I'm working on the rear axle from a 1928 GB Commander sedan for the Indy car project. While the internals of the axle look very good, the axle taper and the threads are pretty bad. I guess I can run a thread chaser around the threads, but how should I clean up the 1:12 taper? It's pretty badly rusted and pitted. I'm making new hubs for knock-off wire wheels and I want to avoid wobbly wheels. New hubs will probably be made from annealed 4140 steel. I got the drawings for the original hubs, so I know the correct dimensions for the critical areas.

Does anyone have a pair of these shafts in better condition or NOS? Part number is 150025. Used on 1928 EW and GB Commanders with drum brakes. I need the nuts, too, p/n 113346.

axle_shaft_end_150025.jpg

Gary,

Just a thought, where you have the original spec's. it may be possible to skim them clean to a new OD undersize spec. then build you new hubs ID to a matching oversize. Everything would be new and tight. Any other progress, elsewhere, on your project? I hear your area may be in line for another winter BLAST!

I got the hub drawings from the museum, but not the axle drawing. I can always call them back and order it. I was hoping to just wire brush or use some fine abrasive cloth (~100-200 grit) to take the rust bumps off without actually re-machining the axle shafts.

The snow has already started here (7:30 am Tuesday). We're due for 6-11 inches. North and west may get 21 inches - and they already have a couple of feet on the ground and on their roofs. Ugly!

Here's a CAD drawing of the new hubs to take the '63 Buick 12" drums. Fronts are similar. I'm hoping to make them so the drums can be pulled off without removing the hubs. I'll need four 6.5" dia. bars of 4140 steel, 4" long to make these. The CNC machine shop down the road says, "No problem!" Only my checkbook will feel any pain, LOL. Most of the 40 lbs of each bar will wind up as chips, leaving about 10 lbs when done. The original rears were forged (by Kelsey-Hayes) and thoroughly annealed, the fronts were malleable iron.

rear_hub_indy1.jpg

I'm working on the rear axle from a 1928 GB Commander sedan for the Indy car project. While the internals of the axle look very good, the axle taper and the threads are pretty bad. probably be made from annealed 4140 steel. I got the drawings for the original hubs, so I know the correct dimensions for the critical areas.

Does anyone have a pair of these shafts in better condition or NOS? Part number is 150025. Used on 1928 EW and GB Commanders with drum brakes. I need the nuts, too, p/n 113346.

axle_shaft_end_150025.jpg

Whats the possibility that these will interchange??

1935-1937 STUDEBAKER REAR AXLE SHAFT-S84 - eBay (item 120416898677 end time Feb-25-11 12:24:42 PST)

Unfortunately, that part number seems to fit '35-'37 Dictators only. The good news is that there are some NOS axle shafts around, and I'm hoping to find one. VAP Inc has a lot of neat NOS parts in stock, like axle shafts and ring-and-pinion gears. Alas, they don't have what I wanted. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

From appearance the axle end taper surface would probably cleanup with .020 cut on the lathe. *I would think spinning it against some 120 crocus cloth would be adequate. The key height might have to be reduced so as not to apply excess load to the hub ID in key slot but with the length of the taper area I can't imagine the hub would have any looseness that would be perceived on the track. Even with an .040 change in depth the hub engages the axle should not be a problem. You do have the advantage of cutting new hub ID to match the axles at hand so hub centering is not even a problem.

For the axle end threads, they are a little ugly but I bought a tool on Ebay a few years ago you might want to try to find called a Blu Point TR-20 Re-threader device that has interchangeable thread dies that fit opposite the brass lined jaw that loads it against the threads to be corrected. It worked fine cleaning up my GB rear axle ends last year. Photo attached. It was essential to cleaning up the wheel hub outer hub cap threads 2-3/4"x16TPI that were well gouged up from poor fitting hub puller tools over the years.

With being stuck in the garage for the snow storm you should have the axles nice and shiny like the one in my photo by next weekend.

Stude8

post-31139-14313842868_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138428682_thumb.jpg

Great info, John! I've been looking at the NES re-threaders for the job, think I'll order one of those.

Unfortunately, I still have to drive to work in the snow. The 55 mile trip took about 2 hours yesterday moring, "only" 1.5 hours coming home - then I got to drive the snowblower around for an hour or so. The cold part of the storm passed mostly north of me, now we're just getting rain here on the South Coast of Massachusetts. But, I may get into the garage this weekend.

Gary

Since the correct taper is so important,I suggest that you use some lapping compound to see if there are high spots.

I have a complete rear end from a EW.

I have not pulled the drums yet so I am not sure if the shafts are useable.

If finally got rid of AT&T and use my cell phone only

815 212 2389

Robert Kapteyn