alsancle

PreWar Mercedes Benz

A few photos of the Blue Goose at Indy last weekend. You can see where it was shot with a .45 in the left front fender and left door glass. Also the roll up rear armor is pretty interesting as well as the louvered armor under the car. The driver's seat is thinner to accomodate the girth of the original owner. The bulletproof glass and higher windshield doesn't look as sporty as the delicate original design, but it does set this car apart.

post-30705-143138546288_thumb.jpg

post-30705-143138546292_thumb.jpg

post-30705-143138546297_thumb.jpg

post-30705-143138546301_thumb.jpg

post-30705-143138546306_thumb.jpg

post-30705-14313854631_thumb.jpg

post-30705-143138546314_thumb.jpg

post-30705-143138546318_thumb.jpg

post-30705-143138546322_thumb.jpg

post-30705-143138546326_thumb.jpg

Another Special Roadster at Indy

Was this the Baroness's car? The restoration is very well done but I liked it before it was restored too.

The von Krieger Special Roadster is finished in grey with red leather, that's a different car. I think the Manns' 540 K spend some time in South America and is only one of two known cars with the covered spare in the back. It was BOS at Amelia in 2010, but had been shown by them at PB several years earlier already as well.

For some reason I recalled it a silver. The "jack Warner" car also has the covered spare - is that the other one?

Looking at Jan's books, I would say that the change to the covered spare was in 1937, the Berlin show car has it as well as other cars. I don't know how many survive, but there were more than 2 built. I know that with MBs there are no hard and fast rules, but it seems like most were covered after 36.

Dave, I know the 2nd variation of the 540k Special roadster all had the covered spare. This would be the ones without the set back radiator. I'm not sure of the numbers on the earlier 500/540k long tail models. As a side note, my uncle Ted Billing briefly owned one of these later models in the 1960s. He had paid 6k dollars for it from a dealer in NY. My dad had bought his Cab A at the same time from the same dealer for 5500. Ted's car was mechanically in need and he had a tough time keeping it running. After a month he decided to return it to the dealer but first offered it to my dad. Since my dad's car was a very nice 20k original mile car so he decided to keep his and Ted brought the special roadster back.

RM AUCTIONS

This year's Monterrey auction is gonna be interesting for MB guys.... the 540K Paris show Special Coupe (one of two built I think), the one-off 1939 Horn Special Roadster, the 1935 Berlin show short tail Special Roadster, another 540 K A Cab with the earlier 500K style body and last but not least 154140 long tail Special Roadster from the Mann collection are up for auction.

IMO the $ 3-4 mio. estimates for the late one off Special and the Paris show coupe could be realistic, though I think the Special Roadster should actually be the higher valued of the two, as apart from the striking unique coachwork it does have a much more interesting history and despite being brought to the SU after the war it made it out in relatively good condition and seems to have retained all it's major original parts.

I think the $ 4-5 MM estimate on the short tail 1935 Special is too high....they had a lot of trouble moving this car at $ 2 MM a couple years back already. Without the set-back radiator this is obviously the least desireable SR, there are still quite a few of these around and this example - while there's not doubt that it's an original - lost it's original engine sometime in the last 75 years. Plus there's obviously stiff competition here, anyone with a couple millions to spend on a 540 K will probably go for the long tail.

By the way, even as of the Amelia Island appearance of 154140 last year the the story of Eichmann using this car was still beng told. Because obviously for a fugitive it makes totally sense to drive around in one of the most flamboyant cars ever created. :D

On the RM page there is a believeable history of the car given, not sure how accurate it really is, I've only known of this car when it came to Germany in the late '90ies when a well known vintage car dealer started a restoration.

RM AUCTIONS

This year's Monterrey auction is gonna be interesting for MB guys.... the 540K Paris show Special Coupe (one of two built I think)...

Several years ago I heard rumors of a third coupe. I think it was located in Michigan.

would be great if true, the one known sister car of the Paris coupe is s/n 130942, which is pretty much identical except it's RHD. It was painted a dark blue on the most recent photos I have seen of it.

I think the short tail sold for around 2.5 but wasn't that 2002? As for the set back radiator, I'm not sure how much that will hurt the price. The prices have gone up quite a bit since then. Interesting to have 4 cars like that at one auction. The Stalin car certainly has the history and the "one-off-ness" going for it but is not quite as attractive as the other 3. I would guess the long tail car will bring the most but very hard to tell.

Several years ago I heard rumors of a third coupe. I think it was located in Michigan.

I talked to the owner some years ago and the car is there, but hasn't been seen for years, nor since I talked to him.

