PreWar Mercedes Benz

alsancle

On 12/29/2018 at 7:09 AM, MB Streamliner said:

Looking for MB 540K CHASSIS & ENGINE with GEARBOX in any condition. Offers in PM

1938-mercedes-benz-540k-cabriolet-26.jpg

Good luck. I haven't seen such for sale in over six years except buckets of bolts or reproduction parts. The one sold in 2012 in Europe had MANY missing and mismatched parts. I assume you want to build a special roadster. Be prepared to spend at least a million  $ for a quality car. But don't buy a cabriolet and throw away the body! Sacrilege!

1 hour ago, 540K said:

Good luck. I haven't seen such for sale in over six years except buckets of bolts or reproduction parts. The one sold in 2012 in Europe had MANY missing and mismatched parts. I assume you want to build a special roadster. Be prepared to spend at least a million  $ for a quality car. But don't buy a cabriolet and throw away the body! Sacrilege!

I have body and Chassis Cabrio A - I need Engine only. 

Craig seems to be spending too much time polishing his car and not enough time posting links to current prewar MB for sale.   This is the former Lassiter Mayfair back for sale in a much better Green than the Red it was for many years. https://www.prewarcar.com/281255-bonhams-the-scottsdale-auction-2019-1934-mercedes-benz-500k-four-passenger-tourer

image.thumb.png.05911c0d0ffa911b5ab5b3cee420439a.png

On 1/9/2019 at 7:12 AM, alsancle said:

Craig seems to be spending too much time polishing his car and not enough time posting links to current prewar MB for sale.   This is the former Lassiter Mayfair back for sale in a much better Green than the Red it was for many years. https://www.prewarcar.com/281255-bonhams-the-scottsdale-auction-2019-1934-mercedes-benz-500k-four-passenger-tourer

Hey! I posted this auction on November 11. You even commented on it.

• Like 1

While I'm at it, alsancle, these are coming up at RM Essen:

1931 370 S Mannheim

1937 540 K Cab A RHD, offered nine years ago for ~$2,000,000

It will be interesting to see how they do since the auction is mostly mid-level cars from the 1980's forward.

rm.jpg

King of Jordan's 540 K Cab A going up at Bonham's Paris sale, Feb 7.

It amazes me that most of the major auction houses refer to the dash on these cars as if it is made from real mother-of-pearl. In this case Bonham's says the car "retains its original inlaid mother-of-pearl detailing."  Total bullsh!t. These cars never had real or inlaid mother-of-pearl.  They are plastic just like what covers musical drum kits. That's why they discolor over time. Real mother-of-pearl does not grow into a single piece as large as the dash on these cars, and if it were inlaid it wouldn't look like this. Look at any photo of the dash of these cars -- that is clearly all one piece. Mother-of-pearl is made from the inner lining of different mollusk shells, and getting a flat piece larger than a very few inches is not possible. I discussed having a real mother-of-pearl dash made for a car, and the experts told me not to do it because it would not look good piecing dozens of slices together for something that large. It is primarily used for small, intricate detail on musical instruments, jewelry and fine furniture, not large flat things like a dashboard in a car.

So if you work for anyone who deals in these cars, tell them they did not come from the factory with mother-of-pearl. Sure, it's possible someone could make one, but I've never seen real mother-of-pearl on any 500 K or 540 K dash. If you have, I'm happy to be corrected and would like to see a photo of it.

As a humorous note, these large plastic sheets of faux mother-of-pearl are often used to make electric guitar pickguards ("scratch plates" outside the US). Because it is plastic made to look like mother-or-pearl, it is often referred to as mother-of-toilet-seat, or MOTS.

image.jpg

download.png

Edited by 540K (see edit history)

9 hours ago, alsancle said:

Isn't that car pictured in Melin?

If it is, I do not believe it is referred to by chassis number. You have a better memory for who owned cars than I do. Until recently I haven't really cared who owned a car, but it is very useful for distinguishing one black 540 K  Cab A from another black 540 K Cab A. I don't have a knack for remembering owners' names unless it is someone known for some other reason - like Jack Warner's Special Roadster, or Gary Cooper's Duesenberg. 

On 1/18/2019 at 8:23 PM, 540K said:

Artcurial will offer an early 540 K in Paris sale, original interior and top, rebuilt engine and respray in the 60's. This would be very nice for preservation.

Artcurial 01.jpg

It is listed as 500K ... also the blower looks for me as 500K.

10 minutes ago, Dad said:

It is listed as 500K ... also the blower looks for me as 500K.

500 refers to 5-liter engine. According to Artcurial, this car never had a 5-liter engine. It was 5.4-liter from new, therefore t is not correct to call it a 500 K.  A 500 K was ordered, but a 540 K was delivered. Early 540 K's shared much with late 500 K's, including louvered hood; the main difference was the engine. DBAG made small changes throughout 1935-1937, and the changes did not necessarily correlate to a specific year or 500/540 designation.

Edited by 540K (see edit history)

1 minute ago, 540K said:

500 refers to 5-liter engine. According to Artcurial, this car never had a 5-liter engine. It was 5.4-liter from new, therefore t is not correct to call it a 500 K.  A 500 K was ordered, but a 540 K was delivered. Early 540 K's shared much with late 500 K's, including louvered hood; the only difference was the engine.

But the blower is from 500k ... and that's little strange ... for be sure we just need to remove the valve cover :D

• Haha 1

On 1/19/2019 at 8:56 AM, alsancle said:

That is funny.  I can't remember what I had for breakfast today.

Well I sure hope you remember it's your turn to buy dinner tomorrow night! After all you did get a FANTASTIC Christmas present! 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 540K said:

Sold for $1,793,928. I don't remember what the pre-sale estimate was. 

1. Conversion from RHD to LHD.

2.  Swapped engine.

3.  Swapped 5 speed for a 4 speed (pedals are integral with transmission)

4.  Missing original data plate

A few more issues I'm not thinking of right now.   Probably just about right all things considered.

51 minutes ago, alsancle said:

1. Conversion from RHD to LHD.

2.  Swapped engine.

3.  Swapped 5 speed for a 4 speed (pedals are integral with transmission)

4.  Missing original data plate

A few more issues I'm not thinking of right now.   Probably just about right all things considered.

After all those facts. Car was sold for pretty good price )))

Edited by Davlet (see edit history)

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 3:45 PM, alsancle said:

RM is selling 154078.  Originally delivered in England and originally RHD.   Somebody have the "discovery" pictures that were floating around the internet way back when?

Either them, or the link to them is within the 73 pages of this thread, as I recall.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...