engine paint colors

dsut

restoring 1935 Dodge Bros w/ 6 cyl engine. got engine paint from bernbaum. but what color was the intake manifold, exhaust manifold, fan, oil filter, air cleaner, breather tube, oil filler tube and cap, generator and starter?

any help or reference appreciated

its going to be a great car when done. 4 door with dual sidemounts.

david g sutliff

• Like 1

restoring 1935 Dodge Bros w/ 6 cyl engine. got engine paint from bernbaum. but what color was the intake manifold, exhaust manifold, fan, oil filter, air cleaner, breather tube, oil filler tube and cap, generator and starter?

any help or reference appreciated

its going to be a great car when done. 4 door with dual sidemounts.

david g sutliff

Not sure what color the manifolds were painted (I am thinking silver), but the other bolt-on items were black.

Yes John is right Silver was the engine color from 1933-1959The intake and Exhust manifolds were painted silver too as the engine was assembled then painted.And belive it or not the small hose that goes from the water pump on top should have sliver over spray as the water pump was mounted before the engine was painted.

The other items mention were painted Black But the oil Filter that was supply by outside suppliers were painted different colors I belive orange body with black top for this era.But around 1940 the color was change to cream body and red top for this item.

Vern

vern, thank you so very much for that info. the guys who are doing the engine re build said they thought the manifolds would be engine color for the reason you mentioned. so maybe they will be best in engine silver.

the oil filter case seems to have been a light color with an AC decal and maybe cream, but the cover was too badly gooed up to tell what color it might have been. i think we will make it black.

also, as you seem to know about this, was the front engine mount bracket painted engine color? seems like it ought to, but it could be black perhaps. david

Vern is of course correct but I'll just add my 2 cents worth. I have a factory photo of a 1935 truck engine and it is all over silver EXCEPT for:

Fan blades, generator, starter motor, oil breather cap, gizmo that holds the 6 spark plug wires off engine, horn (horn bracket is silver), air cleaner, dip stick, parking/emergency brake handle which is gloss black with nickeled handle.

So everything else including: small hose on water pump including hose clamps(as Vern stated), bell housing, master cylinder, tranny, brake and clutch pedals, parking/emergency brake band, aforementioned cross piece with 'Floating Power' mount, and all springs and brackets associated with clutch and brake pedals and generator.

Unfortunetly I only have left side of the engine and it has no oil filter. In fact the oil line outlet/inlet are plugged with screwed in plugs. My '35 KCL came sans oil filter(I've put one on) so I guess it was optional.The photo say this was typical of all Dodge truck engines from 1935 to 1960.

• Like 1

I have here a photo of a 1936 Dodge engine compartment. Most of this is correct for colors. This photo will allow others to comment. There is an alternator mounted instead of the generator, but the color scheme is the same. The water pump was painted separately and installed later so the bypass hose is black. The fan belt (as I am told) should have no visible color markings.

The firewall should be a non-glossy black.

post-67404-143138428626_thumb.jpg

to dodge kcl and 1936 du: thank you so very much for that info. just so that i am clear on this, when you say 'everything else:----" all those components were engine silver? the trans and bell housing and the clutch/brake assembly? wow, that is going to look great.

we talked today that some oil filters were orange, and that photo sure shows that. thanks again

david

1936 D2

I knowest that your stud nuts on head and the tip of the studs are not painted silver that should be as the head was install before the engine was painted as stated that small hose and clamps need to be painted sliver also.

Vern

Along with the water inlet nuts.

vern,

forgive me but now i am confused. it the head was installed before the engine was painted, wouldn't the stud nuts be silver the same as the overall engine? they wouldn't have masked the nuts and tip of the stud would they? or did you mean that the stud nuts and studs tips WERE painted silver?

And THAT's how you keep them from getting rusty - like mine! Thanks guys! (Tips of the head studs and nuts should all be silver).

Yes. The bell housing, transmission case and cover, motor mounts (metal), linkages on starter, brackets and pulley for generator, pulley for the fan, fuel pump heat shield, breather tube, oil filler tube and engine oil pan are all SILVER.

The brake pedals, master cylinder, clutch pedal assembly with associated linkages, pedal base plate, radiator and engine side splash pans, transmission tower and shift lever, oil cap, air filter and fan are all BLACK.

I am told the spark plug's metal parts are a dark color similar to gun metal bluing and have white insulators (AC).

The carburetor is a natural "pot metal" aluminum color but the heat isolator near the bottom is black. The very bottom (throttle plate chamber) is cast iron.

The automatic choke and the distributor vacuum advance are both "natural" as well as all metal vacuum and fuel lines.

