A Beautiful Series 40 Came to Visit...

Guest Grant Magrath

Guest Grant Magrath

Great to catch up with Ross and his beautiful Series 40 sedan in the weekend.

180806_1839601508041_1180632791_32229474_8027675_n.jpg

167262_1839601708046_1180632791_32229475_6063148_n.jpg

179250_1839602148057_1180632791_32229476_1313009_n.jpg

179490_1839603188083_1180632791_32229478_485738_n.jpg

Note the 38 Special daily driver in the background! Nice to catch up with you again Ross! You've made dad very happy!

Cheers

Grant:D

They were an option Mike.

Great pics Grant !!!!

That pic answers the age old question,

"Is there anything better than a '39 Buick"??

answer YES !!

"2 '39 Buicks" !!!!

Danny

Excuse me,

I have to go and clean the drool from my keyboard........................ :):rolleyes::)

Guest Grant Magrath

Thanks for all your wonderful comments guys! I hope the weather picks up for you.

Mike, the park lights on the fender were an option, as Danny said. We've turned ours into indicators. Makes for easier driving around town. Ross's sedan is a New Zealand assembled car and it still has the brackets bolted underneath the car for securing it for transport! Now I reckon that's rare! Note the reveal moldings around the windows. And it's a Series 40! That's a Kiwi thing from new.

Cheers

Grant

I must catch up with you some time Grant as I think you live not too far from me (I am in Marshland Rd). I remember when I was at the Buick centenary get-together at Timaru in 2003, that there were enough 1939 cars there that owners were able to pick differences in them - maybe from earlier to later in the run?? Examples of differences were in the number of teeth in the grille, the number of stripes on the wiper mounts and the nomenclature of the numbers on the speedo. Is that cream coupe an NZ new car. As far as I can remember from my info which is buried in storage somewhere there were a few coupes imported new fully built up whereas the sedans were locally assembled. Total new Buicks in NZ in 1939 around 200 cars - including one Century sedan that lived in Christchurch for many years but last I heard was in Taupo.

Regarding 1939_Buick's comment about year dates in the rego - back in the days of black plates (up to the mid 1980s), you could order a plate with the date of your car on it as long as you were not fussy about the letters and it only cost the price of the plates - probably around $10. Nowadays you have to buy a 'personalised plate' and it costs several hundred dollars. I bought two year plates - IX1934 for the 1934 Buick 47 (since sold) and JA1965 for my Pontiac back in the 1970s. As long as I keep remembering to renew the 'registration hold' on the Pontiac that is in storage, every year, I can keep the plate.

....I remember when I was at the Buick centenary get-together at Timaru in 2003..........including one Century sedan that lived in Christchurch for many years but last I heard was in Taupo.
I was as Timaru in 2003. Have some photos . Also went to the 2003 NZ Buick meet in Napier and Flint, USA for the centenary.

The 1939 Century 60 now lives in Southland.

Regarding 1939_Buick's comment about year dates in the rego - back in the days of black plates (up to the mid 1980s), you could order a plate with the date of your car on it as long as you were not fussy about the letters and it only cost the price of the plates - probably around $10. Nowadays you have to buy a 'personalised plate' and it costs several hundred dollars. I bought two year plates - IX1934 for the 1934 Buick 47 (since sold) and JA1965 for my Pontiac back in the 1970s. As long as I keep remembering to renew the 'registration hold' on the Pontiac that is in storage, every year, I can keep the plate.

Here in KY, you can apply for an "antique plate" as long as your vehicle is 25 years old, and you get a plate that says "antique." If you do that, you can also legally just keep that plate in the car with the registration and run an original or remake of the plate from the year of your car. I periodically check eBay for a 1939 KY plate to put on mine when I register it.

Guest Grant Magrath

NZcarnerd, we're in Burwood. Not far at all. The car was imported from Lakewood, CO about 4 years ago as a project. It's originally a Californian car, Bryce Beige with a tan mohair interior. As you can now see, it's Sequoia Cream with a red leather interior now. Feel free to arrange a visit.

Cheers

Grant