Front axle?

• 2 weeks later...

l_b7630a9f2ba34ec0b709c3453c339d95.jpg

Here are a few of the parts that I have for the axle, From What i have seen/ read in the history of my car it is from a model A dusenberg. I have the rest of the axle but not in a convenient place for pictures.

From the pieces shown I am asking...

1: is it from a model A?

2" is the bar on the left part of it? (steering linkage?)

3: considering the last time it was touched was in the 30's 40's, what condition would it be considered to be in?

l_b7630a9f2ba34ec0b709c3453c339d95.jpg

Here are a few of the parts that I have for the axle, From What i have seen/ read in the history of my car it is from a model A dusenberg. I have the rest of the axle but not in a convenient place for pictures.

From the pieces shown I am asking...

1: is it from a model A?

2" is the bar on the left part of it? (steering linkage?)

3: considering the last time it was touched was in the 30's 40's, what condition would it be considered to be in?

Don't know if it's Duesenberg, but the bar on the left is the drag link that goes from the pitman arm on the steering box to the ball on the axle linkage on the right.

Likely to be 1922 if you want a year. My 1922 car has cast aluminium brke drums, but about 180 numbers later they were skeletonised cast iron. That would be 1923. I am missing some parts if no-one else has genuine need. I am not a dealer.

The double mounting points of the steering arm to the stub axle probably originate due to awareness of steering arm breakages of a couple of other makes of car in the Indianapolis 500 prior to that. This design would not have the same point to potentially fail. I regard the A Duesenberg as at least as well designed and built as any other passenger car built anywhere during the first part of the 1920's.

that large bent section is a tie-rod.

not an axle.notice no place to attach spindles.

Lol! Thanks for the info. :) I may not be a stellar mechanic but can spot an axle when I see one. ;). The actual axle is in storage and I have no pictures to post of it. The parts in the pic are those I have here at the house.

Thanks to all for telling me where the tierod/ draglink is and where it goes. Is there any way to tell if it goes to the duesey axle for certain?

Extra thanks to Ivan for the identifying feature of the drums, I will have to look into that. If memory serves they looked like solid cast with no finns I presume that to be what you mean by skellitonized. I can also lift the assembly with one arm and that makes me think they are probably aluminum not steel. I'll check to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering selling the axle once I get it all in one place and can take some good pictures. Are there any ACD clubs in the Connecticut area that I could get in contact with. I would like to show the piece to a deusy pro so I can get an oppinion on what to list it as (year/ likely model and an honest appraisal of condition/ pieces missing). I Have talked to classic+exotic about it and got a ballpark price to hold out for but I don't want to put it on e-bay until I can answer buyer questions.:o

Here's a shot showing the drum and hubcap (other side is same I promise)

l.jpg

Sorry for the cell phone pic but it's all I've got for now. doue this look like skeletonized cast iron or aluminum?

the hubcap has the deusey bird with the words straight eight on it. does that help with year?

• 2 weeks later...

All the parts are here! and then some:D

First the axle (not a tie rod, note the brake drums:p) which has cast iron drums on each end, so I guess from what Ivan said it is a 1923 or later.

l.jpg

next a few close ups of the steering knuckles, in case that helps to figure the year.

l.jpg

l.jpg

then a shot of the end that still has it's deusy bird logo...l.jpg

The other end is very similar so no picture, noteworthy differences are that the octagon cap is dented on one corner and has not got the deusy logo. Not to say that it is missing entirely, just not attached to the axle and probably in a box of parts that I haven't gone through yet.

Lastly, I found some more coolness when I started loading the rims into the truck. There are a pair of Buffalo 20's in nearly as good a shape as my axle, not certain that they belong to it but I will check to see if the splines match this weekend. Here's a few pics of one of them.

l.jpg

l.jpg

Hope these pictures help in identifying the axle. :cool:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...