That's all I can remember for right now. :rolleyes:

post-67404-143138428705_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143138428707_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143138428708_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1936 D2
added info (see edit history)

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I guess I should have done this in the first place. This is a FACTORY photo from 1935. One thing puzzles me and that's the gear shift lever. I have 2 other photos taken at a distance of dodge truck engines and the gear shift lever is black BUT all the rest of the silver engine and black 'parts' agree with this photo. Why is the gear shift lever silver in this photo? Is it gloss black and it's shining?

post-31311-143138428894_thumb.jpg

vern,

forgive me but now i am confused. it the head was installed before the engine was painted, wouldn't the stud nuts be silver the same as the overall engine? they wouldn't have masked the nuts and tip of the stud would they? or did you mean that the stud nuts and studs tips WERE painted silver?

Yes These were painted silver sorry I should of been more actured.

Vern

Yes I agree with the black/brown gearshift levers. And the brake/clutch pedals are always black by the time the vehicle gets to market. Everyone seems to agree on the basic color designations on the engine I wonder how we reconcile the silver shift lever and pedal arms?

I wonder how we reconcile the silver shift lever and pedal arms?

Again, I say don't take every little detail in those factory PR photos as gospel. Having been in the advertising business as a creative director/graphic designer/commercial photographer for over 40 years I can tell you that those gorgeous models (including cars!) in the ads look a LOT different without the makeup and retouching!

And... was the truck engine setup a bit different than a car engine? ("DodgeKCL's" factory photo is of a truck engine).

What makes me wonder is the fact that the brake, master cylinder, and pedals are attached to the engine. In a '36 car, they are attached to the frame and would not be in this factory photo.

(More tidbits for discussion.)

• 2 weeks later...

I am really glad that this was posted as I (against all my friends advice) am trying to make an old DB "original" and it has been a nightmare finding information for some things, much less parts. My engine has an orange/faded red cylinder head. Was this factory? I heard an ol' timer-well older than me-say something about a redhead L6 once but didnt know if it was a real thing. And also, does anyone have a picture of an original reflector for a 34 early 35 DB Truck? My guide headlamp guide I just purchased off the bay only shows pics of the F's and C's from that era. Im still not sure exactly what taillight came on this truck.

I really love this site!!!

Knuckle...

You have come to the right place! You will get very specific answers to your restoration questions here. BUT, you need to be more specific what type of vehicle you have. Is yours a truck? If so, what year and model? What is the vehicle serial number and engine number? Many pieces of info can come from those numbers! Can you post any photos? No early Dodges I know of had red heads. It is highly possible you have a different engine in your vehicle than original, or at least the head was replaced.

It is VERY admirable to go for a full restoration on your vehicle. (Don't listen to your nay sayer friends). This is a very doable thing. And what you will learn along the way will surprise you, I'm sure!

Asking the right questions here will get you well on the way. Have fun! :D

I am really glad that this was posted as I (against all my friends advice) am trying to make an old DB "original" and it has been a nightmare finding information for some things, much less parts. My engine has an orange/faded red cylinder head. Was this factory? I heard an ol' timer-well older than me-say something about a redhead L6 once but didnt know if it was a real thing. And also, does anyone have a picture of an original reflector for a 34 early 35 DB Truck? My guide headlamp guide I just purchased off the bay only shows pics of the F's and C's from that era. Im still not sure exactly what taillight came on this truck.

I really love this site!!!

Chances are that if it does not say "REDHEAD" on the cylinder head in raised letters, it is not a "redhead " engine. If it is a redhead, it belongs in a late 20's or early 30's Chrysler. Correct above about no Dodges having a redhead engine (originally).

I really appreciate all the knowledge found here. I spend days/weeks on internet looking for stuff and just cant locate what I want.

OK here goes, 1935(early) K32 1 1/2 ton truck-136" wb.

Ser# is 8355163 for truck and T66456 for eng.

According to the printout I found the eng. is original.

I havent seen redhead stamped or embossed on the head but I can look again now that the snow has melted and can get to where its stored haha.

The first thing I am learning about is positive ground! Been wrenchbender for

35 years and ALWAYS thought + to gnd = large sparks. Its great.

Thanks again for the help.

post-67224-143138446262_thumb.jpg

• 9 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

1936 D2,

I saw the picture of your engine. Looks very nice. I have basically the same car except mine is a 1936 Desoto Airstream. I noticed you have a alternator, did you rewire the whole car for 12 volt?

• 2 months later...

does any body know what orange color the oil filter canister is on a 1935 dodge.

Mine is orange with black lid I am trying to repaint and find the correct color

repainting engine and compartment and all accessories engine block silver, intake, exhaust manifolds also fan air cleaner oil breather cap spark plug wire holder, starter ,generator  black got the silver from Bernbaum