Starting difficulty beginning

Roadster90

In the last week I have had some adverse starting symptoms that seem to be getting worse and occuring more often. I attempt to start and the engine spins the normal two times and fires - the problem is that the engine cuts off as soon as it fires. As if it only got a small spurt of gas and then gas cut off. SO as soon as it fires I have been depressing the gas pedal quickly and hold it down to the floor and it continues to run and run fine. I have never has an issue like this and need some suggetions please....

Thanks,

Nic

Turn on the key and wait 10 seconds and see if it makes any difference. A fuel pump that is leaking down or bad check valve in the fuel line (as well as a dirty filter) could be causing the start problem.

To add a little bit to Barney's suggestion, turn on the key and wait for 5 seconds. Turn off the key for about 5 seconds and then turn it back on for 5 seconds. Then start the car and see if it runs OK. If so that will tell you if you have a bad filter or pressure relief valve.

Also if you run the car regularly it should run good after the first start but if a car sits for a long period of time and then you start it up it might die when you put it in gear. In this case the computer loses some of it's memory and you simply have to drive the car for a few miles so the computer can relearn all it's setting.

You know Padgett....You are absolutely correct sir...and I had the exact problem with my early 1990 coupe >>>> AND you sir were the Knight in Shinning Armor that came along back then and helped - provided Two Seater and I with the Product or Service Circular addressing the problem situation, and we were able to resolve the problem with a used prom from Jim Finn. We had been trying to diagnosis the problem for weeks when you came into the picture - thanks again. However.... this is a 1991 roadster and I don't think that the circular covered the 91 models, but since you brought it up I sure would be grateful (again) if you cold look at the circular and advise.....(have no idea what happened to the copy you gave me)

Thanks,

Nic

Go back and see where you entered the post....that is the one I would (or somebody) should worry about......or does the worry Start with that post.....OMG !

Anyway, I use a container of fuel system cleaner about every 4 to 5 tankfuls on the 3 Reatta. I always take advantage of the BYGO deals that Advance has on the different cleaners and stock up.

My memory is slowly bringing back the details on the repair years ago when Padgett got involved with the circular. Then it was my 90 gray coupe, and it would cut off o the first start attempt....would start fine the second and the rest of the starts that particular day. I think that circular lists a certain Prom # that is to be replaced as well and that can be ascertained by the in car diagnostics....Padgett, if you find the circular Iwould appreciate a copy and or the prom number and the applicable year models please?

Thanks,

Nic

Guest Mc_Reatta

Technical Service Bulletin # 906E8 Date: 900201

Cold Engine Extended Crank

Bulletin 90-6E-8

Date Feb. '90

Ref. No. 90-061-6E

Corp. Ref. No. 906508R

SUBJECT: COLD ENGINE EXTENDED CRANK, BUT IF THE IGNITION KEY IS CYCLED, THE

ENGINE WILL START.

MODELS AFFECTED: SOME 1989 AND EARLY BUILT 1990 BUICK LESABRES, ELECTRAS,

RIVIERAS AND REATTAS EQUIPPED WITH THE 3800 ENGINE (VIN CODE

C)

Some 1989 through early built 1990 LeSabres, Electras, Rivieras and Reattas equipped

with the 3800 engine (VIN Code C), may exhibit a condition of a cold engine extended

crank, but if the ignition key is cycled, the engine will start.

If this condition is experienced on a vehicle with good fuel pressure and the basic

engine controls and systems are performing properly, it may be necessary to install a

new service Mem-Cal with a recalibrated fuel multiplier ratio during cranking.

Service Mem-Cals are currently available from GMSPO.

IMPORTANT: The new calibration Mem-Cals are curtently being used in production. Verify if this Mem-Cal is already installed by the Scanner ID

90 FED Reatta ID 8064 PN 161480

90 CAL Reatta ID 8074 PN 161480

</pre>

Edited by Mc_Reatta (see edit history)

Hey Folks,

It has been to cold for me to try to diagnosis or mess with the above describe symptom BUT th problem has gone away....car has been starting beautifully for a week ! ????? I always get back and report what I did but in this case nothing - thanks for the replies everyone....

:)

Nic

Also if you run the car regularly it should run good after the first start but if a car sits for a long period of time and then you start it up it might die when you put it in gear. In this case the computer loses some of it's memory and you simply have to drive the car for a few miles so the computer can relearn all it's setting.

Pray tell, if the battery is maintained, why/how would the "computer lose some of its memory," I wonder? That sounds a bit strange to me?