Reconstruction of a '34 Chevy Master Coupe

With regards to the floppy swivel on your rear view mirror, I have had good luck with first adjustingthe mirror to the desired position then applying a couple of drops of "Locktite" thread locker to the swivel. The negative is that if someone tries to readjust it or it gets bumped, it breaks free and more Locktite must be applied. The good is that nothing is permanent or damaged if a better solution comes along.

With regards to the floppy swivel on your rear view mirror, I have had good luck with first adjustingthe mirror to the desired position then applying a couple of drops of "Locktite" thread locker to the swivel. The negative is that if someone tries to readjust it or it gets bumped, it breaks free and more Locktite must be applied. The good is that nothing is permanent or damaged if a better solution comes along.

Thanks Fred,

I have since discovered that there is a small plate inside the mount that compresses the ball as the screws are tightened. I had it on with only one screw for the photo, so that was why it flopped around.

Found out that the Fisher Body plates I had redone in posting #465 have other colors than black. I got into some really tiny stuff with this. Now I have an inkling as to how Roger feels.

A friend sent me a photo of the correct license plate bracket. My rear one is correct but the front one has obviously been cobbled. Repainted the ones I have as well as the mirror. Will be on the lookout for the correct bracket.

I found that the clutch pedal was rubbing on one of the plates that surrounds the pedals and the steering column. Gave it the necessary clearance with a die grinder. The felt will pick up the slack.

post-59904-143139216569_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143139216572_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143139216591_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143139216594_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143139216596_thumb.jpg

Hi Pat ,

I just joined this forum shortly, i am amazed by the projects people start. This is a really great job... you do on that car .. To pick up a "wreck"out of the field! and turn it over into its original state . In one word! respect ! ... keep on posting!..

:)

Paul

Hi Pat ,

I just joined this forum shortly, i am amazed by the projects people start. This is a really great job... you do on that car .. To pick up a "wreck"out of the field! and turn it over into its original state . In one word! respect ! ... keep on posting!..

:)

Paul

Thanks Paul. It's a long ways from done. Plenty of postings to come yet! :cool:

Got the call from the body shop yesterday :"Bring the car!". So this morning , with the help of my neighbour, we pushed it along the sidewalk the 800 feet or so to his shop. Then removed the rods and regulator boards from the doors and took the stripped doors over.

post-59904-143139219079_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143139219082_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143139219084_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143139219086_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143139219089_thumb.jpg

Got the call from the body shop yesterday :"Bring the car!". So this morning , with the help of my neighbour, we pushed it along the sidewalk the 800 feet or so to his shop. Then removed the rods and regulator boards from the doors and took the stripped doors over.

I find this thread fascinating. In part because your photos show lots of construction and design details that Chevrolet used. My '33 Plymouth as an Budd "All Steel Body" so I am amazed by the amount of wood used in your car. I've read that sales men and dealers for Chrysler built cars complained about how tinny the doors on the cars they sold sounded compared to the GM competition. Chrysler engineering responded by saying that the all steel doors were stronger. Sales people came back with something to the effect of stronger or not, the competition's doors closed with a satisfying and strong sounding thunk which was perceived by the public of being better. Looking at all that wood framing and the "regulator board", I can see where that solid thunk sound comes from and bet it will have a much more solid sound than the doors on my car.

On the other hand, all my car's doors needed after all those decades was to have the locks and window regulators cleaned and lubricated, no structural repairs at all. :)

158712d1350499135-reconstruction-34-chevy-master-coupe-p1020831.jpg

You just know the car has gotta be thinking, "Sweet, out of that stupid field and on the road!!!"

I'm sure it is probably still in a little bit of shock because I'm sure it was firmly convinced it wasn't ever leaving that field. Might well be thinking it has already passed on to Heaven. :)

No work on the car as we were away. Saw some Hallowe'en decorations hoarder style, a Ford Consul and something for Mr. Feser. Also saw a nice, fairly recent Alfa Romeo roadster and a nice '68 Dodge monaco. It was raining too hard to get out and photograph them.

post-59904-143139230347_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143139230602_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143139230605_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143139230608_thumb.jpg

post-59904-14313923061_thumb.jpg

Pat, I am still watching and reading your blog. That is a pretty rare (in the USA) Unimog 401 Unimog agricultural tractor. Nice little guy with the frog like front headlights. Built to work in the field like a tractor and then turn around and take the product to the in town markets. Great concept, better yet, it worked.

