alsancle

PreWar Mercedes Benz

Recommended Posts

Amelia is featuring MB this year.   I know Mr 540K handle is going,  Fast Ed Minnie, along with Henry Magno.  Anybody else?  Somebody needs to take a bunch of pictures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mercedes class at Amelia had 5 500/540k cars.  Hopefully somebody did a better job of taking pictures than I did.

IMG_5344.jpg

IMG_5340.jpg

IMG_5336.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Best in Show at Amelia was a 540K.   Car was purchased from original family in Spain,  restored by Paul Russell.  Really special car.   "Almost" overshadowed the special roadsters.

 

2019-Amelia-Concours-Best-in-Show-024A-D

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Von Krieger roadster looks so much better now that it doesn't have whitewalls. They're going to change the orange interior next, which will also be an improvement.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know an owner of the touring one might post some photos if he will let me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

Is it K-model gearbox?

 

 

kast-xx.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 7:18 PM, 540K said:

Von Krieger roadster looks so much better now that it doesn't have whitewalls. They're going to change the orange interior next, which will also be an improvement.

 

First restoration wasn't great in terms of colors but things are getting better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do admit that I found the colour scheme stunning that they did in the resto! A real knock out in a positive way. Black or dark blue may be the original colours but it looks very subdued and nowadays black seems to be the new bright red for these cars.

Von_Krieger_Special-Roadster.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tilomagnet said:

I do admit that I found the colour scheme stunning that they did in the resto! A real knock out in a positive way. Black or dark blue may be the original colours but it looks very subdued and nowadays black seems to be the new bright red for these cars.

 

I'm probably over reacting to the chrome wires with white walls.  I just remember being disappointed when I saw the restored car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the point painting cars to other newer colors? make it all shine? why cant people use original colors? and original paint? I thought restoration meaning restoring to original condition....

but this all new paint technology makes cars looks like newer cars with slower engine... sorry that my personal opinion. .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black, white, bright red, or silver paint, black or gray interiors -  all boring. Give me some damn color! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  If you look at modern cars,  Black, Silver, White, Gray account for 90% of what you see.   In 1929,  it was Brown and  Black, in the 80s it was Red.   Tastes change with time, like the flavor of the month.  Which makes me feel the cars should be restored to their original colors.  Of course, I had a documented factory red 1931 car that I could not make myself paint red...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Place where i would love to be but....

Anyone is going by chance? 

 

20190412_010125.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone,
I appeal to you, hoping that you may be able to help me. In May 1945, General Leclerc's 2nd Armored Division seized two Mercedes typ 770 Grosser w150s from Hitler's fleet. One was a Tourenwagen Offener, today in the Musée Henri Malartre, located in Rochetaillée sur Saône, near Lyon.
The second one, for which I am calling on you, is a Pullman Limousine registered IA-148696 (for which a false number was subsequently painted: Z96501).
When this car was presented to General Leclerc, the latter decided to bring it to General de Gaulle as a gift. De Gaulle did not want it and sent it to the Army Museum in Paris. The museum entrusted it to a fighting solidarity association called "VICTOIRE" which showed it in France, Belgium and Holland in order to raise funds for war orphans.
In 1948, the car was sent to the US to be presented to the public, but did not return to France. It was sold and for thirty years no one has seen this car again. A certain Austin Weiss showed phtos, claiming, two or three years ago, to have restored it.
In a year, we will celebrate the 75th anniversary of the end of the war, and we would love to see this car again. Does any of you know anything about this?
thank you in advance
My contact address: jeanluc.auriac@gmail.com

110306491_o.jpg

110306595_o.jpg

110412894.jpg

1636467897535893126-hitler-car.jpg

hitler-mercedes-513aad2.jpg

53194152_415250189244215_879129210776453120_n.jpg

53563794_415250082577559_5910875292884271104_n.jpg

mev-10586658.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2011 at 9:03 AM, Dave Mitchell said:

That was Turkish Prime Minister Ismet Inonu state car

 

 

A 770 limo at the Gooding auction 2010

post-30705-14313843728_thumb.jpg

post-30705-143138437283_thumb.jpg

post-30705-143138437288_thumb.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2019 at 7:56 AM, alsancle said:

 

I'm probably over reacting to the chrome wires with white walls.  I just remember being disappointed when I saw the restored car.

I think  many early photos of it showed it was running on Firestone whitewalls (and had a set on it when "found" too).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

I think  many early photos of it showed it was running on Firestone whitewalls (and had a set on it when "found" too).

 

Many cars were defiled with white walls early in their lives but  95% of all Daimler Benz were delivered with blackwalls and every Special Roadster that I can think of.  Here is an early picture of the von Kreiger car (from Pinterest saved by Daniel Gerson)

 

image.png.de25d26868ad8bce95ab8ae3651c49ea.png

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, alsancle said:

 

Many cars were defiled with white walls early in their lives but  95% of all Daimler Benz were delivered with blackwalls and every Special Roadster that I can think of.  Here is an early picture of the von Kreiger car (from Pinterest saved by Daniel Gerson)

 

image.png.de25d26868ad8bce95ab8ae3651c49ea.png

 

 

Great Photo  !

 

Siednote: I wonder if given size there were no "high quality" tires available in US in anything other than a whitewall. 

 

Anyway, I liked the double whitewalls as they were a little something different, but it certainly looks better with its current blackwalls.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 10:21 AM, jeanluc81 said:

Turkish Prime Minster Car

 

 

I think that car failed to sell somewhere around 1.5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 6:08 PM, jeanluc81 said:

Hello everyone,
I appeal to you, hoping that you may be able to help me. In May 1945, General Leclerc's 2nd Armored Division seized two Mercedes typ 770 Grosser w150s from Hitler's fleet. One was a Tourenwagen Offener, today in the Musée Henri Malartre, located in Rochetaillée sur Saône, near Lyon.
The second one, for which I am calling on you, is a Pullman Limousine registered IA-148696 (for which a false number was subsequently painted: Z96501).
When this car was presented to General Leclerc, the latter decided to bring it to General de Gaulle as a gift. De Gaulle did not want it and sent it to the Army Museum in Paris. The museum entrusted it to a fighting solidarity association called "VICTOIRE" which showed it in France, Belgium and Holland in order to raise funds for war orphans.
In 1948, the car was sent to the US to be presented to the public, but did not return to France. It was sold and for thirty years no one has seen this car again. A certain Austin Weiss showed phtos, claiming, two or three years ago, to have restored it.
In a year, we will celebrate the 75th anniversary of the end of the war, and we would love to see this car again. Does any of you know anything about this?
thank you in advance
My contact address: jeanluc.auriac@gmail.com

110306491_o.jpg

110306595_o.jpg

110412894.jpg

1636467897535893126-hitler-car.jpg

hitler-mercedes-513aad2.jpg

53194152_415250189244215_879129210776453120_n.jpg

53563794_415250082577559_5910875292884271104_n.jpg

mev-10586658.jpg

 

In 2012/2013, a named Austin Weiss, from The Garage Inc in Florida, pretended restorate the car, but he don't give any information...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUnT2Va1sEk

 

92095212e26c11e194471231380ff9db_71.jpg

AphEcDgCAAE4TsS.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2019 at 12:03 PM, alsancle said:

Rolf Wagner is selling shift knobs with the pattern engraved.   Definitely a good idea for any of the 4 speed 500k/540k cars.  I think all the 5 speed cars already have engraved knobs.

IMG_5299(1).jpg

Someone told me these aren't correct, that the originals were more flat  on the top rather than ball-shaped. I know the shape he's talking about but haven't seen anyone making those.

Edited by 540K (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now