Off to warm Mexico

Jim

I am going to be away from home starting Feb 15th and returning home Mar 4.

Mazatlan will be much nicer than the 13 degrees below zero we are having here now.

I am not sure at this point if my emails will work while I am there but I definitely will not be able to ship any parts for that two weeks.

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

Hey Jim, that sounds like an invitation to visit.

You can stay up late, talkin manly things and in the mornin Steve's makin wafflles! [Line from Shrek]

I will be in Playa de Carmen the 27th to the 3rd. Nice thing about Mexico is that you know it will be warm.

Of course seeing as I don't really sell car parts to most on the forum, my being gone has little effect on the used car part business...

Guest steveskyhawk

On this point I agree with Barney. The advice to not drink the water is NOT a joke. I drank the water in Mexico once and never will again. We were given hundreds of dollars in cash by the the management of our company for "gratuity" money. You pass it out like Halloween candy and it is never enough. My passport was stolen. Needless to say tourism is down in Mexico.

On the other side of the coin an extremely safe place to visit is the Cayman Islands. They drive on the left side of the road so hang on. Cab ride is more exciting than Six Flags.

Each year we go to Mazatlan which is far enough in from the border to be relatively safe. We do not stay in the Gold Zone ( hotels and resorts area ) but in the old historic end of Mazatlan. We either rent house or last year we did some house sitting for some folks who were going to be in the US for a few weeks.

I feel completely safe as we mingle with the "locals". We eat in their local restaurants and sometimes at the street vendors. We have never had a problem with the water from the restaurants or the street vendors as they all use water from these big 5 or 10 gallon jugs. I have a friend here who has been going there for at least 20 years and recently built a small house in the old end of town and he is the one who introduced us to that part of town and the local restaurants and street food vendors. In 20 years he has never been sick.

I would not drink the tap water and actually everyday we go to the market downtown and buy fresh produce and when we bring in home we soak it for a few minutes in a water based solution of disinfectant or bleach.

Another way I keep from getting sick from the water is to drink beer.:) Bottles of Pacifico in the Gold Zone are about what you would pay here but in the old end of town Pacifico is about 80 cents per bottle. Steak and shrimp in the Gold Zone are prices like here but in our end the same meal is about $ 6.

California does have some warm weather but last year on my trip home I had to change planes in LA. We flew for a long time over southern CA and all I saw from the plane was miles and miles of smog covered mass humanity.

Guest Greg Ross

And then there's the British Virgin Islands, daytime low 90s'/ night-time low 70s' and a constant seabreeze.

I enjoy my other BCA (Blue Water Cruising Assoc) interest, we're chartering a 42' boat and get lost for 10 days.

Guest Richard D

Jim, Come to Miami, You can use the 210 IFR equipped (rent a raft) and hit the Bahamas, Keys, Grand Lucya, and many others. 15 gallons per hour at about 175 MPH. I never use it enough to justify keeping it.

CHEERS

Richard

Jim, Come to Miami, You can use the 210 IFR equipped (rent a raft) and hit the Bahamas, Keys, Grand Lucya, and many others. 15 gallons per hour at about 175 MPH. I never use it enough to justify keeping it.

CHEERS

Richard

Richard,

Sounds like an offer I cannot refuse but unfortunately I am only SEL VFR rated.

Jim

Guest steveskyhawk

Jim,

ASEL PP license with a Complex and High Performance endorsements is all you would need for that 210. Limitation would be insurance minimums. Shouldn't be hard to pick a day that is free of cloud.

Dave,

175 sounds fast. A fast plane drains you wallet faster than a slower one. People with lots of money compare their aircraft to their buddies airplane and instead of MPH they talk % of mach and who has the better bathroom.

Guest steveskyhawk

To attempt to answer Padgett's question. With an airplane, cost is an exponential function of speed. The fuel savings in this case is negligible compared with the increased cost of insurance and maintenance. Bear in mind that retractable landing gear has a weight penalty. But it is always cool to go fast. Retractable gear is a safety advantage when flying over water also. In the unlikely event that a ditching is necessary opting to have the landing gear up makes for a more survivable water landing. Sullenberger didn't have the gear down when he landed the Airbus on the Hudson.

Guest Richard D

Hey Jim, Don't tell anyone else on the forum but since getting my private's in 1973 I have put getting my IFR on a round tuit basis. Well what can I say, almost forty years later and I am still a fair weather pilot. There were a few times I was looking for a hole, any hole. But now that I am older and not indestructible I take an IFR pilot with me. It's more fun and usually I am trying to find a place where the hurricane is NOT heading.

ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY!!!

The best place to find a nice car is in places with moderate temperatures and little sunlight such as the pacific northwest. Southern coasts eat rubber and plastic. Southwest eats interiors and paint. Cold weather states have salt issues. Storing indoors is the best preservative of all.

Guest Richard D
Is a trade, retractable insurance is more than fixed but retractable goes further on a gallon. What year is the Centurion ?

It is a 1960 with the wing struts and only 4 seats. IO-470, no, I never had any gear problems. New paint and interior about 6 years ago, annual done last August. Kept in a hanger with Skylark.

It is a 1960 with the wing struts and only 4 seats. IO-470, no, I never had any gear problems.

Knock on wood. My dad had a 210 back in the '60s and had lots of gear problems. It was too small for a growing family, and the safety of a twin appealed to him. So he traded up to a Twin Commanche and then a 310. (And later had a few others...)

New paint and interior about 6 years ago, annual done last August. Kept in a hanger with Skylark.

Sounds nice!

Interesting how Reattas seem to appeal to private pilots...