Reconstruction of a '34 Chevy Master Coupe

Chuck,

No complications. They are healing fine according to the surgeon. I think he's waiting for the scabs to fall off before he removes the stitches. They still wrap them to prevent any bending since the tendons were severed and they are probably being held together mostly by the sutures still. He said three months until we can start therapy to get them to bend again. Now, if they remain straight forever, that'll count for a complication. As far as the bones, they said three months for them to mend. I had gouged thriugh about 3/4 of the thickness, and with my small hands, that doesn't leave much.

it's not the age but rather the mileage !!!!!!

After finishing our tile bathroom remodel yesterday (my very first tile job), I feel like I have twice the miles on me than I had before. I actually drew the sketch first and amazingly enough it turned out. Sorry that the photos are not old car related.....now I can get back to work on my '31 Dodge.

post-37352-143139338374_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139338382_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139338391_thumb.jpg

post-37352-1431393384_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Hi Landman

I don't comment on other peoples threads unless I feel compelled to. I live in Australia and I have been a member of the AACA for some years now. The subscriptions are not a whole lot of money and if it is just to get the magazine it is worth while! Along the way you get to meet a whole lot of the nicest people. The subs go from January 1 to December 31 So sign up now and you will get the full 12 Months of membership. If you ask nicely someone in the office may even send you a copy of the JAN/FEB issue of the Antique Automobile.

Just do it now.

Bj.

I think it was the renowned philosoper Unimog John who said on this forum not too long ago:"Three steps ahead, then one back." Well, what about 1/2 mile back. Due to an insurmountable snafu with the paint (see the photo with the cowl vent) it was decided to repaint the whole car. So off came all the stuff I had been putting on and away it went back to the paint shop.

There are a couple of things I had thought of doing but hadn't gotten around to due to my haste with the reassembly. One was the grill. I thought there wasn't enough contrast between the bars and the background. US built cars have every second bar painted black while Canadian cars have all the bars shiny. So I just masked them all and sprayed metallic charcoal on the bottom of the fabric. It doesn't really show in the photos but is noticeable to the naked eye.

The other thing was the dash. The instrument cluster wasn't a close enough match to the rest so I redid the woodgrain. While I was at it I put the toner to the garnish moldings and gave them some clearcoat.

post-59904-143141722794_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141722798_thumb.jpg

post-59904-1431417228_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141722806_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141722808_thumb.jpg

Snafu? Are you sure it isn't fubar? For Roger's edification the "f" word is the same as snafu, followed by "up beyond all reason". :)

So you have to redo the whole paint job? That's what I would call a real PITA! :(

Terry

Edited by dictator27 (see edit history)

So you have to redo the whole paint job? That's what I would call a real PITA! :(

Terry

We only have to redo the body shell and the doors because his original batch was too small and not to code. I just came from there, by Sunday the whole shebang should be done with the correct color and all out of the same batch. The rest, hood, trunklid, fenders and running boards were still in primer.

Pat - I'm glad for you that it was detected as early as it was. Whether it was you, your painter, your daughter or whomever - just be glad to know that it will be redone and all from the same batch! Then the work begins again; it will be easier now! Sounds kinda like the movie Groundhog Day, isn't that day coming up soon?? We are here, in this with you Pat, till the end. First cruise is right around the corner. Thanks for keeping us updated. Chin up.

Chuck

Edited by Woodfiddler
phat phingers (see edit history)

Here it is, scuffed and ready to re-shoot along with the other parts that are ready for paint. All that's left to prep is the tailpan and the sidemount covers. I spent some time in there today showing them all the areas that will have to be taken down rather than just scuffed to avoid the levels of buildup which would cause interference in the assembly. I hope we didn't forget anything.

post-59904-143141730389_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141730392_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141730395_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141730397_thumb.jpg

Pushed the car back home with the boys. Started the reassembly. Or is it restarted the assembly, or maybe more accurately restarted the reassembly as it is the third reassembly. Intalled the bracket in the cowl vent, mounted and adjusted the cowl vent to the body.

Installed the dash light sockets onto the new harness. They actually work. :D

Spent some time today with a helper, trying to install the windshield and the rear window. The windshield doesn't fit, it is too large. It was cut from a template made from an actual windshield. The opening hasn't been modified, therefore the repop rubber is different. The glassman made a house call, took all kinds of measurements, made marks on the glass and took off with the windshield. Says he can trim it without having to cut a new one. :(

So to pacify myself, I installed the stainless trim and the rubber corners on a hood panel. :rolleyes:

post-59904-143141741311_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141741314_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141741317_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141741319_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141741321_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141741323_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141741326_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141741328_thumb.jpg

post-59904-14314174133_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141741332_thumb.jpg

Hi Pat,

Looks like it matches now !

Tell me your not the one sitting and steering while your mates are pushing ! hahahaha. At least you all have smiles on your faces.

Interesting the extremes in weather. Yours at -30c and today we'll probably hit 40c.

How does your rubber corners attach to the corners of the hood panel ?

Cheers

Ian

Hi Pat,

How does your rubber corners attach to the corners of the hood panel ?

Cheers

Ian

They have a lip that surrounds the two outside edges and tabs that fit in the hole. You bend those over to retain the rubber corner.

The one who appears to be driving is actually pushing behind the car. You see his head through both the windshield opening and the back window. I thought we may as well get more than less pushers since none of us are getting any younger.:D

Edited by Landman
Added. (see edit history)