I think the short tail sold for around 2.5 but wasn't that 2002? As for the set back radiator, I'm not sure how much that will hurt the price. The prices have gone up quite a bit since then. Interesting to have 4 cars like that at one auction. The Stalin car certainly has the history and the "one-off-ness" going for it but is not quite as attractive as the other 3. I would guess the long tail car will bring the most but very hard to tell.

'02 for the Short tail auction could be correct, I think it was RM at Amelia and the car had been offered prior to that and didn't sell. Prices sure are always going up for these type of cars, but I still don't think it will bring those estimated figures, it might do if it was the only genuine SR on the market in a long time, but not with the other cars present IMO.

As for the long tail the last one at a public sale was Ecclestone's 540K and that brought $ 8.1, I don't think 154140 will go for less.

posted over on the HAMB:

a3.jpg

To answer my own question about this car.....I think it is 154075, listed on page 244 of Melin Vol II among the surviving cars. Also according to Melin delivered new to the King of Afghanistan. Apparently in the '60ies it was in Florida in the Silver Springs car collection.

Anyone know the current whereabouts of this Roadster? I found various recent references to said collection, so apparently it still exists, but is the Merc still there? Anyone?

On another note, I'm trying to gather information on this particular 1933 SS, which supposedly at one time was owned by German showman/producer Willy Forst. The most recent time I saw it was on a TV show featuring a classic car meet in Salzburg. Does anyone know about this car? The Mercedes Classics Center could only find basic specifications. One particular question is the unusual manifold design, which appears to have 3 rather than the typical 2 ducts. I'd love to find some shots of the other side of the engine.

I am grateful to Boris and Rainer Schlegelmich for allowing members of their site to share their fine photography with others, and for answering my request to add a number of shots to the gallery of this car. There are several other galleries of prewar Mercedes on the site.

Welcome to Schlegelmilch Photography

33SSLEFTSIDE.png

33SSengine2.png

33SSengine1.png

Edited by Skip Jordan (see edit history)

On another note, I'm trying to gather information on this particular 1933 SS, which supposedly at one time was owned by German showman/producer Willy Forst. The most recent time I saw it was on a TV show featuring a classic car meet in Salzburg. Does anyone know about this car? The Mercedes Classics Center could only find basic specifications. One particular question is the unusual manifold design, which appears to have 3 rather than the typical 2 ducts. I'd love to find some shots of the other side of the engine.

I am grateful to Boris and Rainer Schlegelmich for allowing members of their site to share their fine photography with others, and for answering my request to add a number of shots to the gallery of this car. There are several other galleries of prewar Mercedes on the site.

Welcome to Schlegelmilch Photography

It looks remarkably like the SS that Paul Russell had for sale (I believe 2.5 million was the asking price) back around 2002.

Speaking of the Caracciola 500K coupe, does anyone know the truth about the interior/exterior colors? Can't find any color pictures anywhere.

Exterior: Medium or dark maroon?

Interior: Wood trim on the dash top like the 504K Spezial coupe or leather?

Steering wheel: White, black, wood or leather wrapped?

Any help will be appreciated.

35mercedes500karchivecopy.jpg

Isn't the interior pictured in Melin vol I ? I don't have copy close by to look. If those bumpers are white then the steering wheel is white also.

Isn't the interior pictured in Melin vol I ? I don't have copy close by to look. If those bumpers are white then the steering wheel is white also.

I don't have the Melin book, but I know that the bumpers on the 500K Spezial Coupe are completely chrome, while the bumpers on the 540K have white inserts, and the 540K's steering wheel is wrapped in light tan leather as shown in the RM Auctions listing linked in my post above.

here's a short video posted on RM's website containing a few shots of 154140 probably shortly after delivery:

Videos Posted by RM Auctions: 1937 Mercedes-Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster - Monterey 2011 [HQ] | Facebook

These are to date the only images I've seen of a SR originally delivered in a two tone scheme. It seems likely that the photo on page 164 of Melin II is of this car still on German plates probably shortly before being shipped overseas.

here's a short video posted on RM's website containing a few shots of 154140 probably shortly after delivery:

Videos Posted by RM Auctions: 1937 Mercedes-Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster - Monterey 2011 [HQ] | Facebook

These are to date the only images I've seen of a SR originally delivered in a two tone scheme. It seems likely that the photo on page 164 of Melin II is of this car still on German plates probably shortly before being shipped overseas.

I'm a bit confused because I thought the Spezial Roadsters all had low-slung door tops without roll-up windows, and this appears to be a Cabriolet A with the high-top doors. Interesting, though, that the video takes place in the postwar Nazi haven of Argentina.

EDIT: Okay, I stand corrected based on further research. Door shape doesn't matter.