paper label. The absence of even a bit of surface rust is wonderful....but would cause me to at least think carefully about the authenticity of the overall piece.

Maybe there is a wonderful story about how this metal can survived in completely rust-free conditon for 100 years. But, on the other hand, consider that the advent of good quality color copy machines, and computer graphics and imaging, is causing many can collectors to be extra careful when examining paper label cans these days.

Again, this is not a shot at this particular can....just an observation about it, and the state of can collecting today. John

Here are a couple of pics of some cans decorating my recreated early auto parts store. I'd love to have a nicer condition version of the Sears can but I'm just glad to have one. Are there any others out there?

Terry

post-30751-143138455841_thumb.jpg

post-30751-14313845589_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143138455939_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143138455985_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143138456036_thumb.jpg

If you read the label carefully it is metal polish for polishing the brass and other metal parts.

No doubt, the manufacturer started making brass and metal polish for household use in 1893 then when autos became popular, repackaged it as "auto polish".

The style of the can and screw cap look a little modern to me, but what do I know? The good condition of the can does not prove it is not old. It is quite possible the can spent a century pushed to the back of a dark cupboard in someone's house.

Date of the car would be about 1907. But the same label could have been used for several years.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Guest onegroovydude
No offense meant (especially since you aren't posting to sell this can). But, the excellent, unrusted condition of the metal can doesn't quite sync with the condition of the paper label. The absence of even a bit of surface rust is wonderful....but would cause me to at least think carefully about the authenticity of the overall piece.

Maybe there is a wonderful story about how this metal can survived in completely rust-free conditon for 100 years. But, on the other hand, consider that the advent of good quality color copy machines, and computer graphics and imaging, is causing many can collectors to be extra careful when examining paper label cans these days.

Again, this is not a shot at this particular can....just an observation about it, and the state of can collecting today. John

The can was never rusty when I received it, but it had a nice build up of grime, and heavy tarnish. I used Noxon, and carefully cleaned the top, and bottom lip edge, so as not to damage the paper, then finished the cone. That's why the can looks so nice. I'm very OCD, and cannot stand dirt, and grime, especially if I can make it look like new again with very little effort.

Some things I don't touch, like guns for example, because collectors want them that way, but most everything else I clean it to make it look as nice as possible. Here's a couple pictures of a mid 19th Century all brass Coffee Mill that I Noxon'd, and sold on Ebay last year. It was black as the ace of spades when I got it, and this is what the Noxon, and a little elbow grease did for it. It sold within a few days, and brought about 2 to 3 times what other ones not cleaned were bringing. I will say that the design was also much more elegant than others, so I'm sure that helped, but the shine (I think) is what helped make it look so beautiful, and stand out in the crowd.

DSC00439Medium640x480.jpg

DSC00449Medium640x480.jpg

DSC00451Medium640x480.jpg

DSC00455Medium640x480.jpg

Guest onegroovydude
Here are a couple of pics of some cans decorating my recreated early auto parts store. I'd love to have a nicer condition version of the Sears can but I'm just glad to have one. Are there any others out there?

Terry

Those cans are awesome! I love all old advertising, but I really love the cans. I've never seen another Sears oil can like that. It almost puts me in the mind of a rocker wheel can, but square. If you click the photo, it'll take you to the photobucket album some of mine are in. There's 24 pictures total, of all different cans. You can scroll through once it takes you there. It's about half of my entire collection. This isn't the cream of the crop, but there's a few good ones in there, and a lot of variety for decoration.

th_DSC07249800x600.jpg