alsancle

PreWar Mercedes Benz

On 8/12/2019 at 4:08 AM, alsancle said:

I would be surprised if they were in business before the war selling MB,  but it is always good to learn something new.   Mitropa was selling to the west coast (although not a lot of cars) so it would be odd that someone from LA would  buy in NY when there was a dealer right down the street.  

I have Google working again, (actually was all along, I just didn't know where to find it after the new IOS was incorporated), and you are quite correct. W.I. Simonson did begin in 1937, but as a Packard dealership. Started importing Mercedes-Benz in 1957. As you say, always good to learn something new. Any pre-third reich M-B at The Beach this year ?    -   Carl 

There is a very snazzy fleet wood bodied S that was restored by Steve Babinsky. I don’t have any pictures yet.  

There is a neat 200 roadster which I also need pictures of.

908AE7D1-10A3-4D74-B10D-1439CC8AB904.jpeg

6009A7D4-81F0-48CE-8B41-FBBE98FC88C6.jpeg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Fleetwood on that K with polished hood and cowl?

Yes.

10 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Here are some more of the 320 Combi coupe from the Classic center.

Know one for sale in Europe 

IMG-20190724-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20190724-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20190724-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20190730-WA0003.jpg

2 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Is it real?

I thought I did send you photos 

The Topper Mercedes from ICMB  1941 Movie "Topper Returns".    Also, from this weekend.

TopperMercedes.jpg

IMG_5955.JPG

• Like 1

15 hours ago, alsancle said:

The Topper Mercedes from ICMB  1941 Movie "Topper Returns".    Also, from this weekend.

This is Cabrio B? 

Special Roadster in the past  accepted as modified in Southern California but currently attributed to Erdmann and Rossi.

On 8/5/2019 at 12:13 PM, 540K said:

Only two 500 K / 540 K up for sale in Monterey this year, both at Gooding. A gorgeous Cab C, and an ugly Cab A. I cannot recall seeing a worse paint color than what is on the Cab A. It looks like gray primer. Maybe it looks better in person. On the other hand, best color on the Cab C. As they sit, I'd take the Cab C. With a repaint I'd take the Cab A of course.

poster.jpg?1 poster.jpg?1

And here I thought you were suggesting the burgundy one was the ugly one. The burgundy car's top looks awkward, plus it has sidemounts, chrome wire wheels which never seem quite right on these cars. Personally I like the gray one considerably more, if only for the line of the top and lack of sidemounts. I don't even mind the color, although the finish seems to have lost its shine. That could probably be improved, though.

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Personally I like the gray one considerably more, if only for the line of the top 

Matt. There is a reason the gray Cab A is worth twice as much as the maroon C, even when it would take 600k or more to get it in the same shape.

FYI, the gray car was a side mount model originally and the spare was moved to the trunk in the 60s.

I looked both cars over very close. The Cab A was not as bad in person as far as color. It was a very used car. Looked decent, but will require a bunch of money to get sorted. The Cab C looked as good as any 500/540 I have ever seen. People were complaining about the market.......there were so many cars, extended days for many auctions, and many duplicates of the same car, all with very high expectations................after all the fog cleared, I think the results were average over the pas t five years or so. Seems everyone expects the market to jump ten percent every year.

The color on the Cab A was polarizing.   I'm with Ed in that I liked it.   But I have some buddies that thought it looked like primer.   Considering the discount for RHD,  it sold for about the same as the Red Cab A at Bonhams a few years ago in similar shape.

IMG_5892.JPG

IMG_5897.JPG

This small series 1939 Mercedes was at a local show today.  Owner claimed it was in Norway during WW II and was used by the Luftwaffe.  

IMG_4819.JPG

IMG_4817.JPG

1 minute ago, K8096 said:

This small series 1939 Mercedes was at a local show today.  Owner claimed it was in Norway during WW II and was used by the Luftwaffe. 

He needs to find a clock.