alsancle

PreWar Mercedes Benz

6 hours ago, 540K said:

Someone told me these aren't correct, that the originals were more flat  on the top rather than ball-shaped.

None of the 500k's had an engraved knob to my knowledge in any event.   If you google up the James Melton car, RM has pictures of the shift knob.   Put your original knob in the glove box!

John,  great period photo of a 380!  What is the flag in the left front fender?

On 4/30/2019 at 8:06 PM, alsancle said:

John,  great period photo of a 380!  What is the flag in the left front fender?

Take a good look at that flag, I am sure you know what that is - just not sure what the protocol was for who would be displaying one. 

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

Take a good look at that flag, I am sure you know what that is - just not sure what the protocol was for who would be displaying one. 

435232_original.jpg

Posted (edited)

The car at the side of the Mercedes sure looks like it has a Murphy body on it -- very similar to the one on my Duesenberg. Dual-cowl with split vee-windshield in the rear.

1932 Duesenberg - Bartlett.JPG

Edited by jrbartlett (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jrbartlett said:

The car at the side of the Mercedes sure looks like it has a Murphy body on it -- very similar to the one on my Duesenberg. Dual-cowl with split vee-windshield in the rear.

Im thinking AL Minerva. And agreed on Murphy body.

Posted (edited)

You can see a photo of the car when new on the coachbuild website. Just look up Murphy on Minerva.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

No wheel disks, wonder if they built two of them, or if the new owner took them off.

15 hours ago, Davlet said:

Hace u guys seen???

Hey Dav,

I think we talked about this one or the special roadster a few pages back.   My thoughts are 1)  Well done.   2) you are 5% of the way to a complete car.

Only two 500 K / 540 K up for sale in Monterey this year, both at Gooding. A gorgeous Cab C, and an ugly Cab A. I cannot recall seeing a worse paint color than what is on the Cab A. It looks like gray primer. Maybe it looks better in person. On the other hand, best color on the Cab C. As they sit, I'd take the Cab C. With a repaint I'd take the Cab A of course.

poster.jpg?1 poster.jpg?1

• Like 1

Looks like cab a owner was trying to make look like military from WWII colors 

I have played around with the Cab C. It’s is the  best Mercedes I have ever worked on. Well sorted, (yup, I helped out), starts, drives, shifts, steers, and stops great. Almost no one will spend the money to sort these cars out..........And I can tell you straight away, this is the best there is. No excuses, history from new, always cherished, and lovingly maintained by the current owner, who has had a 500/540 in the garage since he was born.........simply none better. Ed

The two cars are dimensionally identical and practically mechanically identical.   The hoods would interchange,  but the low raked windshield and lower roofline makes quite a  difference on the Cab A.   That is why a RHD Cab A that probably needs 700-800 worth of restoration to be the same as the Cab C would be worth twice as much money.

The 5 speed is rare on the Cab A,  and having the original engine in such a late car is even rarer.   Would be interesting to drive to see how it compares with the 4 speed that was in 90% of the cars.

Posted (edited)

Dav,   you know th Cab C was a US delivery car.  No war time action for that one.   I think the gray faded in the last 50 years on the A, it might have looked better in 1965.

Craig,   there is no such thing as an ugly Cab A.   It needs the sidemounts put back,  but to paraphrase a more  famous saying:  " I wouldn't throw the Cab A out of my garage".

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

42 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Craig,   there is no such thing as an ugly Cab A.   

Yeah, that's what I thought until I saw this one. I think the only way it could be worse is to add lime green polka dots and whitewalls. As is, I'd still take the Cab C regardless of value, because I'd rather see that in my garage every day.