Glad that the 34 is getting to the shop. You are making great progress. Keep after it.

Changed the base color of the dash & garnish moldings to be closer to what I have in mind . The color was suggested by Grain It technologies asfter looking at a sample.

Nice day out. took the Mustang for a ride. Stopped by the upholsterer to see if he had any ideas about the broken rear window zipper. He fixed it with a new slider in about 2 minutes. He also told me why I was having so much problem with it. You are supposed to unlatch the top to relieve the pressure on the zipper before you undo it. Why hadn't I thought of that? :mad:

post-59904-143139233562_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143139233564_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143139233566_thumb.jpg

Whipped out the woodgraining kit and had another run at the spare dash insert. Better than the first time but still not quite there. It took three tries to get the second pass. My roller is 3/4" too narrow to get it in one shot. Good thing you can wipe it off and start again.

post-59904-143139234425_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143139234427_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143139234429_thumb.jpg

Hi Pat ,

About the woodgraining

Can you tell me wich RAL number the first layer of the brown paint is ?

I suspect that the "black roller" on the table is the "woodmotif " tool ..

How many layers of clear coat goes over the motif ?

Wich brand is the set from?

thank you for your reply !

regards Paul

Visited the body shop again today. They're at the high-build primer stage. Starting to look good. I'm starting to lose sleep worrying about whether I have te skills to finish this without ruining the sauce.

If you can take a log out of a stream and produced finished furniture then you can dig a car out of the field and restore it to new. Just one step at a time till you don't got no steps left. :) I'm more worried that the painter messes your work up... it looks a little crowded in there.

Hi Pat,

I must say its looking good. I think that I make more mistakes being worried I might scratch something than if I just got on with it and didn't care. I was cutting a rivet off the other day ( a good 10 feet from the car ) and it took off and hit the car. First mistake !! I screwed the windscreen hinges in and had to lift the windscreen up to get the other screws in then I realised that when its wound out it won't go up 45 degrees....doh another small scratch !!

I think I've got to think ahead a bit more and it should be ok.

Look forward to seeing the colour go on.

Cheers

Ian

Pat,

I agree, I wouldn't be worried about not having the skills as you've already proved to us all that you for sure have them. I do though look at the shop setting and hope that when they are shooting primer/paint that they are covering those new tires that you had bought, not to mention the already great looking wheels. I would hate to see a great looking body and then see paint stains on the tires/wheels. We are all here waiting along with you for the color pictures to show up. Looks good, Scott...

Pat, I really like the progress. I especially like the woodgrain results pictured. I would have to believe that it's great to have a removable dash when performing that task, as my '31 Dodge DG dashboard in fixed in place not to mention a bunch of curves, but maybe they have some sort of tools to work around that. Your's is looking good though. Scott...

Hey Scott,

The main dash has all sorts of indentations too. The guy at Grainit thinks I can get in there by pressing hard on the roller. However, it has a tendency to slip & smear. It nice that the stuff around the shop is shinier and cleaner. I think I've eaten enough rust dust to last a lifetime.

Sweet!!! I'm trying to figure some reason that I need to be in Ontario so that I can check it out in person. I know you must be thrilled and you deserve to be amazingly proud. It still warms my heart to think of this resurrection job you've accomplished.

Does it look as good in person as it does from the photos?

It looks beautiful in the snow.

I hate to tell you that I played golf yesterday... in shorts... as it was 75. :)

Thanks guys, it has come a looong way, that's for sure.

Roger, yes I am satisfied and yes they used tons of sandpaper as you had predicted.

Keiser & Luv2Wrench, it looks good from up close too.

As for the snow, we're told this is a side effect of Sandy. It apparently created such a huge low pressure zone that it drew some arctic air down here. We are probably 1000 miles from the East Coast. It does snow in October here but doesn't stay until late November. I've driven my Mustang in November. Don't look like it'll happen this year.

Edited by Landman (see edit history)